Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Latest Banknotes Acquisition. List Them Here.

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 1,646 / Views: 116,011Next Topic
Page: of 110
Learn More...
United States
87706 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2020  1:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Picked up a couple of Replacement banknotes recently, here's one of the two, 10 Shillings (1967) sig. John Standish Fforde
Excellent!
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
747 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2020  2:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ScotsGreyhound to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks jbuck
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10499 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2020  01:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I recently purchased a bunch of world notes from the bay. Here are two 1988 Armenian notes that I thought were particularly nice (P41 & P42). Not only is the subject matter pretty cool on both of them, they also have some gnarly UV fluorescence when exposed to a UV flashlight (3rd photo). The 50 Dram depicts music, ballet, and an opera house. The 100 depicts the Byurakan observatory on Mt. Arakadz, its telescope, and a view of the solar system. Nice!

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
624 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2020  01:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mtuma3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pretty cool... Black Light photos are great... Thanks for sharing
Mark
ANA Member
Official Snowbird! Illinois in Summer, Somewhere warm in Winter
My7070
Learn More...
United States
87706 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2020  09:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I recently purchased a bunch of world notes from the bay.
Fantastic adds!
Valued Member
United States
459 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2020  6:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dave L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Recently acquired four nice Hansatsu. These are always a puzzle to decipher. Luckily I had some help from the sellers on these.

1 Monme Aichi Prefecture Chita Distric Kamino-mura Village

3 Monme Aichi Prefecture Chita Distric Kamino-mura Village

1 Silver Monme Issued in Hitachi Province, Mito Domain, by the Mito-Tokugawa Han

1 Silver Monme Issued in Yamato Province by Hatamoto Taga of the Soga Daifuku Ryomura, Direct Retainer to the Tokugawa Shogunate.
- Dave L
IBNS #9984
http://www.banknoteden.com
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
747 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2020  06:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ScotsGreyhound to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting notes Dave L, are they local currency? How old are they?
Really like the bottom 2
Learn More...
United States
87706 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2020  08:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Recently acquired four nice Hansatsu. These are always a puzzle to decipher. Luckily I had some help from the sellers on these.
Very nice!
Valued Member
United States
459 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2020  11:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dave L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Interesting notes Dave L, are they local currency? How old are they?
Really like the bottom 2

ScotsGreyhound - Yes, they are a type of local money that was used in feudal Japan before the adoption of a national currency. Called Hansatsu, they were issued by local Hans, or lords if you will, but they were also issued by others such as shops, tea houses, etc. In that regard they can be likened in some degree to wildcat or broken banknotes in the USA during the 1800's - but unlike them, the hansatsu are sometimes found in varying denominations of product, such as rice, tea, oil. Most of them I've run across however are issued in silver.

Those in my previous post were issued in the 1800's The top two do not have an actual date, but given teh place names I believe it to be in the 1870s. The other two were issued in 1836 and 1856. There is a lot of information do try and decipher, which is a puzzle when you don't read Japanese, are not too familiar with their ancient cultural terms, and the dating system is (mostly) based on lunar years AND the reigning year of the emperor AND are not always printed on the notes. It's a challenge, but I like to try to tease out the information as best I can.
- Dave L
IBNS #9984
http://www.banknoteden.com
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2495 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2020  12:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DavidUK to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was just wading through the last 5 pages given I haven't been very active... I love the Russian notes, I don't know much about the Russian stuffs but I have visited Russia a few times and can read and speak basic Russian now so it seems natural that I should get interested in this field.

The Mahon and Catterns notes can be tough, I have a half decent Mahon I picked up at a banknote fair and one I got in a group lot which was a bit ropey with a heavy centre crease

I like the French note, as with most French notes amazing design...

Super interesting Japanese notes, I wouldn't know where to start with them.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
747 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2020  12:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ScotsGreyhound to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for posting that great information Dave L.
Never knew anything about those currency notes or their background, always nice to see & read about something different.
Lovely items.
I reckon the closest thing to those that I have acquired would be some Chinese commodity coupons,from the 1970's, for rice, cloth, fuel etc.
Certainly nowhere near as nice, and historical as the Hansatsu.
Thanks again.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10499 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2020  01:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some Kyrgyzstan notes from my recent ebay haul. They happen to have cool UV properties as well. Check 'em out:

1997 5 & 10 Som:

And some UV eye candy:

2000 1 Som:

More UV eye candy:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
624 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2020  02:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mtuma3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
DaveL - those Japanese notes are outstanding!
Celtic - nice pick-ups!
Mark
ANA Member
Official Snowbird! Illinois in Summer, Somewhere warm in Winter
My7070
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
747 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2020  05:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ScotsGreyhound to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice notes CelticKnot
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
747 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2020  07:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ScotsGreyhound to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Finland 1 Markka (1963)

Bulgaria 1 Leva (1999)

Page: of 110 Previous TopicReplies: 1,646 / Views: 116,011Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05