Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Latest Banknotes Acquisition. List Them Here.

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 2,313 / Views: 159,138Next Topic
Page: of 155
Pillar of the Community
United States
4364 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2021  08:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful notes 'walk2water"!

My package from Mass finally came in, but as I considered it lost, I already had gotten 2 of the notes I ordered, oh well no worries it's more for the collection. I did reach out to my current source with a list of what notes I want, so hopefully I'll be able to pick up a few soon.

What I like about the notes from Portugal is that I used some of these and they were beautiful with lots of color and history.
Edited by hfjacinto
05/30/2021 08:47 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
4364 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2021  5:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had a package out for shipping for 26 days. As you can see the package looks normal (although it has cool stamps).

Since it took so long and I wasn't expecting the package, I ended up ordering replacement notes so 2 of the 3 have been replaced.

The below was one note that I had not yet found so one at least is new.

Today's note is a 1961 series 100 escudos.

The observe has a portrait of Pedro Nunes (1502 - 1578) who was a Portuguese mathematician, cosmographer, and professor. Nunes was professor of mathematics at Lisbon and Coimbra and became royal cosmographer in 1529, when Spain was disputing the position of the Spice Islands and maps did not agree in their longitude. He devoted himself to such problems as well as to maps and map projections. He went to Spain in 1538 but returned to Portugal in 1544 to become a leading authority on the new discoveries of Spain and Portugal.

The reverse has a fountain in the Royal cloister of the Batalha monastery.

First Issued on November 2, 1954, last Issued on May 3, 1961, they were withdrawn from circulation on December 31, 1978. Although I was in Portugal at the time, I do not remember these.

For those interested this Batalha. (Please disregard the weird people below)

Below is the tomb of the unknown soldier.

The actual fountain in the image

Learn More...
United States
106270 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2021  12:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fantastic additions, both of you!

Quote:
For those interested this Batalha.
Lovely photos.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4364 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2021  4:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Today, I was going to post the notes that I got as duplicates, but I realized I never posted this note.

The stamped envelope.

Today's note is the 1000 escudos from the series 1968 to 1982. The note has an image of Dom Pedro V, who was the eldest son of Queen Maria II (1000 escudos from 1967) and King Ferdinand II. Pedro was the king from 1853 to 1861.

Peter was a conscientious and hard-working monarch who, under the guidance of his father, sought radical modernization of the Portuguese state and infrastructure. Under his reign, roads, telegraphs, and railways were constructed and improvements in public health advanced. His popularity increased when, during the cholera outbreak of 1853-1856, he visited hospitals handing out gifts and comforting the sick.

Pedro V, along with his brothers Fernando and João and other royal family members, succumbed to typhoid fever or cholera in 1861.

The reverse of the note has the ceremonial opening of the first Portuguese railway. I purchased this one as it from the first series (1968)

Learn More...
United States
106270 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
4364 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2021  5:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hope I'm not boring anyone with the details on the notes.
Learn More...
United States
106270 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2021  5:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Never!

Expanded information is always appreciated.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11361 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2021  11:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Not at all! Any additional information or supplemental visuals (e.g., your vacation photos) are welcome additions and add to the cool factor of the notes. I really want to add some of those Portuguese notes you have posted to my collection now that you have given some background, history, and relevant photojournaling of them.

Keep 'em coming!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11361 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2021  01:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ukraine 1M and 2M Karbantsiv...somethings.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4364 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2021  09:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These are 2 notes that I ended getting as duplicates as they took so long. The 1000 Escudos is from a later series, you can even see the differences between them. Sadly no real write up as I covered both of them, the 1000 escudos pricing is all over the place. I think there are rarer versions, but I don't know. Can any one recommend a guide to foreign currency?

I did end up ordering an older note from Portugal, which I'll post when it comes in.

Here are the duplicates, this is the 1980 series of 1000 escudos. The main differences are:
To the right of the portrait the field is lighter with less detail
The serial number font is plain/smaller
In 1968 they had a Vice Governor, in 1980 they had a Governor

The 2nd duplicate is a 500 escudos (same series date)

Edited by hfjacinto
06/02/2021 10:00 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
4364 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2021  09:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@celtic know, how do you know its Ukraine?
Learn More...
United States
106270 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2021  10:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Ukraine 1M and 2M Karbantsiv...somethings.
Very interesting. A lot of text on those.

Quote:
These are 2 notes that I ended getting as duplicates as they took so long.
Nice pair!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11361 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2021  10:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
@celtic, how do you know its Ukraine?

@hfjacinto, they were advertised as such on the auction and I cross-referenced with Krause.

By the way, these notes are HUGE.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1486 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2021  4:07 pm  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here are the duplicates, this is the 1980 series of 1000 escudos. The main differences are:
To the right of the portrait the field is lighter with less detail
The serial number font is plain/smaller
In 1968 they had a Vice Governor, in 1980 they had a Governor

While the denominations are the same, I wouldn't call these two 1000 Escudos notes 'duplicates.' The series starts with a Governor, then changes to Vice Governor & evolves over time.

The first note looks to be P-175a(6) which is the first time Emílio Rui da Veiga Peixoto Vilar's signature is introduced as Vice Governor. The 'Administrator' is Walter Waldemar Pego Marques & P-175a has 13 different signature versions. It would be interesting to know how common (or tough) P-175a(6) is.

The 1980 note is P-175b(2). There were 8 versions (signature combos) for the 1980 note & as you noted, they revert to "Governor.' There are also 3 more versions of P-175. See: http://www.banknote.ws/COLLECTION/c.../POR0175.htm
If you go by Numista https://en.numista.com/catalogue/note202260.html, it appears that the P-175d (SEPT 1982) was the least common variety (a little under 10M issued for that particular version).

The bank not museum (or Numista) will also have stats/data on your two 500 Escudo nots (which are also likely different versions of that series).
Edited by walk2dwater
06/03/2021 4:10 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4364 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2021  4:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@walk2water,

Thank you for that.

You are correct, nether are "duplicates"

The 500 Escudos is

170b(4)
signatures: José da Silva Lopes & Walter Waldemar Pego Marques

And

170b(6)
signatures: José da Silva Lopes & Abel António Pinto dos Reis

Neither are rare, with these 2 being the most common.
Page: of 155 Replies: 2,313 / Views: 159,138Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: