Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Latest Banknotes Acquisition. List Them Here.

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 1,646 / Views: 116,007Next Topic
Page: of 110
Valued Member
Learn More...
Sweden
327 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  04:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Correct, Arc de Triomphe, the monument commissioned by Napoleon to commemorate the victories of the French armies.

The reverse shows the Dome of the Hôtel des Invalides, where Napoleon's body rests in a huge stone sarcophagus.
Valued Member
United States
459 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  5:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dave L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There's been some really nice additions lately. That French note really pops out with design and color!
For me, I have a Netherlands 25 Gulden note from 1971 featuring Jan Pieterszoon Sweelinck, a composer who lived from 1562 - 1621. It's part of my musical themed collection now.
- Dave L
IBNS #9984
http://www.banknoteden.com
Pillar of the Community
United States
1026 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  5:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CitationSquirrel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting Dave. Thanks for posting.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
938 Posts
Learn More...
United States
87706 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2020  09:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have a Netherlands 25 Gulden note from 1971 featuring Jan Pieterszoon Sweelinck, a composer who lived from 1562 - 1621. It's part of my musical themed collection now.
Very nice!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
938 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2020  12:36 pm  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not the prettiest banknote from the Philippines (P-140 issued in 1949) but the price was right & it's one of their last English series. I'm happy it got here (Canada) after its 9 week voyage from Turkey (which I suppose wasn't so bad considering the COVID19 pandemic has pretty much slowed down global postal service to a crawl).

Edited by walk2dwater
05/27/2020 12:38 pm
Learn More...
United States
87706 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2020  1:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Not the prettiest banknote from the Philippines...
But still a nice looking specimen. Well done.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
747 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2020  10:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ScotsGreyhound to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like that Philippines 200 peso walk2dwater.
Picked up a couple of Replacement banknotes recently, here's one of the two, 10 Shillings (1967) sig. John Standish Fforde

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
624 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2020  10:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mtuma3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Walk2dwater - Nice!

ScotsGreyhoud - In the US the replacement notes have a star... What designates replacement on the Shilling Note?
Your note looks uncirculated - very nice.
Mark
ANA Member
Official Snowbird! Illinois in Summer, Somewhere warm in Winter
My7070
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
747 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2020  11:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ScotsGreyhound to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
mtuma3, on Bank of England 10 Shillings Replacement banknotes the most common serial prefix was M.
Early 10 Shilling notes used T_ _D or O1A O2A O3A up to 35A
Then M _ _
£1 notes used a wider variety of prefixes for Replacement banknotes too, the likes of S _ _ S, M _ _, M _ _ R, _ _ M, R _ _ M, T _ _ M, M S _ _, etc
The higher denomination notes also have various prefixes.
I believe the last £1 replacement prefix was M01 1970-78
A banknote collectors' book is needed, I got one from eBay & it's very handy for checking serial numbers, I only collect old 10 shilling or £1 notes.
Hope that kind of helps, it's a minefield
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
624 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2020  11:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mtuma3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks... Your old money system was confusing to this yank! New system much easier for me.
My wife and I travel to the UK about every other year. She has family just outside Edinburgh and more family in Epsom, outside London.
Her Grandmother worked for King George IV in the Royal Laundry... My Mom's side of the family came from Yorkshire, so I have a mix of Scot & English on that side.
Mark
ANA Member
My7070
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
747 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2020  11:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ScotsGreyhound to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
mtuma3, Edinburgh's nice, very busy with tourists usually, plenty to see, not just now of course, sadly.
I'm near Loch Lomond, in the West.
Another popular place for visitors.
On the banknote side, I enjoy searching the likes of eBay & then checking my book for the serial, I got a Replacement £1 a little while back for cheap, not sure the seller realised it was a Replacement, but my wee book did

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
670 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2020  12:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Anaximander to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ mtuma3 quote "Your old money system was confusing to this yank! New system much easier for me."

LOL

Pity those of us who had to learn imperial measurements, different systems for length, area, fluid volume, weight, ...
I'm sure there was some logic in it somewhere, but as a kid I never understood why a hundredweight was 112 pounds (lb).
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
624 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2020  12:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mtuma3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ScotsGreyhound... A couple years ago we stayed at the old ferri building hotel in Port Appin... Wonderful area...
Drove over the Mountains in the snow on (to me) the wrong side of the road! Lorries coming around the bends half in my lane at 70mph... white knuckle trip... LOL
Mark
ANA Member
My7070
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
747 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2020  1:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ScotsGreyhound to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
mtuma3, Port Appin, the West Highlands? Beautiful up there, like another world.
Did you experience the famous 'midgies'?
Our version of the mosquito.
Page: of 110 Previous TopicReplies: 1,646 / Views: 116,007Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.83 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05