Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1838 Large Cent For Grading

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 535Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
2839 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2022  1:27 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jerryc39 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
what grade would you give her? https://www.ebay.com/itm/125619325715
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13707 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2022  2:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF20
Pillar of the Community
United States
733 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2022  2:06 pm  Show Profile   Check CarrsCoins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CarrsCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
it might be low vf. its got some surface and color problems. I just sold this one for 1/3 of that price https://www.ebay.com/itm/304712721360
I collect low grade large cents. I currently have >230 Sheldon varieties and >235 middle date Newcomb varieties.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2839 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2022  2:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jerryc39 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was thinking low vf also. The coin sold for $14 or so with shipping had much more of a color problem. Obvious cleaning. I don't think the one I posted looked as bad. Numismedia has this year at $78 in vf-20 so $29 didn't seem like too far a stretch.
Edited by jerryc39
11/28/2022 2:19 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
733 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2022  2:24 pm  Show Profile   Check CarrsCoins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CarrsCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thats fair. 1/2 price then. to me they are pretty comparable. you didnt get robbed at 29 but it isn't an $80 coin in my opinion.
I collect low grade large cents. I currently have >230 Sheldon varieties and >235 middle date Newcomb varieties.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2839 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2022  2:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jerryc39 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
agreed. $80 would be way too high. The coin you sold went for a lower price than I would have thought too.
Edited by jerryc39
11/28/2022 2:29 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
75062 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2022  2:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm at VF-20 as well.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
733 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2022  5:30 pm  Show Profile   Check CarrsCoins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CarrsCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i thought so too. I had it up for a month or so buy it now @ 25 or best offer. it got no interest so I sent it to auction. it sold to an EAC dealer I know so I guess he thought it was worth more than that too.

yours may be a better variety too. N-4 is common. I dread attributing 1838s so I havent tried to figure yours out.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2839 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2022  6:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jerryc39 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know what you mean about trying to attribute these. I have the Wright book but am not good at using it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9440 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2022  8:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was thinking vf30 for this one.
IN NECESSARIIS UNITAS - IN DUBIIS LIBERTAS - IN OMNIBUS CARITAS
My coin e-commerce website:https://nummumcoins.com
Let me build your coin e-commerce website: https://nummumcoins.com/ur-site/
Help me optimize my photo setup: http://goccf.com/t/411871
Pillar of the Community
United States
9186 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2022  10:19 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm at F15 I thought higher at first but after looking at a few other similar coins, I convinced myself to lower the grade, it is a really nice looking coin with nary any real issues and it's got decent color and appeal, so That might just push it to a low VF20. It was a good price I think.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, Early American Coppers Member (EAC) #6202, Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), Conder Token Collector Club (CTCC), Civil War Token Society (CWTS), & Numismatic Bibliomania Society (NBS) Member in good standing, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Bedrock of the Community
United States
26130 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2022  11:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks VF-20 to me.
Learn More...
United States
16495 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2022  9:25 pm  Show Profile   Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Makes VF20 IMHO.
swcoin.ecrater.com
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 535Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: