Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Latest Banknotes Acquisition. List Them Here.

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2,294 / Views: 155,568Next Topic
Page: of 153
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
9292 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2021  04:12 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fascinating additions!

curencyden - the story of the Bahrain 20-dinar notes reminds me of the very similar case in Portugal in 1925 when Alves dos Reis and his associates posed as Banco do Porugal officials and ordered 200,000 500-Escudo notes from Waterlow & Sons:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alves_dos_Reis

I've just been sent this South African 20-rand note by a good friend in South Africa - it completes my set of Nelson Mandela centenary notes:

Learn More...
United States
104611 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2021  11:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I've just been sent this South African 20-rand note by a good friend in South Africa - it completes my set of Nelson Mandela centenary notes:
Excellent!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11307 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2021  11:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice additions, everyone.

Here we have a Thailand commemorative issue: 2016 70 Baht (P128). It commemorates the 70th anniversary of the ascention of King Rama IX.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1423 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
581 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2021  09:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter4 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That note does look really big!
Elliot Mitchell
Experienced coin roll hunter with 5+ years in the hobby
My Registry Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/334324/
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/408555
ANA # 3204217
CONECA # Y-6505
Pillar of the Community
United States
4167 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2021  09:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful! I mean BEAUTIFUL notes!!!
Learn More...
United States
104611 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2021  12:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here we have a Thailand commemorative issue: 2016 70 Baht (P128). It commemorates the 70th anniversary of the ascention of King Rama IX.
Very nice!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11307 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2021  1:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Nice. That looks massive. What is the note's dimensions "CelticKnott"?

Quote:
That note does look really big!

It is indeed quite large. Dimensions are roughly 6.25" x 3.5" (Krause says 162x89 mm).
Pillar of the Community
United States
4167 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2021  11:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As Celtic Knot posted a really large note, I felt the need to submit a small one

Today's note is a 1917 Fractional Note issues by Casa da Moeda which means "House of Coin".

Today's note is PICK 95B which has a CASA DA MOEDA watermark. They were issued on August 15, 1917. Portugal issued fractional notes in times of shortage of Precious Metals and economic upheaval. In 1910 the former monarchy was overthrown by the violent death of the King and the first in line to the kingdom. The queen fearful for the death of the younger son abdicated and a new government was installed "Primeira República Portuguesa" or the First Republic.

Like the first few years of most new governments, there were growing pains. The old currency was demonetized (the real) and a new one was established (the Escudo) at a rate of 1000 Reis to a Escudo. The escudo is made up of 100 centavos which was generally issued in PM.

But due to WWI and a lack of PM, coins were being produced in Copper/bronze and other secondary metals which were also in short supply.

The populace with no change started using the old Reals. The government fearful of an angry populace released 4 issues of fractional currency. And for a time it alleviated the shortage until a certain counterfeiter both caused an economic revival and through his actions the end of the First Republic and a 41 year dictatorship. You can read more about that here:

https://www.pmgnotes.com/news/artic...sis-of-1925/

But more important you have this CU note for today.

Learn More...
United States
104611 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1423 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2021  4:06 pm  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lovely looking design on that fractional 'hfjacinto.' Also enjoyed reading the PMG article "Stranger than Fiction: The Portuguese Banknote Crisis of 1925" I've seen the story before somewhere (just cannot remember where) & I always imagine how it would make a great screenplay. Thanks for sharing.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4167 Posts
 Posted 08/29/2021  9:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I speak to a few collectors from here. One of the collectors we tend to have long detailed emails. Recently I was asked why I collect what I collect and the answer that comes out is usually:

"Because I like the way it looks"

And the fellow collector pushed back stating that not's really the way I collect and I was pushing back stating I do collect because of the way I like. But the fellow collector is actually correct. I don't actually collect just because I like the way a note/coin looks but I collect as its part of a broader goal.

My broader goal for my collection in World currency only centers around Portugal and its colonies. And while I may pick up a note because of the way it looks, its not the end all as I don't even consider other countries. For example I love the Ina and the Shark series or the Zimbabwe 100 trillion dollar note, but again its not part of my goals, so I don't look for them.

What this post is trying to say is that while we all like pretty things what is our eventual goal, is it to collect pretty things because they are pretty or because they are steps on a long term goal?

Now onto the note. My goal for currency of Portugal is to have a type set. If I can get one of each note type (I doubt it as a few are more costly than USA large notes), I will but my goal is to collect a pleasing note that fills in one of the 3 times periods of Portugal currency. This includes

1) Currency from Imperial Treasury
2) Fractional Notes from the Casa Da Moeda
3) Escudo and Reis from the Banco do Portugal

If I can find well priced examples from Private Banks, Azores or Madeira I would also consider those but they are rare.

I also got beat up on that I'm not a serious collector, he stated I am one of the more serious collectors as I know the history of what I collect. I guess this pretending to buy items that are pretty façade may be up

Now onto tonight's note, It is April 11, 1925 we are now at the start of the collapse of the economy of Portugal due to all the counterfeit P-130 500 escudos. The government is on the verge of collapse and the populace still doesn't have any coins as all PM is in low supply. The government is still issuing currency. All of these issues resulted in a coup D'etat on May 28, 1926. The Military government begged an Economist from the University of Coimbra to come in and take charge of the economy. Within 1 year Salazar took over the finances of Portugal and stabilized the budget and the economy. Eventually becoming Prime Minister and a dictator from 1933 to 1964.

All of this leads us to today's note which is Pick 101 and was the last of the Fractional notes issues by Portugal

The reverse of the note includes the Arco Da Rua Augusta (Arch of August Street). Which I have been to.

Edited by hfjacinto
08/29/2021 10:01 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1489 Posts
 Posted 08/30/2021  01:35 am  Show Profile   Check twohawks's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add twohawks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a Note I just picked up yesterday. A little uncommon in grade.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1489 Posts
 Posted 08/30/2021  08:21 am  Show Profile   Check twohawks's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add twohawks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the other note that I added the day before as well. 1991-93 50 pound note in 68 and a serial number of # E01 000438

Pillar of the Community
United States
4167 Posts
 Posted 08/30/2021  08:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful notes @twohawks
Page: of 153 Previous TopicReplies: 2,294 / Views: 155,568Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.57 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05