Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post An Ike (Eisenhower Dollar)

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 263
Valued Member
United States
291 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  11:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 40Proof to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, Darth. Great piece. So you have 18 PCGS-graded '76 Type 1 Ikes?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2501 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  12:48 pm  Show Profile   Check Darth Morgan's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Darth Morgan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
An excellent addition to your Ike collection, Darth!

Thank ya, sir.

Quote:
Wow, Darth. Great piece. So you have 18 PCGS-graded '76 Type 1 Ikes?

Thanks! Yes, I do have 18 of these. I'm a sucker for 'em. I'm shooting for 20- a full "roll" to fill a PCGS box. I'm just a little nuts.

My birth year is also 1974, so here's a '74 Ike.

My Eisenhower dollar Complete Variety Set, Circulation Strikes and Proof (PCGS Registry) - https://www.PCGS.com/SetRegistry/do...edset/119137
Valued Member
United States
291 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  1:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 40Proof to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another beautiful toner, Darth!
Learn More...
United States
60475 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  2:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My birth year is also 1974, so here's a '74 Ike.
Fantastic!

1974 is the only complete year (all five coins) in my slabbed set so far.
Valued Member
United States
291 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  10:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 40Proof to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a '72 I inherited from my father.

Edited by 40Proof
07/11/2018 7:13 pm
Learn More...
United States
60475 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  11:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here's a '72 I inherited from my father.
Very nice and sentimental as well!
Valued Member
United States
291 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  1:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 40Proof to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Very nice and sentimental as well!

Thanks, jbuck. Actually, all of the Ikes I've been posting were handed down from my father. He had a bunch of them (30 or so). However, I recently bought a graded Ike for my personal collection and hope to share some pics soon.

Speaking of pictures, mine tend to look much better than the ones I post on here. Unfortunately, since the files are too large, the forum image optimizer forces me to dumb them down, which makes them lose sharpness. Even when I sharpen them with the optimizer, they're still fuzzier than my original pics, and sharpening them too much makes them look distorted/worse. I'm working on a new lighting setup and probably need to invest in some good editing software, which will hopefully help, but it's still frustrating.
Learn More...
United States
60475 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  2:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Actually, all of the Ikes I've been posting were handed down from my father. He had a bunch of them (30 or so).

Quote:
However, I recently bought a graded Ike for my personal collection and hope to share some pics soon.
Looking forward to seeing it.

Quote:
Speaking of pictures, mine tend to look much better than the ones I post on here...
Have you tried using paint.net?
Valued Member
United States
291 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  2:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 40Proof to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Have you tried using paint.net?

I actually do use this. It does help, but I still have some learning to do.
Learn More...
United States
60475 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  3:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good to hear! With paint.net you should never need to use the CCF optimizer. Just adjust the image size and the adjust the quality (which affects file size) when you save the JPG.
Valued Member
United States
291 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  3:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 40Proof to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, jbuck. I'll try that.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2501 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  9:42 pm  Show Profile   Check Darth Morgan's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Darth Morgan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok, guys. I was able to cherrypick yet another 1971-D PROOF planchet Ike. The link to the BIN listing is below. The pictures included in this listing are the best I've seen as far as indicators go. This one jumped right out at me! If you're looking for this particular issue on eBay, then this is what you want to see for a dead giveaway..... now start hunting!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-D-1-I....m2749.l2649

I took some additional photos to show just how smooth and glossy these proof planchet 71-D Ikes really are. This one looks exactly like the other 7 I recently found (see page 249).

This shot really shows its proof-like characteristic:

Direct light:

This is how the coin appears in a straight slab shot with indirect light. Look at that BOOMING cartwheel luster! There is only one noticeable mark in the middle of the neck, which looks worse here than it really is. But other than that it is super clean with NO annealing chatter.

And I couldn't help but notice how this coin resembles a reverse proof in this close-up obverse picture from the listing:
My Eisenhower dollar Complete Variety Set, Circulation Strikes and Proof (PCGS Registry) - https://www.PCGS.com/SetRegistry/do...edset/119137
Edited by Darth Morgan
07/11/2018 9:43 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7895 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  10:19 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What kind of premium is there for the proof planchet Ikes?
"Baseball gets you out in the fresh air and keeps you from talking about your neighbors."
-Lib Dooley

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Pillar of the Community
United States
2501 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  11:24 pm  Show Profile   Check Darth Morgan's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Darth Morgan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What kind of premium is there for the proof planchet Ikes?[quote]

I honestly have no idea. These are never listed for what they actually are because most aren't aware of their existence. They simply appear as super bright white GEMS to those selling them. But make no mistake- these PP Ikes look exceptionally different from their "regular" CuNi counterparts. The Ike Group used to attribute them in the past, but they no longer do it mainly because they require an LDS (late die state) example for a definitive diagnosis. I think this proved to be too impractical for their purposes.

They are out there in the wild just waiting to be cherry picked. I got this one for $31 plus shipping. The group of 7 I purchased before were $19.99 each. I've been picking them up as I run across them on the bay, and the price varies from seller to seller, as is usual. All of the PCGS examples I have found are in MS65, although I did get one in an NGC MS66 holder.

But back to your question: I don't think there will be any real premium attached to these until this variety is officially recognized. I can only hope that it will happen some day.

Edited by Darth Morgan
07/11/2018 11:37 pm
Valued Member
United States
291 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  08:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 40Proof to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting information, Darth. Thanks for enlightening those of us who aren't as knowledgeable about Ikes.
Page: of 263 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.15 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05