Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Uk~ Interesting Find From The Circulation In The Uk~

First page | Previous Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 569 / Views: 111,865Next Topic
Page: of 38
Valued Member
United Kingdom
374 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2020  03:56 am  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You did well to get Flopsy and Peter Rabbit with the Radishes - both those are already quite scarce. They made less of both of those, and also Mrs Tittlemouse, than they did of Jemima Puddleduck, and they are already selling for 10 each or more.

Paddington at St Pauls is pretty common, as is him at the Tower of London - you should get that fairly easily.

The Brexit coin should be very common - they are making 10M of them, so five times as common as Jemima.
Learn More...
United States
86151 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2020  09:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I finally got my first one today, together with my first 2018 Flopsy Bunny and a 2019 Paddington at St Paul's (still waiting for the Tower of London one). I sorted through 200 worth of 50p's from the bank to get them!
Excellent!
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
6754 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2020  2:20 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I needed to go to the bank today so decided to get 20 in 50p coins. I didn't want to get too many, as (a) I was on my pushbike, and (b) the branch I visited is normally my 'dump bank' and I was worried I might get back some coins I dumped a few weeks ago.

One of the 10 bags was quite normal, without a single commemorative. The other was amazing! Nothing valuable, but 12 of the 20 coins were commemoratives!

3 x 2019 Paddington at St Paul's
1 x 2019 Paddington at Tower of London *** Collection Addition! ***
2 x 2019 Sherlock Holmes
1 x 2018 Paddington at Station
1 x 2018 Tailor of Gloucester
1 x 2017 Mr Jeremy Fisher
1 x 2006 Victoria Cross soldier
2 x 2005 Johnson's Dictionary

I've never had so many commemoratives in one bag before, except for two occasions when I've been given a sealed bag of Uncirculated 50p's. Maybe someone was saving them and then decided to bank them...
Learn More...
United States
86151 Posts
Valued Member
United Kingdom
103 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2020  08:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Collector28 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Picked up a Sherlock Holmes 50p this morning that must be the nicest example I've found - it is absolutely stunning.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
374 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2020  09:02 am  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One of the regular collectors I know went to the bank for 250 of 50ps last week, in the hope of picking up a few commemoratives. The good nees was that every single one was one!

The bad news was that they were ALL Brexit! In unopened bags!
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
6754 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2020  10:03 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The bad news was that they were ALL Brexit! In unopened bags!

I haven't had one yet! I got out 100 in 50p's and 20 in 20p's from the bank yesterday. No interesting 50p's and only four commemoratives - two Benjamin Bunnies and two Tom Kittens! The 20p's were more interesting - I got a 1988 Gibraltar and an addition for my collection - a 2004 Isle of Man showing Castle Rushen Clock!
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
696 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2020  07:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tenbobbit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All 3 of these came in the last week, I had pretty much given up on the 1st WW coin.
Then I get the Mary Rose and another Comedies.
The Mary Rose is common enough to me but the other 2 not so.

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
6754 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2020  08:05 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congratulations, tenbobbit! I have never had a Shakespeare Comedy coin in circulation!
Learn More...
United States
86151 Posts
Valued Member
United Kingdom
103 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2020  11:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Collector28 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No new finds of late, though have got people looking out for me. Annoyingly they keep producing NIFCs and charging extortionate amounts for them, which I simply refuse to pay. The Royal Mint has really gone down in my estimation in these past few years - it used to be that all 50ps and 2s got released and if you wanted a slightly nicer one then you'd buy it - it was good for the collecting hobby as a whole because younger collectors could afford to save the odd 50p/1/2 they got and they were happy because they didn't need to pay 10+ for each design, even if their's might be circulated. Those who had the funds could buy the uncirculated examples, though it wasn't really required if you wanted to get all the designs. Nowadays, there are so many coins being produced that aren't released that it can be quite demoralising, knowing that your collection is missing a bunch of designs that you are unable to obtain through honest searching, and being unable to buy the plethora of "collector's editions". I started collecting when I was a young child, and would get really excited when I got a new design, often using most of my pocket money swapping for designs I needed (and it was affordable). The Royal Mint claims to want to encourage collectors, but by doing acts like this they are only serving to put people off, since they may reason that there's no point in only being able to get a partially complete set without resorting to paying through the nose.
Edited by Collector28
03/20/2020 11:25 am
Pillar of the Community
Turkey
714 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2020  4:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add molydeii to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bumping into a thead I made years and years ago, I still really enjoy reading this one! I used to travel to the UK frequently before 2015, and after that date, I had only been there once in 2018 to Nottingham. And yes, I had seen bimetallic Pound coins circulating. I can say I hated them :)

I decided to put up this one below. I found that in circulation sometime before 2015 in Edinburgh. We,ght and shape seems like genuine, and I remmber it got me very excited to receive a 1998 one pound coin. I wanted to share that here today. Its below :

Check my wantlist for possible trades at : http://goccf.com/t/373756
Edited by molydeii
05/09/2020 4:15 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
183 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2020  4:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Moralclimate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a fake, but a very good one. As you may know, only BUNC etc 1 were released for that year; MOST 1998s found in circulation were fakes. And that remains true even if one EXCLUDES some inferior fakes that had a spoofed Jersey 1998 obverse and wrong reverses, which were also numerous. More information here: http://www.thefakepoundcoindatabase...rieties.html
Pillar of the Community
Turkey
714 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2020  5:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add molydeii to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thats what got me excited : possibility of finding a NRFC coin in circulation. Examinig it, I feel like it's a legit coin but somehow some poorly stuck lettering may indicate that its a forgery - I'll try to get better pictures tomorrow.

When checked the forged 1 Pound database, this one could be my 1998 1 Pound coin : http://www.thefakepoundcoindatabase.../ARMS27.html
Check my wantlist for possible trades at : http://goccf.com/t/373756
Page: of 38 Previous TopicReplies: 569 / Views: 111,865Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05