Coin Community Family of Web Sites Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.
Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1964 SMS Lincoln Penny

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 434Next Topic  
United States
28 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2023  5:26 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MrShack33 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Looks satin with smooth finish.
Also has marking on reverse in memorial building that matches a true SMS penny

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4227 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2023  5:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think what you have is a 1964 Proof cent. It isn't a satin finish, but the coin has the mirror fields like the proof cent of that year.

The '64 SMS coins were never released to the public.
ANA ID: 3203813 - CONECA ID: N-5637 Clean a coin that may be worth collecting? Please DON'T! When in doubt, leave it dirty!!

Bedrock of the Community
United States
12943 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2023  6:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I believe I'm seeing a proof '64.
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
22809 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2023  6:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You have a better chance of being hit by lightning 3 days in a row and surviving than finding ANY 1964 SMS coin in the wild.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
81279 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2023  6:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, this is a proof.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1302 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2023  6:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add luvmyCAM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice looking proof not a 1964 Special Mint Cent coin. This is the known given story on 1964 SMS coins - the former U.S. Mint Director allegedly was given a small amount of 1964 SMS coins that were to be considerd for issue in 1965 instead of branch mint proofs. This same mint director ordered identifying mint marks be removed from all dies and mintages for 1965, 1966 and 1967. Reportedly her reasoning was "to discourage rampant hoarding and speculation by collectors who were causing a coin shortage". Sounds reasonable right...well no not really because at the time the U.S. Mint was swindling recouping (whatever they name it) all the silver coinage and melting it down yet were still producing silver dimes quarters and halfs another name for it is the old "cut back fake back play".
You see those trial specimen coins she inspected and considered for production in 1964 somehow amazingly walked out the door down the U.S. Mints steps and landed snuggly in her possession where they stayed for approximately 36 years. Wait it gets better...those same walking tiny footed coins (60 or so examples) were decades after her passing "discovered by her heirs" and ghaaalie they ended walked again right up too auction in the early 2000's thats incredibly incredible! One could assume the finger pointer pointing a finger at "hoarders" had 3 more pointing right back at her.
I've contemplated these 1964 issues and part of me thinks its pilfering government property and they all belong in the smelter or the Smithsonian collection, then part of me thinks without her taking these home we wouldn't have them or ability to maybe have a chance at one so all in all I give Old Eva a pass on the matter.
Never mind if I pilferind a case of toilet paper while in Army I would be administratively discharged lose all claim to a retirement pension and be swiftly shown the door. Whats good for goose isn't always good for gander I suppose. Your chance of finding an SMS 1964 Cent are close to impossible unless you buy one of the 20 examples already known and owned. Surprisingly their attainable at auction very infrequently and for $6,000 - $17,000 you can own one. If I had a money tree I might buy one but for now its on my wish list.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1302 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2023  6:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add luvmyCAM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not bashing old Eva as for some reason unknown to me she got a pass from someone on those coins and I betcha she could keep it on the down low ... and she did because loose lips sink ships and no ships got sunk over those SMS coins. But just think if I was a curator at the Fort Riley Army Museum and took an army issue buffalo robe, a troop guidon from the 7th 9th or 10th Cavalry or some of the Custers silver setting home for deep storage? How well would that fly if I auctioned those off?
1964 SMS manifesto has ended...thank you and God bless the United States of America.
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
22809 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2023  6:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
allegedly was given a small amount of 1964 SMS

I disagree, I'd bet a few bucks she had them made, and took them. She was the Head Honcho in the building.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1302 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2023  7:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add luvmyCAM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Forum Dad I can't get too nutty so kept it in 2nd gear but yes I agree...she likely put them in a big J.C. Penny leather shoulder purse and breezed out the door at 5:00 pm nodding goodnight to the security guards at the front desk. I love it then she took them home laid them out on her night stand and spent 30 years studying them under a 10 loop saying very interesting very very interesting. I gotta stop while the stoppings good LOL that rascal pilferd them tharn coins!
But boy...would I like to own one.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
22268 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
2910 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2023  7:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wonder if said US Mint Director might have had a 64-D Peace dollar or two in that sock drawer.
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
22809 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2023  7:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
LuvMyCam, no one knew about them until she died over 20 years later.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2848 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2023  7:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hondo Boguss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In a similar vein to Eva's "appropriation" of these SMS coins, it's amazing how many "constructed" error coins find their way out of the mint.
Inordinately fascinated by bits of metal with strange markings and figures
Pillar of the Community
Canada
5730 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2023  2:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
BOBBY is right.

LUMY: what you say is partially true, but with a lot of fiction.

If we go back in time, and we can have access to some documents, we will find out that those coins was an essay coins in sets to prove to the congress that could be economies in the production. Not all the sets finish in the hands of Eva. (who can read: the interview of Eva for the ANA presidency candidature).By Mint Essay documents was approx. 50 sets.

Been essay production me I am skeptical to be performed in Phil. so was more easy for Eva to have and distribute the sets.

Personally I do not understand why we let go again and again those questions here?
Never argue with an idiot. First they will drag you down to their level. Then, they will beat you with experience. (MARK TWAIN)
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 434Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: