Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Latest Banknotes Acquisition. List Them Here.

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2,583 / Views: 185,435Next Topic
Page: of 173
Valued Member
Netherlands
138 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2022  05:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lighthouse250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Love the detailed map - I wonder how things are different today?

I think that depends on who you're asking
Learn More...
United States
114610 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2022  09:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I felt really happy to catch this 1986 rotator $1.00 from Bahamas (P-43a).
Fantastic!
Valued Member
Netherlands
138 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2022  5:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lighthouse250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Few weeks ago I was able to visit the Bank of Finland Museum in the capital, Helsinki. There I stumbled upon two credit card sized cards with a ripple pattern, and this was cleverly used to illustrate some of the security features of the latest generation Euro notes. In the clip you can hear me saying (in Dutch):

Elevated print....

Portrait and watermark....

Emerald green numerals.

Interestingly, the annotations are in Swedish. While Sweden itself does not have the Euro, Swedish is also the second official language of Finland. These cards were free for pick-up in the souvenir shop of the museum. Admission is free by the way. Maybe a nice one to fold up a spare hour when you're around. 

Short clip:
oUqEMUjAAv0
Learn More...
United States
114610 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
5232 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2022  10:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I recently picked up 3 new notes. Today you get the first. This note is a 50 Escudos from the former Portuguese Colony of Guinea Bissau. The front features Nuno Tristão who was a 15th-century Portuguese explorer and slave trader, active in the early 1440s, traditionally thought to be the first European to reach the region of Guinea (legendarily, as far as Guinea-Bissau, but more recent historians believe he did not go beyond the Gambia River).

The back of the note features the Caravels of Portugal.

This note is PICK 44 and has the signature of Samuel Rodrigues Sanches.

This note was printed by Banco Nacional Ultramarino, which had the rights to print notes for the colonies. While this is a common note as many were printed and never released due to the end of colonial rule, it really is a pretty note.

Edited by hfjacinto
07/08/2022 10:22 am
Learn More...
United States
114610 Posts
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
4074 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2022  02:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I won some very nice British notes in the weekend at a stamp auction.

Somerset (early 1980s) consecutive pair.

Gill (Last signature of this series 1988 - 1990) pair of £5 notes. All of these notes are UNC

The fivers also have consecutive serial numbers

I love COINS!!!
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
4074 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2022  02:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The highlights of the group were the £10 and £20 notes, they are stunners! These notes are Series D and they were designed in the 1970s, although these are late 80s.

The note shows Florence Nightingale and is a big note

This note is even more magnificient and shows William Shakespeare.

The Gill signature was the latest and last for these notes (1988 - 1991) and its likely the original collector put them aside around 1992 as souvenirs when the next series came out.

Not rare in any sense, but scarce as these are perfectly flat and crisp uncirculated notes. Most I expect would have some wear on them! I have noticed the slight finger fold shows on the top of the notes, although this would hardly effect a grade much, the main point is the notes do not have a centre or any other fold and the paper is crisp and sharp.

Possibly his (And mine!!!) budget did not extend to adding the £50 which features Sir Christopher Wren.

I love COINS!!!
Edited by Princetane
07/11/2022 02:36 am
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
4074 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2022  02:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The next series (E) was released in the early 1990s and again featured famous Britons from the past. The 3 lower notes I have, have a real early 19th century bias.

As we know, the English are known for drip feeding their notes one by one and here the £5 emerged in 1990 with the £10 emerging in 1992, by this stage, Gill was gone and Kentfield was the new governor (Apparently an old series D £10 also has his signature).

These notes are not as nice, but these have some desirability as there must have been complaints as the £5 on the top left corner of the obverse was darkened and on both notes, the crown at top right was changed to a denomination too, meaning these notes had about 1 year's issue each before being replaced by the modified one which lasted through to the mid 2000s.

The last note in this group was the £20 and it featured Gill's signature as well being released in 1991 (This series was the first to have dates on the notes!). It shows Michael Faraday and the other two show George Stephenson and Charles Dickens.

The £50 of the series I think emerged after these 3 (1993 or 1994) and that note again showed Newton or Wren, I don't have it.

The group stretched my budget and had the £50 been included, I probably would not have brought them, but will likely buy them later when I marry a Rockefeller!

I love COINS!!!
Learn More...
United States
114610 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2022  10:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I won some very nice British notes in the weekend at a stamp auction.
Outstanding selection!
Pillar of the Community
Germany
776 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2022  12:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add redlock to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great additions to your collection Princetane.
Congrats!
Pillar of the Community
United States
5232 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2022  4:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful notes Princetane!

Today we get the 100 escudos from Guinea Bissau. There was also a 500 and 1000 escudos, but that printing was very small, so the few notes available are expensive. I like the colors on the 100 Escudos more than the 50 Escudos. Same basic design as the 50 Escudos.

Learn More...
United States
114610 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2022  4:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Today we get the 100 escudos from Guinea Bissau.
Very nice!
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2601 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2022  05:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DavidUK to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The £20 shakespeare is probably in my top three British notes, nice selection of notes you have there. If you are aiming to get every denomination in every signature I wish you good luck.

As for me, I added this slightly rough but extremely rare Dardanelles overprint. I have the 10 shillings verion already, in similar condition so its nice to have the pair. I think this is my most expensive one so far but I have cone to the stage where any English note I am missing is a real problem note to buy.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
1094 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2022  05:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@DavidUK, that is one fascinating overprint and a testimony of a historical event that inspires the imagination. One pound was a considerable sum at the time, I wonder what it would buy you back there and then.

Thanks for sharing!
Page: of 173 Previous TopicReplies: 2,583 / Views: 185,435Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: