Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Uk~ Interesting Find From The Circulation In The Uk~

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 37
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
941 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2014  5:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add andyg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2014 standard £1's are out too....
Valued Member
United Kingdom
246 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2014  3:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Red to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Got a few 50p's but not seen the pounds yet.

What I did come across was a possible die-crack on the Glasgow 50p's.

Two specimens found at the same time both have extremely similar 'cracks'. Have to wait and see if more turn up.

Also, one of the 2014 Standard 50p's has a mech-doubled Tails. The "Fifty Pence" is extremely 'mushy' and there's a shadow on the lions etc.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
837 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2014  7:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DaytR to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yesterday I got a nicely toned Abolition of the Slave trade 2 pound coin (left coin in pictures). It still has a nice lustre visible (see pictures of obverse) and amazingly has very few scratches - I figure hadnt been in circulation for too long . The lettering was well defined compared to similar higly circulated coins and the rims looked quite nice.....out of interest I put it next to the nastiest Abolition 2 pound coin I have ever received in change (on the right in images)

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
5689 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2014  07:25 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Got this in change on Thursday - 2005 Gibraltar 10p:

Edited by NumisRob
09/20/2014 07:26 am
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
5689 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2014  03:00 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
... and yesterday I got a 2014 (standard shield reverse) 50p and a fake 2001 £1 in change! The fake £1 was worn, yellow, correct reverse for the date but had fuzzy details, a rather poor edge legend and 90-degree misalignment of the obverse and reverse dies.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
837 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2014  1:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DaytR to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Got this in change on Thursday - 2005 Gibraltar 10p

Oh wow ,fascinating stuff !

Quote:
and yesterday I got a 2014 (standard shield reverse) 50p ..and a fake 2001 £1 in change!

Its funny you mention 50p`s because today I only got my first 2013 shield 50p ...and nicely enough a Belfast £1 ....I had nearly left the shop without buying but I am glad I bought something

That 2001 fake you described sounds like a couple I have got! did you keep the fake £1 ?
Edited by DaytR
09/22/2014 2:01 pm
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
5689 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2014  2:09 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
did you keep the fake £1 ?

Yes, it's in my Rogues Gallery with all my others. Here it is!
Edited by NumisRob
09/22/2014 2:10 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
246 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2014  06:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Red to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A couple of nice pick-ups today.

First of all... the first 2014 £2 I've come across.

and a total mishmash of a fake pound coin...
It doesn't know what it wants to be LOL

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
837 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2014  1:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DaytR to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am glad you have finally got that fake ! The funny story is -I got one like that at the supermarket in October 2012 and I hadnt seen one on your website and was wondering if more examples were still out there
Valued Member
United Kingdom
182 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2014  8:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Moralclimate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Got outbid on two such 'new dies' Forth Bridge this year on eBay. Lucky both of you. And that over-stamped edge is indeed unusual. Incidentally, the "error" steel-centred £2 with defective core back on auction if anyone's interested...
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
837 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2014  2:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DaytR to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I got my best ever 1985 £1 coin in change , even though it lost its lustre it was in great shape ,had few scratches compared the beat up 1985 £1 coins that are common out there and the bottom of the leek and the words "ONE POUND" were still nicely visible .....

anyway while still on the subject of the fake from yesterday, I dug out the one I got almost 2 years ago....

Quote:
Incidentally, the "error" steel-centred £2 with defective core back on auction if anyone's interested...

Interesting stuff ....
Valued Member
United Kingdom
246 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2014  05:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Red to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There's still some unusually clean coins turning up.
Past few weeks I've found an aunc 2006 20p, and more surprisingly an aunc 1982 20p !!
Also found a few Glasgow 50p's with a slight mech-doubled tails.
And....

Not a big rotation, but a rotation nonetheless.

Also noticed I had a specimen of the fake £1 earlier, but this one has a normal pathways edge.

http://ukfakeanderrorcoins.50webs.c...FORTH9.2.jpg

What does yours have DaytR ?
One thing I noted, all 3 examples have some sort of distortion between 5 & 7 o'clock on the tails side between the edge and the track circle.

(Also not sure if it has been mentioned but the £1 on the first post of this thread by mollydeii looks like a fake to me. I haven't read the whole thread, but when I came to edit this post, the first thread post came up)
Edited by Red
10/02/2014 05:22 am
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
837 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2014  4:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DaytR to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have also seen a few new looking old coins turning up , some people must be splitting sets or spending their collections .... Well done on getting that fresh new 1982 20p

The edge on my fake looks more like the left edge on the fake in the link. You are right on the money about the distortions , on the 5 O`clock position on my fake there is a raise lump of metal connecting the edge and the railway tracks (underneath the you in POUND) ......a die crack perhaps ? Maybe the one I got was minted after the samples you have ....

Interesting development regarding the 2014 5p , I have checked tonnes of 5p coins for rotation errors and so far zilch but I am glad to hear about your find .....there seems to be loads of 2014 5p` s turning up everywere at the moment

Quote:
but the £1 on the first post of this thread by mollydeii looks like a fake to me

Interesting stuff , if it is then its another one of these high quality fakes .....its funny you mention this as I have a 1990 dated pound coin with a simlar colour and tone that I suspect is fake .....
Edited by DaytR
10/02/2014 4:16 pm
United Kingdom
32 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2014  1:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add allthe2ps to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@RED .... Thanks for the heads up on the 2014 £2's. :)
I went to the bank today and struck lucky! Hopefully the Trinity House and WWI coins will be circulating soon too.

I also got a possible fake £2. The Nat West automated coin teller rejected it...

@andyg ...I haven't come across any 2014 £1 coins though yet as reported :(
Edited by allthe2ps
10/03/2014 1:41 pm
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
941 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2014  6:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add andyg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
£2 is definitely fake - a nice one too!

No special £1's yet.

Page: of 37 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05