Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Many Countries Coins Has Queen Elizabeth II Been On?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 50 / Views: 36,326Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar of the Community
United States
648 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2010  01:22 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add schmidty to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Being a Yankee, I need some help here.

I'm hoping someone has a list, or can point me towards one, of every country's coinage that Queen Elizabeth II has been on. Is a list of all Commonwealth countries during her reign good enough...I mean did all of them produce coins?

I assume all Commonwealth countries have (or had) her portrait on their coinage, or is this not always the case? Has there been non-Commonwealth countries who had her on their coins? (Circulating coins, I'm not interested in commemoratives)

Thanks for the help!

P.S. If this has been covered here before, a link to the previous post would be great. I did search, but didn't find anything.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3482 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2010  02:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Archraz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
schmidty- hmm interesting question. Honestly the only way to do this might be to browse through a Krause for a while. But here is a list of those which come to mind:

Great Britain
Australia
New Zealand
Jersey
Canada
Isle of Man
Bahamas
Cayman Islands
Hong Kong
Malaya & British North Borneo
British East Caribbean States
British Virgin Islands
British Honduras

That's all that I can think of at the moment without grabbing my Krause books. I hope that this helped!

Pillar of the Community
Philippines
1156 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2010  02:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nic to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
yes, please add in

Mauritius
Bermuda
Fiji

and, but not sure, check Seychelles?
has king george but I dont recall any Queen E-II
Pillar of the Community
Australia
585 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2010  03:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add turtleoverhead to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cook Island
Pillar of the Community
Philippines
1156 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2010  03:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nic to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
another one... St. Helena
Pillar of the Community
United States
819 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2010  05:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ElleKitty to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have some Seychelles with QEII on them, the young portrait much like the one from Hong Kong and Malaya and British Borneo.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1116 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2010  06:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scott3270 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i hope I don't confuse things but being I don't know the answer to your question off hand you might be able to use this as a guide I am assuming if she has appeared on a banknote she might of appeared on a coin as well so here is a list of some of the countries that she has been on banknotes.

Australia

Bahamas

Belize

Bermuda

British
Caribbean
Territories

British
Honduras

Canada

Cayman Islands

Ceylon

Cyprus

East Africa

East Caribbean States

Falkland Islands

Fiji

Gibraltar

Great Britain

Guernsey

HongKong

Isle of Man

Jamaica

Jersey

Malaya and North Borneo

Malta

Mauritius

New Zealand

Rhodesia and Nyasaland

Rhodesia

Saint Helena

Scotland

Seychelles

Solomon Islands

Southern Rhodesia

Trinidad and Tobago

Zambia (essay only)
Edited by scott3270
01/27/2010 06:54 am
Learn More...
Australia
14674 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2010  08:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is a list of all Commonwealth countries during her reign good enough...I mean did all of them produce coins?

No, not all of them produced circulating coins; the smaller ones in the Caribbean particularly use a common currency, the "East Caribbean States dollar". And some of the countries where she is still queen (such as Papua New Guinea and Barbados) don't put her on their coinage. Nevertheless, a List of Commonwealth and former Commonwealth countries is a good place to start; there won't be any countries not on the list that have the Queen routinely on their coinage.

However, I do notice that the list of countries doesn't actually include dependencies; add to this list the dependent states of New Zealand and Great Britain that are listed on this page - none of the Australian dependent states have issued coins with the Queen on them.

Here, then, is a list, as complete as I can recall, edited by colour.

Index:
Black = most or all coins have Queen's portrait
Blue = circulation coins used to have Queen's portrait but no longer do so today
Green = only commemoratives have featured the Queen's Portrait
Red = no coins have been struck with Queen Elizabeth's portrait
Orange = no coins issued at all

Present Commonwealth Membership

Australia
Bahamas
Bangladesh
Barbados
Belize (formerly known as British Honduras)
Botswana
Brunei
Cameroon
Canada
Cyprus
Dominica
East Caribbean States (monetary union)
Gambia
Ghana
Great Britain
Grenada
Guyana
India
Jamaica
Kenya
Kiribati
Lesotho
Malawi
Malaysia
Maldives
Malta
Mauritius
Mozambique
Namibia
Nauru
New Zealand
Nigeria
Pakistan
Papua New Guinea
Rwanda
Saint Kitts & Nevis
Saint Lucia
Saint Vincent & Grenadines
Samoa
Seychelles
Sierra Leone
Singapore
Solomon Islands
South Africa
Sri Lanka
Swaziland
Tanzania
Tonga
Trinidad & Tobago
Tuvalu
Uganda
United Arab Emirates
Vanuatu
Zambia

