Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Latest Banknotes Acquisition. List Them Here.

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2,292 / Views: 154,376Next Topic
Page: of 153
Learn More...
United States
104028 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11279 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  12:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I wonder why rocks? What do those mean?

@Oldfordman, you'll find the stack of three rocks (called "the Balancing Rocks") on nearly every Zimbabwe note ever issued. It is the emblem of the Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe.

Per Wikipedia:

Quote:
The Balancing Rocks are geomorphological features of igneous rocks found in many parts of Zimbabwe, and are particularly noteworthy in Matopos National Park, and near the township of Epworth, to the southeast of Harare. The Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe featured the Chiremba Balancing Rocks on the outskirts of Epworth on Zimbabwean banknotes.

FYI Harare is the capital of Zimbabwe.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11279 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2021  6:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a colorful polymer note from Uruguay. A new note from 2020 and as such, has no Pick #.

Learn More...
United States
104028 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2021  09:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here's a colorful polymer note from Uruguay. A new note from 2020 and as such, has no Pick #.
Beautiful!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1412 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2021  11:54 am  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Two "Commonwealth of Australia" Ones: the first is from P-37a with the Coombs-Wilson signature:

and the 2nd is P-37c with the Phillips-Randall signature:

(Like the cave art on the back of these)
Learn More...
United States
104028 Posts
United States
40 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2021  6:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add currencyden to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bahrain P16. Pick doesn't attribute this unauthorized printing, but mentions it. The Bank Note Book attributes it as B211b.
A confidence trick began in late 1997 when several men successfully portrayed themselves as representatives of the Bank of Bahrain to the South African representative of Ciccone Calcografica, an Argentinian security printer based in Buenos Aires. On 2 December 1997 they met senior officials of Ciccone Calcografica in Buenos Aires and presented a forged order for 20-dinar notes from the Bahrain Monetary Agency. A contract for Ciccone Calcografica to supply 20-dinar notes was subsequently signed on 13 January 1998. Bahrain was forced to withdraw all 20 Dinar notes and issue a new design 20 Dinar note.
I bought a few of these when they became available.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
11279 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2021  8:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A crazy story and a very cool note!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4063 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2021  9:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great story @currencydan! Also Beautiful "counterfeit" note. The same happened with Portugal and 500 escudos in the 1920's.

@walkrowater, I really like that AU note !
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1412 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2021  08:05 am  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
@walkrowater, I really like that AU note !

-Thanks "Hfjacinto" & thanks for the tip re: Allen's Coin Shop (where I bought them). Now I really want to get my hands on P-37b which is pricey ( TPG G-UNC about $750+) as "Coombs-Randall" was a very short lived signature:
http://www.banknote.ws/COLLECTION/c.../AUS0037.htm but I've been outbid the few times I've seen it up for auction.

From the same order, came this interesting $1 with a serial number that is only one number away from a separate purchase I made months ago:

Learn More...
United States
104028 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11279 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2021  10:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@walk2dwater, what year is that NZ note from? The queen is looking very young!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1412 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2021  5:25 pm  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
@walk2dwater, what year is that NZ note from? The queen is looking very young!

-Great question "CelticKnot" (& thanks for asking)

Let's check the next note (which happens to be graded):

-So PMG states between 1975-1977. The series started in 1967 (so that explains the queen's youthful look) but P-193c happens to be the 2nd last of the series (which ended in 1981 with the Knight signature.

This is the first time I have bought two consecutive notes from two separate sellers.

I clearly need to stop buying so many notes & will take a much needed break!
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2968 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2021  05:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Actually the way to date those notes is quite easy.

The high Tiara Queen notes are De La Rues from 1967 to 1980. They can be dated by

Fleming 1967 - 1968
Wilks 1968 - 1975
Knight 1975 - 1977
Hardie 1977 - 1981.

The low Tiara smiling queen types are Bradbury Wilkinsons printed in Whangarei 1980 - 1990. Be careful as Hardie signatures are on BOTH types

Hardie 1981 - 1985
Russell (Looks like P T Renee) 1985 - 1989
Brash (Looks like Donald Trump in some ways 1989 -1991

These are later type 2's - Russells and Brash's - notice the different looking Queen.

Earlier notes, rougher colours and high Tiara's - these are Wilks, a bit earlier.

Sadly you can not date notes further than signatures - the year prefix only arrived on our notes in 1999.

Hope this helps.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Learn More...
United States
104028 Posts
Page: of 153 Previous TopicReplies: 2,292 / Views: 154,376Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05