Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Uk~ Interesting Find From The Circulation In The Uk~

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 605 / Views: 115,275Next Topic
Page: of 41
Pillar of the Community
Turkey
726 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2020  5:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add molydeii to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Collector28 : I'd say it's very similar here as well, even though in here we literally have only one (1) circulating commemorative coin. We have two others but they're minted 1 million each and up yo today, since they were minted in 2012, I found one of each in circulation. Rest are at the hands of the collectors I suppose so can't really call them circulating. The other one, it's minted at 80 million (!) pieces, and suposed to circulate alongside some 600 million 1 Lira coins, yet it's not that easy to spot them in circulation. I know some people personally, who has hoarded hundreds of them in any grade thinking they're rare or will become sought after at some point.

I agree that anyone can do whatever they please with their money yet it would be nice to see those circulating around so that they'll arise some interest specialy in younger people for coin collecting. And I also wish we had a more interesting circulating coin scala here, as I absolutely do not find the post-2009 designs, or any design minted after 2000 intersting at all. But that is something totally different.
Check my wantlist for possible trades at : http://goccf.com/t/373756
Pillar of the Community
Australia
777 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2020  7:34 pm  Show Profile   Check ryurazu's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ryurazu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Collector28 true I can understand you point of view a it only takes about 1% of people doing this and it becomes a serve problem, however most people think that this will help them in the long term (either money wise or collecting wise) since they think that its a sure bet they it collectable or semi-collectable coins will go up in value. I more into hoarding silver and gold collection :), up to them what they want to hoard and that they don't realise that those coins are probably going to get dmg/toning over time even in airtight due to material they are many of.

its worse then they withdraw all the money from ATMs (hahaha), we have problem of people hoarding large mint bags full of certain dates
Edited by ryurazu
05/29/2020 7:43 pm
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
977 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2020  1:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add andyg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just have a thought for the poor coin dealer, who, when that collector decides to sell his valuable collection, is going to have to explain that those 50p coins are worth 50p.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
170 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2020  3:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Collector28 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@andyg - very true, the fact is that most of the coins in circulation are going to be worth face value. 2008 Britannias, while a relatively low mintage, are going to be worth 50p unless they're in truly amazing condition - ditto for most others. I don't see any merit in saving so many of a design (unless it's a REALLY rare one, I could understand not spending them at face value). Like, if you've been able to find 438 of them then they clearly aren't rare enough to command some sort of premium.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
170 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2020  06:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Collector28 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Has anyone had any luck finding commemoratives lately? It seems like months since I got one in change even for the common ones, whereas going back some years I used to probably get at least one or two a week on average. Are they really being hoarded that badly, or do I just live in an area where there's less supply of them?

It's my birthday soon, and I was asked by a friend if there was anything I particularly wanted. I asked if she could try and find me one of the circulating coins I'm missing when she's working at the bar, might only cost her 50p but honestly I think that'd really make my day.
Edited by Collector28
07/25/2020 06:44 am
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
7466 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2020  07:30 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I haven't had as many coins in change as usual since lockdown, and I haven't had a single commemorative!

I asked at my local bank about getting some bags of 50p and 2 coins to go through, and the cashier said it probably wasn't worth the bother, as shops and businesses are using so few coins at the moment that any bags of coins in the bank had probably already been checked through by collectors and returned!
Valued Member
United Kingdom
170 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2020  09:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Collector28 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not sure whether I should be glad I'm not the only one having such awful luck, or sad that it seems to be widespread that they are hard to find. Where on earth are they?

It's not as though I want to get a gigantic hoard of them, I just want to be able to complete my circulation sets.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
699 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2020  06:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tenbobbit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have gone the opposite way of thinking due to the time spent in lockdown.

A hobby is something that you enjoy, sadly the fun has long gone.

The sundries I have will either go back into circulation or maybe fill a gap or two in someone else's collection.

After that I will be done with it and can put the time & money to far better use.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
170 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2020  06:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Collector28 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Really sorry to hear that, tenbobbit - are you giving up collecting altogether?
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
699 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2020  07:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tenbobbit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will still be collecting ancients but, as far as modern coins are concerned I am done.

The FUN aspect has gone and why continue when the only way to complete a set requires one to BUY circulation coins

Time to clear the decks and put the money to better use.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
170 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2020  1:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Collector28 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't really blame you, tenbobbit. Were it not for the fact I'm almost complete with the sets, I'd probably jack it in too.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
170 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2020  07:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Collector28 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I went to an amusements the other day, was hoping to find a few oddities in the coins. Unfortunately no alphabet 10ps but did get 2p coins from both the Isle of Man and Ireland. I also saw a "NEW PENCE" 2p coin on one machine that looked as though it was straight from a mint set - it didn't even have circulation tarnish and it literally could have come directly from a set into the machine. Unfortunately there wasn't a hope in heck of winning it so it stayed there.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
7466 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2020  05:31 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yesterday I got 500 in 2 coins and 250 in 50p coins from the bank.

There was nothing spectacular. Newest 2 coins were dated 2015 - lots of 'Technology' definitive ones and a couple of WW1 Navy ones. The most unusual find was a 2007 Act of Union coin with a slightly off-centre cupro-nickel middle - it's definitely very slightly egg-shaped. On the obverse the brass rim looks visibly narrower on one side than on the other - look at the gap between the 'TH' of 'ELIZABETH' and the middle!

The 50p's were fairly unexciting: no Brexits, two Paddingtons, a single Tailor of Gloucester, one Olympic (Wrestling) and lots of 2019 standard shield reverse coins.

Also, yesterday I got my first 2019 5p in change!
Edited by NumisRob
08/21/2020 09:07 am
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
7466 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2020  04:27 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Finally finished going through my 2 coins and discovered that one of the 2015 'Navy' coins is the so-called 'flag' variety!

Here's the standard coin:

This one looks as if the ship's flying a flag, but it's actually a die chip:

The 'flag' coin also has a slightly mis-shaped cupro-nickel center - look at the distance between "1914-1918" and the center when compared with that between "THE FIRST" and the center...
Learn More...
United States
89910 Posts
Page: of 41 Previous TopicReplies: 605 / Views: 115,275Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.11 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05