Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Black Stain Removal

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Philippines
1156 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2009  08:05 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Nic to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
How are ancient coins cleaned? I often see these images on the web, these examples in particular are from RNG and shows clean coins without any stain left. What is the method to remove the completely black stain covering the entire coin? Thank you for the comments

Learn More...
United States
22329 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2009  08:49 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are several methods used to clean ancient coin. I will go over my method. I'm sure others have different methods. The first thing I do when I get unclean coins is to remove the loose dirt by washing the coins in warm water with a little mild soap added. The coins are than rinsed and dried. Next the coins are soaked in extra virgin olive oil to loosen the caked on dirt, this may take anywhere from a few days to several months. My next step can be dangerous and could damage the coin if your not very very careful. I use fine dental tools to remove more of the caked on dirt. I than ultrasound the coins in distilled water which removes more or the dirt and lastly I let the coins soak in distilled water for a week or so. The objective is to remove as much dirt as possible without damaging the patina or destroying the coin. Cleaning ancient coins is not a quick process, it takes time and patients to do it right.
Valued Member
United States
297 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2009  3:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add unnkown95 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
until you are positive you know what your doing just leave them how they are
Pillar of the Community
Philippines
1156 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2009  02:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nic to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you echizento and unknown95
Learn More...
Australia
13093 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2009  06:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A couple of things to point out:

- Ancient coins are supposed to be patinated, and this patina is often dark in colour. Brass, in particular, turns black after a couple of thousand years underground. An ancient coin that looks like shiny metal, or even resembling a modern circulated coin, has probably been overcleaned.

- People that take and post pictures of coins that actually are quite dark often brighten up the image so that the details can be seen in the picture. This could well have been done to the pics in your OP.

I should also add the lower pic is a silver coin; those normally clean up much better than bronze copper or brass coins.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
Philippines
1156 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2009  5:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nic to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks sap, the lower pic being silver is a surprise for me because of its color-brown. Looking at the pics again with image alteration in mind, I do tend to agree, that's probably why coins just seems to appear so "clean". thanks again!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.53 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05