Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Latest Banknotes Acquisition. List Them Here.

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2,526 / Views: 174,471Next Topic
Page: of 169
Learn More...
United States
112066 Posts
Canada
38 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2022  5:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Diverdude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's the infamous Canadian $2 Bill, 1954 Modified Portrait. Keep an eye out for the 'Devil's Hair' versions. This bill was unpopular in the Canadian Prairies for a few reasons. One, back in the day, prostitutes cost 2 bucks. Married men didn't want to be caught with $2 bills or they would be guilty by inference. Women didn't like them because of the connitation. But a big reason they were unpopular was because the cash registers were American made and didn't have a slot for the extra $2 bills. Here's an old article fm 1967 detailing just how unpopular they were in the Prairies.
https://archive.macleans.ca/article...-funny-money

Learn More...
United States
112066 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1652 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2022  6:26 pm  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This bill was unpopular in the Canadian Prairies for a few reasons.

That's the 1st time I have heard of this! Interesting article! Thanks for sharing.
Valued Member
Netherlands
120 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2022  05:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lighthouse250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This bill was unpopular in the Canadian Prairies for a few reasons.

For a brief moment I thought this was going the way of "The Curse of the Deuce":

Quote:
In the late 1800's some of the things you could do with a $2 note were: Buy a vote, Buy "services" at a brothel, or place a bet. Respectable persons feared others would think they had "earned" the "Duece" by selling their vote, their body, or as a habitual bettor. To combat the "Curse of the Deuce," many people tore corners off the note. Pregnant women who received a note with all four corners torn off believed they would have twins. Cashiers imagined themselves immune from the "Curse" if they kissed the note upon receipt In the old days, it was believed that saliva contained magical powers that would contain a curse long enough to pass the offending article to another who would have to find their own way of defending themselves.

From http://www.panix.com/~clay/currency/glossary.html

Or maybe it is indeed the same thing
Edited by Lighthouse250
05/10/2022 05:30 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
811 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2022  11:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add otto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Philippines - Japanese Invasion Emergency Notes - Looks like 1943-44

Edited by otto
05/10/2022 11:25 am
Learn More...
United States
112066 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2022  11:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Philippines - Japanese Invasion Emergency Notes - Looks like 1943-44
Very nice!
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2589 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2022  1:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DavidUK to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

After my recent auction splurge this is whats left over after cherry picking all the best bits for my collection.
Its been fun going through it all and assessing whats there.

This was part of a single collection which was described as mixed grades. As it turns out a few of the more desirable notes were uncirculated and so I switched out some of my own with them. Also there were a few varieties I didn't have (early Peppiatt white note, a couple of types with different printing techniques, some treasury notes with different types of serial number)

I also added a couple of other cool notes, a Bernard forgery, a dry ink error and more treasury notes. I need to photograph these and will show them here in the near future. For now I am listing these ones on ebay...hopefully they will subsidise my additions. I haven't really sold before and so now I am trying to strike the balance between pricing them to sell and getting as much back as I can. So this endeavour will probably be a learning experience too...
Learn More...
United States
112066 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1652 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2022  6:56 pm  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I haven't really sold before and so now I am trying to strike the balance between pricing them to sell and getting as much back as I can.

Good luck with your listings!
Valued Member
United Kingdom
150 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2022  3:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Orac to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I bought this at the first show I have been to in 2 years!
Great to be back to numismatic shows :)

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2589 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2022  04:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DavidUK to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice note, where was this show? Was it busy there?
Bedrock of the Community
United Kingdom
10309 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2022  05:48 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great notes, DavidUK and Orac!

Here's a souvenir from my recent visit to Stockholm:

Pillar of the Community
Germany
737 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2022  1:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add redlock to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice note
Looks as if it is unc or aunc.
Also, very low serial number. (B is the year of printing, 29 the position on the sheet, then comes the actual ''serial number'').
Congrats.
Edited by redlock
05/14/2022 1:09 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United Kingdom
10309 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2022  2:13 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
very low serial number. (B is the year of printing, 29 the position on the sheet, then comes the actual ''serial number'').

Thanks - I never knew that!
Page: of 169 Previous TopicReplies: 2,526 / Views: 174,471Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: