Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1759 Salzburg Taler

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1422 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2010  11:32 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Zohar444 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I recently acquired a lovely MS-63 NGC graded Taler which was pedigreed part of the fabulous Dr. Hesselgesser Collection. I could not capture the beauty of this coin with my limited photography skills, yet may get this professionally imaged at some point. In hand it makes one understand why we love this hobby.

1759 Salzburg, Sigismund III., Graf von Schrattenbach (1753-1771) Taler
DAV-1252, KM-394

Learn More...
United States
21837 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2010  12:17 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another beautiful addition, thanks for sharing.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3366 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2010  12:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Archraz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice! Thanks for showing us this.

Out of curiosity, who was Dr. Hesselgesser? I have always wondered much about these individuals who once had famed collections.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
585 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2010  12:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add turtleoverhead to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All I have to say:
Pillar of the Community
United States
1422 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
3366 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2010  12:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Archraz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Zohar444- thanks for the link. It is interesting how they do not mention that he collected talers as well. The article did say that he became interested at 10 but did not start collecting early dollars until 2005, so I just wonder as to what kinds of other stuff he had/ has in his collection.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1422 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2010  12:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zohar444 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
See - http://www.coinlink.com/News/world-...opean-coins/

He was collecting world crowns as well.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3366 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2010  1:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Archraz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Zohar444- Thanks for the link. Very cool stuff!
Pillar of the Community
United States
588 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2010  1:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Podoprigora to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
where do people get such rare coins, I mean where does it all start, do they go to some
little village in europe and ask people there if they have some interesting coins?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1422 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2010  1:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zohar444 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Its all driven by passion. It involves extensive research as well as formation of relationships with dealers that are on the lookout for these nice pieces. My guess the high end stuff travelled through royal families over centuries, ending up in auctions/shows.
Pillar of the Community
United States
588 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2010  3:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Podoprigora to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
might sound silly but I wish I had the power to hold a coin and see all the places its been to and all the people that held it, and all the stuff that evolved around it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1422 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2010  3:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zohar444 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is part of the appeal, it enables travel back in time. Cheers!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05