Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post An Ike (Eisenhower Dollar)  

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 259
Pillar of the Community
United States
2245 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  09:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add solotime to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice Job @Darth Morgan!

Ike dollars really are nice coins!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1125 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2018  02:01 am  Show Profile   Check stewart's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add stewart to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Darth Morgan, Amazingly clean looking fields on the 72D
Notice any reflective quality on her?
I would pull the trigger betting there was

Stewart
Edited by stewart
05/01/2018 02:01 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2478 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  11:14 pm  Show Profile   Check Darth Morgan's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Darth Morgan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Darth Morgan, Amazingly clean looking fields on the 72D
Notice any reflective quality on her?
I would pull the trigger betting there was

Yes, stewart. There is a reflective quality for sure, but it just looks SO clean. The TrueView image really brings out every imperfection, which isn't that noticeable in hand.

So..... this is my latest haul of Ikes. All 7 are 1971-D in MS65. But..... there's something special about each and every one of them. These 7 Ikes were in the middle of an original bank roll from 1971- a real, authentic, bank-wrapped roll. The entire roll was submitted to PCGS, and 11 came back as MS65 and 9 came back as MS66!

So, what's special about these seven? I think some of you may know already. Yes, they are all PROOF PLANCHET 71-D Ikes.

I have a verified proof planchet 71-D that I compared these with, and they are all a perfect match, with each exhibiting a glossy, highly reflective, star-bright white appearance. They sparkle like a proof, but with a slightly grainy texture. I photographed them with direct light to showcase these features. I have a backstory for these following the photos.

I didn't send these coins to PCGS. Roger Kadlac of Kadlac Coins in Orlando, FL did. I purchased these from him on eBay. The pictures in the listings caught my eye. Did this many Ikes from one seller really have that look? Could it be possible? I really doubted myself. In each listing they were described as SUPER BRILLIANT GEM. He had other 71-Ds that looked "normal", and he described them as BU GEM. This was yet another clue.

I contacted him to ask about the origin of this roll. I very much enjoyed our correspondence regarding the matter. I could tell he was an honest, straightforward guy. He purchased several rolls late last year from another seller on eBay who had acquired a hoard of Ike rolls- original, "put-away" rolls from the 1970s. The hoard came from an estate sale. The seller apparently never opened the rolls to check the contents entirely. He said there were a LOT of GEM specimens to come out of that hoard. And believe me, he knows the difference between an original roll and a "made up" roll, as he calls it. The proof, to me, is that this single roll produced 11 MS65 and 9 MS66 specimens! Who in the world would manufacture a roll like this and then sell it without showing off the coins within- especially coins of this caliber? I believe these rolls were sold as truly unsearched bank rolls.

Anyway, I told him they appeared to be proof-like to my eye. Of course, I couldn't know for sure if they would really be proof planchet strikes until I had them in-hand. The gamble paid off in this case. Here's the link to one of them:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPER-BRIL....m2749.l2649

Happy Hunting, my fellow Ikesters!
My Eisenhower dollar Complete Variety Set, Circulation Strikes and Proof (PCGS Registry) - https://www.PCGS.com/SetRegistry/do...edset/119137
Learn More...
United States
59123 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
2478 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2018  09:48 am  Show Profile   Check Darth Morgan's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Darth Morgan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Oh. My.

That is one fantastic score!

Yeah, it really was a stroke of luck that I stumbled upon them. So far I have purchased 9 on eBay- one raw, 7 in PCGS MS65 slabs, and one in an MS66 NGC slab. I also purchased one from Great Collections, also in a PCGS MS65 slab with CAC green bean. It just takes practice looking at one in-hand under different lighting conditions. This has helped me to spot them in the wild- meaning the online venues. Yeah, I’m a sucker for these.
My Eisenhower dollar Complete Variety Set, Circulation Strikes and Proof (PCGS Registry) - https://www.PCGS.com/SetRegistry/do...edset/119137
Edited by Darth Morgan
05/17/2018 09:52 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
7524 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2018  11:37 am  Show Profile   Check oih82w8's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is one of the KotCT Medals that was over-struck onto an Ike dollar.

oih82w8 = "Oh I Hate To Wait"
"I tell her coins keep me off the streets and out of the bars." Moe145
"WOO-SAA...WOo-SAa...Woo-Saa" (calm down)
"An individual who vacillates when there is need of action will find themself beyond the hope of future success."

