Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Uk~ Interesting Find From The Circulation In The Uk~

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 663 / Views: 125,012Next Topic
Page: of 45
Pillar of the Community
Australia
819 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2021  5:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm starting to drool again!

Just got my Brit citizenship the other day but can't go there in the foreseeable future.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
216 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2021  09:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Collector28 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Got the following from a nice man at the bank today:

- Shakespeare Tragedies
- Shakespeare Histories
- Magna Carta
- 2015 Britannia
- Great Fire of London

50p
- Paddington at the Palace
- Mr Jeremy Fisher
- Mrs Tittlemouse
- Mrs Tiggy-Winkle
- WWF

None of these are new for me, but some will get me closer to completing a 2nd and 3rd circulation set, as well as helping out collector friends I have. That, plus I didn't exactly want to say I'd got them all as it might make him less likely to help in future! The 2015 Britannia was a particularly good score - they're very uncommon.

He actually had a load of commemoratives - he brought out a bag of 2s and a bag of 50ps he'd saved and let me look through them. He's also going to let me have banknotes from the "for destruction" pile (though I don't want to take advantage of his good nature too much - he's said he's really not meant to give them out, but will bend the rules if there are any I really want.)
Edited by Collector28
07/20/2021 09:23 am
Learn More...
United States
103663 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
9215 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2021  3:10 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great haul! The Magna Carta and Great Fire two-pound coins aren't that common either!
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
9215 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2021  1:04 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I needed to go to my bank today and asked the cashier if they had any 2 coins. She said they were short of change and only let me have 100 worth (50 coins).

I wasn't expecting much, but the first bag I opened contained the coin I've been after for five years...
...Shakespeare Comedy!

Another of the bags yielded one of the scarce 2015 Britannia coins (mintage only 650,000).
Edited by NumisRob
07/28/2021 3:44 pm
Learn More...
United States
103663 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Germany
672 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2021  02:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add redlock to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great finds
Valued Member
United Kingdom
216 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2021  08:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Collector28 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Went to an amusements arcade yesterday for some fun on the 2p machines. A few notable finds:
- 1926 half penny
- 1971 Manx 2p
- 1993 Manx 2p
- 2002 Jersey 2p
- 2021 2p

I spent ages trying to win that 1993 Manx 2p on a machine (I always go for the machines where there's an interesting coin, makes it more fun to play). It was in that annoying position where it's close to the edge, but held back by others, however I was determined to win it. Having fed over a fiver into the machine with no luck (and winning just about every other coin nearby), I rather shamelessly decided to plead my case to an attendant in the hopes of not leaving for food without it. She happily opened the machine to let me swap it out (even letting me grab the coin, since she didn't know which I meant because "they all look the same to me"...I suppose if you work there, they probably would!). Having done that, she asked me why I'd fed over a fiver into the machine when I could have just asked her in the first place

I wish I'd thought of doing that earlier, there was one from the Falklands too further back but I could no longer locate where it was after I'd fed all my money in.
Edited by Collector28
08/12/2021 08:39 am
Learn More...
United States
103663 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1076 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2021  3:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add andyg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
'tis much more fun to win it though.

I have been known to spend a bag full of "interesting" 2p coins in the arcade :)
Valued Member
United Kingdom
216 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2021  03:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Collector28 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is indeed more fun, but there's a limit as to how much I'm willing to spend to win one!
Edited by Collector28
08/13/2021 03:48 am
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1829 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2021  07:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
She happily opened the machine to let me swap it out (even letting me grab the coin, since she didn't know which I meant because "they all look the same to me"

Haha nice.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
9215 Posts
 Posted 08/29/2021  05:15 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I won a Jersey 2002 10p in my local amusement arcade on Wednesday:

I got 100 in 2 coins from the bank the same day and found this possibly unique hybrid 1997/1998 2 coin!

Someone has taken the middle out of a 1997 2 coin (the only issue with the Maklouf portrait) and inserted it (the wrong way around) into the outer ring of a 1998 2 coin! Somewhere no doubt there is a 1997-dated outer ring with a Rank-Broadley portrait center...
Learn More...
United States
103663 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Australia
819 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2021  9:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Someone has taken the middle out of a 1997 2 coin (the only issue with the Maklouf portrait) and inserted it (the wrong way around) into the outer ring of a 1998 2 coin!

The distrustful skeptical side of me reckons that 'someone' was trying to manufacture a 'mint error' coin to flog for a wad of cash and discarded it when the their sloppy efforts wouldn't fool a yogurt.
Edited by David Graham
09/05/2021 9:32 pm
Page: of 45 Previous TopicReplies: 663 / Views: 125,012Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05