Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Latest Banknotes Acquisition. List Them Here.

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 1,730 / Views: 119,482Next Topic
Page: of 116
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
815 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2020  06:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ScotsGreyhound to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
North Caucasus/Russia 100 Ruble (1918)

This banknote was issued by the Vladikavkaz Railroad Company, I was really drawn by the locomotive on the front and especially by the map on the back of the note.

Valued Member
Learn More...
Sweden
354 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2020  07:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting note. The train is hauled by a well depicted Class L (Pacific type) express passenger locomotive, one of the most powerful engines of its time, and one of few in Russia at the time.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
815 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2020  07:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ScotsGreyhound to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the extra information about the locomotive erafjel, much appreciated.
Learn More...
United States
88857 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2020  09:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Nice example. I Love the map!
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2519 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2020  09:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DavidUK to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thats an awesome note, love the map.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
815 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2020  09:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ScotsGreyhound to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks jbuck/DavidUK
I've picked up a few notes from Imperial Russia/Revolutionary time, over the years, as I just love some of the intricate design on them.
When I noticed this train & map one I had to bid on it, it's in pretty poor shape but I haven't seen it before, it's like a little work of art.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
21181 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2020  12:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Great note!
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2519 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2020  06:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DavidUK to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I bought a couple in auction and am not sure that it was the best place to buy them because of the large commisions but they had a number of notes that I was interested and I didn't get into any bidding wars dropping out early on most lots.

I did however win a couple of notes.

Having completed the set of standard English notes with each signature I am starting to throw a few misprints in since I am not sure what else to add.

I also added a white note, I am gradually trying to add each signature in these, when I started I just added a couple of examples and now I have enough that I have an eye on completing but with some of them being so expensive I know that it is unlikely I will ever have the full set...unlike the standard notes these stretch a long way back and some signatures are like hens teeth. I should be able to get the more recent ones.

I am very pleased with the condition, its like it just came of a press though there is one tiny brown dot on the lower right, listed as probably from a woodchip.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
988 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2020  08:44 am  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting 100 Railway Ruble "Scots." Can see the appeal with the map.

Quote:
I did however win a couple of notes.

-excellent & dramatic miss-print on the Page Fiver "DavidUK"

Quote:
I am very pleased with the condition,

-that's a lovely white-Fiver "DavidUK." If you haven't seen these in hand/person -it's hard to appreciate their massive size (like a dinner placemat) and the intricate watermarking throughout the paper. I've tinkered a little with my scan to see if I could highlight the intricacies seen in the "thin paper version."

Edited by walk2dwater
07/01/2020 12:44 pm
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
815 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2020  11:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ScotsGreyhound to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent banknotes DavidUK & walk2dwater

Folks must have had exceptionally large sized wallets & purses back in the day, to accommodate some of these 'horse blanket' notes which were prevalent in many countries' paper money. Lovely items
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2519 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2020  11:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DavidUK to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Typically they would be folded in half and half again but if you consider how much money they were worth at the time they were not commonly used.

Here's a few others...

There are a lot of "operation Bernhard" forgeries around from the time of the second world war. These I have been seeking to avoid but still are of value. The higher denominations are quite valueable too so sometimes condition needs to be sacrificed in order to obtain one... I have a Peppiatt ten which is a bit scraggy around the edges.
Learn More...
United States
88857 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
United States
21181 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2020  3:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just picked up some older Mexican notes.

Learn More...
United States
88857 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2020  3:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Just picked up some older Mexican notes.
Nice group!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
988 Posts
Page: of 116 Previous TopicReplies: 1,730 / Views: 119,482Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05