My Virtual 7070 https://www.PCGS.com/SetRegistry/ty...album/142105
Learn More...
United States
59123 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2018  4:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Yeah, I’m a sucker for these.
We all have our weaknesses.

Let me know if they every become a burden.

Quote:
Very nice!
Valued Member
Dominican Republic
83 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2018  9:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RonZo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Guys!

Here´s my Brown Ike found in a roof of a house in Cuzco, Peru. It was exposed to severe weather (sun, rain, Humidity, dirt, etc). Its a miracle it survived, nice throphy to have :D

Ronzo

Pillar of the Community
United States
1301 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2018  10:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For a damaged coin I think it looks cool, sort of like old cracked paint on antique furniture.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2478 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2018  10:21 am  Show Profile   Check Darth Morgan's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Darth Morgan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here´s my Brown Ike found in a roof of a house in Cuzco, Peru. It was exposed to severe weather (sun, rain, Humidity, dirt, etc). Its a miracle it survived, nice throphy to have.

Interesting! I wonder how it came to be there?! I agree that it looks nice and weathered. Very cool. I love Ikes, and I especially love Ikes with a story. Thanks for sharing.
Learn More...
United States
59123 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2018  12:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here´s my Brown Ike found in a roof of a house in Cuzco, Peru. It was exposed to severe weather (sun, rain, Humidity, dirt, etc). Its a miracle it survived, nice throphy to have :D
Very interesting!

to the Community!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2478 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2018  09:52 am  Show Profile   Check Darth Morgan's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Darth Morgan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

In the "shadow" of Ike. I dig it!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1125 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2018  10:38 am  Show Profile   Check stewart's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add stewart to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Darth Morgan,
That is an absolutely spectacular treasure find my friend. Huge Congratulations To You

Those look amazing, and to be able to find them grouped together in one
roll Just Wow, That is going to be one of the Great Ike Treasure Find stories. I have been pouring over your photos all morning, they all have that "Look" to them where the die imperfections and wear were imparted onto those very well prepared planchets.

In my searching lately I am finding it much more difficult to find
1972 D proof planchets, And I have Encountered zero 73 D's.
Not sure what that mean as far as populations of the different years proof planchets.But it will be fun finding out. Keep your eyes open the 72 D's are out there. I was able to obtain 3 over the last few months.

Stewart

Pillar of the Community
United States
2478 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2018  2:00 pm  Show Profile   Check Darth Morgan's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Darth Morgan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Darth Morgan,
That is an absolutely spectacular treasure find my friend. Huge Congratulations To You

Those look amazing, and to be able to find them grouped together in one
roll Just Wow, That is going to be one of the Great Ike Treasure Find stories. I have been pouring over your photos all morning, they all have that "Look" to them where the die imperfections and wear were imparted onto those very well prepared planchets.

Thank you, stewart! Yes, I am over the moon for these, my friend. I still can't believe my luck. Just being able to tell them apart from regular 71-Ds in photos is the key, as you are already well aware.
There may have been more than these 7 in that single roll because Roger told me he had put away some of the 66's. Hmmmmm. Tantalizing.....

I am stil on the lookout for those 72-D Ikes.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5386 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2018  2:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK all you fellow Ike nuts, I need advice.

I have a friend who has entrusted me with a number of Brown Ikes (maybe 15 or so?) and a few blue ones in OGP. These have been in storage since they were bought. Of course there is the halo toning on some of the Brown ones, and I have also checked some under a scope an found some of the DDOs/DDRs.

He wants me to sell them - preferably in a group (or groups). In other words, piecing them out is something he does not want to go through. I can throw them on eBay - but hey - CCF Family first!

Any ideas on pricing appreciated.

Before I make an official post on CCF, I thought I would allow the Ike nuts a chance to voice interest (note I did not say commit to buy) on this group.

PM me if any of this strikes your fancy.

Its not the best health day or I would be specific. I will open the box and get specific for a PM.

- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Page: of 259 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 7.85 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05