Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Latest Banknotes Acquisition. List Them Here.

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2,266 / Views: 153,139Next Topic
Page: of 152
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1397 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2021  4:30 pm  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
-thanks guys! & now for a more low key/inexpensive pick up:
P-118c, a 5 Pesos from the beautiful island of Dominican Republic:

The island is gorgeous but the note...well...nice, with the flowers on the back, but I do not find dams (nor the hydro tower/power lines) all that attractive.

The simplicity of the Falkland 50 Pence & 5 Pound reverse designs is incomparable to most currency (IMO).
Edited by walk2dwater
07/15/2021 4:33 pm
Learn More...
United States
103630 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
3992 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2021  5:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Walk2Water, I agree those Falkland notes are WOW.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1397 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2021  1:53 pm  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
@Walk2Water, I agree those Falkland notes are WOW.

Thanks a lot 'hfjacinto.' Sometimes I like to share some of my personal collection (such as those).

Here's more low hanging fruit, P-193b (1963) from Paraguay:

Learn More...
United States
103630 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2021  2:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here's more low hanging fruit, P-193b (1963) from Paraguay:
Very nice!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1388 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2021  7:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add owatchman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
New set from Ethiopia

Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2945 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2021  07:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice notes everyone. Some more Fiji for you all.

Series B 1980s and 1990s

$5 - Tribal Fishing scene with nets and spears

$10 - Indigenous War Dance outside a Fijian house (Bure)

$20 - Fijian Ceremonial God house next to a mangrove scene.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Learn More...
United States
103630 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1397 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2021  2:56 pm  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the designs are really different for both the Ehtiopian & Fijian notes. Your posts makes me want to get more.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2945 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2021  9:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Series C Fijian Notes added to my collection

2 types of $2 note

Showing the myth of racial harmony in Fiji - 5 races (Indian, Melanesian, Polynesian, Chinese and White).

Special Millenium note showing then President and more of that Racial Harmony theme with map of the Date line passing through Vanua Levu.

Two types of $5 note

Early type with orange brown colour

Later type with brown colour - done as the new $50 note had a reddish orange colour that could be confused with it.

Reverses of both notes showing the Colour differences. Nadi airport is shown, the main tourist gateway into FIJI!
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
Edited by Princetane
07/22/2021 10:01 pm
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2945 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2021  10:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The two higher values (I don't have the $50 the highest value)

$10 note showing a raft and lagoon scene

$20 note showing Parliament House and the Reserve Bank of Fiji building.

For those of you wanting more detailed information on these notes - see this thread. Pages 9 to 11.

http://goccf.com/t/402203
Learn More...
United States
103630 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1397 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2021  12:47 pm  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
For those of you wanting more detailed information on these notes - see this thread. Pages 9 to 11.

Very interesting thread on the currency from Fiji "Princetane." I read all 11 pages!

Thanks for sharing the link as I had no idea you did all that research, summaries of your findings for that country. I took the links to the minimum wage site & could easily visualize how the currency probably become a class thing early on. I felt your treatment of the progressive note design/motifs, with greater emphasis on indigenous values, fascinating. You've really motivated me to address some serious gaps in my Fiji collection (especially Series A). Sadly, I let this nation fly under my radar when I started collecting world 3 years ago but I'm enjoying trying to catch up (though my pocket book has been paying the piper!)

Just wondering about a comment you made on the Y prefix. Could you elaborate which denomination & if you know how scarce these notes are?

Thanks in advance.
BTW, here's the 1996 $50 with the J prefix I posted a while back:

I usually buy between $1 to $20 as a rule of thumb but occasionally I will pick up the odd higher denomination. This one really caught my eye.
Edited by walk2dwater
07/23/2021 12:52 pm
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2945 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2021  02:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Love the $50, its a Series C, later one with varied serial number height (The serial number is same height on 1996 ones), your note is 2002 and has the Narube signature.

The Y prefix referred to the $2 note of the Millenium series called Y2K and the Y meant Year. It was a one off for those notes.

Y I think was also used as a replacement, star note prefix too, but I am not sure as I am fresh to Fijian notes.

Meanwhile feast your eyes on these beauties from Fiji's neighbour - Tonga

2008 - $2 and $5 notes showing Rugby games (Although Tonga got walloped 106 to nil by the All Blacks lately) and $5 shows a flat stone platform from early days.

The $10 shows the Royal Cemetery in which all kings are buried along with Royal Princes and Queens of Tonga. The currency is called a "pa 'anga" but is written as a $ and known as the Tongan Dollar in English.

These 3 notes show Siaosi Tupou V who died in 2013, however modern notes show the same designs, but the current king Tupou VI.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2945 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2021  04:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have also bought the 4 lowest values of the 1995 series showing King Taufa'ahau TupouIV who died in 2006. These are very beautiful and elaborate notes.

Ironically printed by Thomas De La Rue and Sons, like Fiji - but unlike Fiji, the English language only features briefly on the Reverse. Almost everyone in Tonga speaks Tongan as a first language and only some speak English as well.

The 1 and 2 pa'anga notes show the elaborate Obverses and the backs show a village scene on one of the more mountainous islands (Vavau, Kao, Eua?). The 2 pa'anga shows women making Tapa (Bark cloth) and painting it outside a traditional Tongan structure.

The 5 and 10 Pa'anga also feature the rich Reverse with purple and blue colours. the backs show the Haa'monga trilition, a menhiric arch on Tongatapu from at least 800 years ago and the 10 shows the Royal Palace of the Tupou Dynasty, this building dates from the 1880s and is still used today.

If I can dig in my pockets further, I can buy the 20 and 50 Pa'anga of each series too!
Page: of 152 Previous TopicReplies: 2,266 / Views: 153,139Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05