Former Colonies, Expelled From Commonwealth, etc

British East Caribbean Territories (now Guyana and East Caribbean States)
British West Africa (now Nigeria, Ghana and several other places)
East Africa (Now Kenya and Tanzania)
Fiji (anomaly - a Republic and Expelled from the Commonwealth but still has the Queen on all it's coinage)
Hong Kong (Now Chinese)
Malaya & British Borneo (now Malaysia and Singapore)
Rhodesia (also Southern Rhodesia and Rhodesia & Nyasaland)(now Zimbabwe)
Zimbabwe

Dependant States (of NZ or GB)

Anguilla
Bermuda
British Indian Ocean Territory
British Virgin Islands
Cayman Islands
Cook Islands
Falkland Islands
Gibraltar
Guernsey
Jersey
Isle of Man
Montserrat
Niue
Pitcairn Islands
Tokelau
Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha
South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands
Turks and Caicos Islands

For your purposes, ignore the red, orange and green ones; whether you include the blue ones or not is entirely up to you.

Note, some NCLT commemorative coinage with her portrait has been struck in the name of other places (eg. Alderney, Gough Island, British Antarctic Territory) but since these are either non-autonomous parts of other countries or barren, uninhabited rocks, I didn't bother including them in the list.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
United States
7787 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2010  08:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Old gal gets around...no offense! Would it be safe to say that Queen Elizabeth is probably one of the most recognized people in the world?
Valued Member
Australia
432 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2010  08:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zaggy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sap, yet again I am amazed... You're a walking Numismatic Encyclopaedia, aren't you! :)

If only you could find me images of the following:
- Hamburg Mint (1923-1943 and/or 1947-1980)

And it would also be nice if we could find some images of:
- Stuttgart Mint (1923-1960)
- Muldenhütten Mint (1923-1953)
Learn More...
Australia
14674 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2010  09:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Would it be safe to say that Queen Elizabeth is probably one of the most recognized people in the world?

Yes; she would have to rank up near the US President (current or former), the Pope (current or former) and some of the big-name movie stars.

Anyway, it appears that the answer to the question posed by schmidty in the title to this thread, if one doesn't include NCLT but does include former Queen-users, is "35".
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
United States
648 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2010  10:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add schmidty to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sap...you are amazing!

Thanks to everyone who posted a reply. A very helpful group of people! My wife says "thank you all". She is assembling a "one from each country" collection, and thought it would be neat to assemble a "sub-set" of all the QEII countries.

Thanks for all the help!!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2605 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2010  12:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add svslav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not to diminish Sap's greatness in any way, I need to correct a couple of things as this is my primary interest in coins. I'd turn Zambia green, I have eight 2000's coins with E II on them, including two beautiful 1000 kwacha crowns with the latest effigy of the queen on the obverse and Victoria and Edward VII on the reverse.
British Indian Ocean Territory needs to be turned green as well for they issued 2£ coin in 2009, yes with E II on it (I got one )
Edited by svslav
01/27/2010 12:29 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
648 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2010  1:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add schmidty to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks a lot svslav! Youget one, too!

I really appreciate the help from everyone. This is eaasily my favorite coin forum. Actually it's my favorite forum, period!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2605 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2010  2:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add svslav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An afterthought:
Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha have the common currency under umbrella of "St. Helena and Ascension", although each of them issued coins with their respective name on it. Recently a subset of TDC, Gough Island and Nightingale Island, each issued NCLT crowns in their names, and another TDC part, Stoltenhoff Isl., issued "circulating" coinage, 1/2d through 1 crown. Now Gough did the same.
Niue and Pitcairn just minted circulation coins from 5c to dollar or two dollars, so turn them black in Sap's list.
All of the above picture the queen on the obverse.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1837 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2010  4:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add snowman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You forgot to put the British Antarctic Territory on the list.
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 50 / Views: 36,326Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: