Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Uk~ Interesting Find From The Circulation In The Uk~

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 37
Valued Member
United Kingdom
246 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2014  06:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Red to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm still yet to come across one of these good fake £2's... all mine are terrible.

Found a couple of errors in 2014 coins this morning.

Firstly, a 2014 pound where (i assume) some metal from the rim has come away and sprung up over the face of the coin
pre strike.

Secondly, 2014 £2 coin with an irregular width outer ring (albeit very small) resulting in part of what is usually the inner pattern being struck on the outer ring.

It's nothing special, but interesting nonetheless.

Oh and here's the 1982 20p, again nothing really special but certainly been hidden away for a LOT of years.

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
5711 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2014  4:26 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had my first 2014 £1 today but haven't had a Commonwealth Games 50p yet!
Valued Member
United Kingdom
182 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2014  7:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Moralclimate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@allthe2ps, that's certainly one of the latest £2 series we've been discussing on the Fake £1 thread, does yours respond to a magnet also? (Have to be scientific about this!)

Also, it's remarkable that in spite of all the similar appearing on eBay and elsewhere, no sign yet of a £1 coin from the same outfit (i.e. deep yellow brass combined with young age, extraordinarily realistic edge motto).

@RED, I wouldn't say they're dramatically better than your 'enlarged 2011' £2, they're not even as good on some counts.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
772 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2014  08:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tom Goodheart to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oddly I found a fake 2011 £2 the other day too. First I've ever spotted. The Queen's hair was too detailed and the hologram centre to the reverse was just an engraved pattern. Otherwise it was a 'good effort' (8/10!)

Sadly it was at work and I know Wifey would not be happy if I swapped yet more legal tender for fakes, so I haven't got it to photograph.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
5711 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2014  4:34 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just been to Pizza Hut with a lady friend. The bill came to £27. She got out £13.50 and put it on the table. I noticed the 50p was dated 2011 - I turned it over and it was an Olympic swimming one. So naturally I swapped it for 50p of my own money. It was the normal type without the water across the swimmer's face, but was in good nick - I'd say Almost Uncirculated.
United Kingdom
32 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2014  02:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add allthe2ps to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@moralclimate No my fake £2 coin is not magnetic at all , inner or outer.

Still no 2014 £1's in sight with me :(
Valued Member
United Kingdom
182 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2014  6:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Moralclimate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks allthe2ps. I'm so glad I asked. There really are no 'knowns'. So maybe your centre is a non-magnetic stainless steel, though I've read that both magnetic and non-magnetic portions can sometimes be found in certain stainless steel alloys.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
837 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2014  6:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DaytR to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I noticed the 50p was dated 2011 - I turned it over and it was an Olympic swimming one

Interesting stuff speaking of which , what topping did choose for your pizza ? Was this the same friend you got the Jersey £2 from ? And , was that swimming 50p a hole filler in your collection ?
United Kingdom
32 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2014  1:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add allthe2ps to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yesterday, in Wetherspoons, I was given an identical fake £2 coin in change to that which I have above.

It is the first time I've done it but I returned the coin as fake and, to the credit of Wetherspoons, they gave me valid change and put the £2 coin aside so it wouldn't get re-used.

So in short, thank you Wetherspoons and secondly watch out as there must be a batch of fake 2011 £2 coins just entering circulation.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
837 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2014  6:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DaytR to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I was given an identical fake £2 coin in change to that which I have above

Fascinating stuff , I have seen a few similar fakes selling on eBay recently so I guess someone out there made a load of them and whoever made them could still be at as moralclimate suggested . There must quite a bunch out there given the increasing number of people who have popped up and reported getting them recently....

One thing that has intrigued me is that information suggests that they are turning up in North London quite a bit ...... did you by any chance get yours around North London ?

Did you try and scratch your fake 2 pound coin (on page 12) to see if it was spray painted or is it really bi-metallic ?
Edited by DaytR
10/10/2014 6:28 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
182 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2014  9:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Moralclimate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ DaytR, allthe2ps. I think it's fair to assume this kind, with that centre finish, are all bi-metallic based on http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Minter-...281418222850 and also http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Pound-E...ig_cvip=true ('bargain'?). And are of several dates. It's the other kind with the 'enlarged' date that have all been 2011 so far. See Fake £1 thread, pp.13-14 and also p.8. But as to where these types are turning up, more info yes please!
United Kingdom
32 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2014  4:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add allthe2ps to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My fake £2 is painted and can be found on the south coast.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
837 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2014  5:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DaytR to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thats very interesting , since it is painted I wonder if it could be from that gang that was busted in the build up to the Olympics ....

@morlaclimate
interesting links ! lizzyanne must be a happy bunny with the chunk of change she made from flogging that "error" ! And the London connection is there again with the coin on the second link ...hmmm.

It is worrying that an, as yet, unidentified gang or individual is minting bi-metallic fakes , it makes me wonder about what someone posted somewere about the possibility of forgers switching to 2 pound coins since they will soon be the easier prey so to speak .....

Valued Member
United Kingdom
182 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2014  07:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Moralclimate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ allthe2ps, when you say it is painted, is it only the ring that is painted, underneath being a duller, slightly more pinkish metal? I'm basing this on the first eBay example I just referenced, looking again at all the photos in the original listing. Which incidentally may be another case of avoided nickel use.

If it is NOT thus, please can you post a close-up photo showing the exposed metal(s)?

@ DaytR, for an image of the pre-Olympic bust fake £2 see http://www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v15n21a29.html (copy of Sun paysite article): very different looking and mono-metallic.

See also: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/rare-2-po...121457674631 (new series again, also South coast): note in the photos, how exact the edge engraving looks, except that on this example it seems someone has retouched the second G roughly on the master positive image. Final 2 pics are of a normal-looking £2, as the seller states.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
246 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2014  09:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Red to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Grr.. Was up at my grans last week and forgot to get some pics of her fake £2.

However... look what I spotted the other day.
"Set" of three 2014 pounds with the same fault, presumably from a damaged die ?

Also.. another two 2014 St Johns Chapel Isle of Man pound coins
(One of which incidenally was the first 2014 pound I found in circulation this year!!)
Edited by Red
10/12/2014 09:47 am
Page: of 37 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.29 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05