Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post An Ike (Eisenhower Dollar)  

Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 257
Learn More...
United States
57885 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  1:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Ok, guys. I was able to cherrypick yet another 1971-D PROOF planchet Ike.
Fantastic! I saw that listing and almost took a bite. Congratulations.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5319 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  9:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice pics Darth thanks for the education. I hope to one day see one of these in person.
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2462 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  9:46 pm  Show Profile   Check Darth Morgan's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Darth Morgan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Fantastic! I saw that listing and almost took a bite. Congratulations.

I had a feeling it wouldn't last long. There were two other people watching it already. I made FIVE best offers and ALL were declined automatically. Even my BO of $29 was rejected, so I wonder if he meant to do a make an offer style auction. I waited a little while longer and bought it. I just couldn't let it go.

Quote:
Very nice pics Darth thanks for the education. I hope to one day see one of these in person.

I hope you can too, Earle. They are remarkable pieces to behold in person. They look WAY too good to be what they are.

Oh, yeah. And I acquired a new upgrade for the registry set: 1971-D in MS66. It is SUPER clean with a very pleasing light bronze patina.
My Eisenhower dollar Complete Variety Set, Circulation Strikes and Proof (PCGS Registry) - https://www.PCGS.com/SetRegistry/do...edset/119137
Edited by Darth Morgan
07/12/2018 9:54 pm
Learn More...
United States
57885 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2018  11:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I had a feeling it wouldn't last long. There were two other people watching it already.
I was one of them. I looked at my watch list and forgot I had actually watched it.

I hope I can spend some time on the Bay this weekend. I need to feed my set! The 1973 pair seems like a long time ago.

Quote:
Oh, yeah. And I acquired a new upgrade for the registry set: 1971-D in MS66. It is SUPER clean with a very pleasing light bronze patina.
Very nice!
Pillar of the Community
United States
663 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2018  10:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cross-eyed to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The other day I bought a toned Ike.After photographing it,and posting it in the main forum.I put it in one of the extra holes at the back of My #8176.
While I had it out,I naturally looked through the album at each of the coins. And when I got to the 1972,look what popped out at Me.I've looked at these coins for years,many,many times.But, this is the first time I saw this.It a Talon head.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2462 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2018  11:18 am  Show Profile   Check Darth Morgan's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Darth Morgan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I hope I can spend some time on the Bay this weekend. I need to feed my set! The 1973 pair seems like a long time ago.

You can always PM, buddy. I have extra inventory.

Quote:
While I had it out,I naturally looked through the album at each of the coins. And when I got to the 1972,look what popped out at me. I've looked at these coins for years, many, many times. But, this is the first time I saw this. It's a Talon head.

NICE!

This happened to me as well. I had a 1971-D (PCGS MS64) for a while before I noticed that it had a very prominent Talon Head. I'm very surprised that this variety isn't attributed by NGC and PCGS. I'm not sure if ANACS does either. I mean, it's a naked eye variety for cryin' out loud. Have you seen some of the double and even triple talon heads? They're bizarre. Do some more checking on your Ikes. You never know if you'll find something else.
My Eisenhower dollar Complete Variety Set, Circulation Strikes and Proof (PCGS Registry) - https://www.PCGS.com/SetRegistry/do...edset/119137
Pillar of the Community
United States
5319 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2018  1:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice find! I have yet to find one.
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2462 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2018  10:08 pm  Show Profile   Check Darth Morgan's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Darth Morgan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ Cross-eyed - I was re-organizing some photos tonight when I discovered that TWO of my 71-D proof planchet Ikes have a talon head, with one being very prominent!

This one is a "weak" talon impression, but it's there:

a little easier to see with brighter light:

No close-up needed for this bold and prominent talon:
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7355 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2018  12:07 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice discussion. Yet another variety I just learned of. I will have to check my Ikes for the Talon Head. Any specific years/mints to look at or is it just clash randomness?
Bad puns make me [sic].

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Pillar of the Community
United States
1167 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2018  01:19 am  Show Profile   Check ilikeikes's eBay Listings Check ilikeikes's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add ilikeikes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Rob Ezerman used to go nuts over Proof Planchets...all of his math, #'s made, etc, in big IKE Book..a must read for any IKE nut. Didn't Tom K find a RPM on 1 of these, years ago?
Redwood Empire Coin Club#788
ANA#3144406

Pillar of the Community
United States
663 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2018  08:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cross-eyed to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Darth Morgan:This happened to me as well. I had a 1971-D (PCGS MS64) for a while before I noticed that it had a very prominent Talon Head. I'm very surprised that this variety isn't attributed by NGC and PCGS. I'm not sure if ANACS does either. I mean, it's a naked eye variety for cryin' out loud. Have you seen some of the double and even triple talon heads? They're bizarre. Do some more checking on your Ikes. You never know if you'll find something else.

Yeah,I don't know why they ( TPG) wouldn't list an obvious error like that. But,then again I don't mess with TPG's much anyhow.
I have been over too the Ike Group Forum a few times,but there is so much info over there,it's all most over whelming when trying to attribute a coin.I just need to lurk more often and figure them out better.
That said,I do look for other errors,I just don't always see what I'm looking for.But when I do see it,then it's easy too see it after that.Go figure.

Quote:
Earle42:Very nice find! I have yet to find one.

Thanks Earle42!I have been kinda lucky here lately,maybe some will rub off and You'll find one.

Quote:
@ Cross-eyed - I was re-organizing some photos tonight when I discovered that TWO of my 71-D proof planchet Ikes have a talon head, with one being very prominent!

Congrat's,I love it when that happens to Me.

Quote:
Darth Morgan:This one is a "weak" talon impression, but it's there...a little easier to see with brighter light.:

I have a new,over the shoulder, bright light.Which probably allowed Me too see it now.
Edited by Cross-eyed
07/15/2018 08:16 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6781 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2018  8:01 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So, uh, yeah, you know there's about zero chance that I was not going to bid on this...best 9 bucks I've spent in awhile. Apparently not much competition. I bet most of the Ike lovers have one of these already, though.

1971 Medallic Art Co. (MACO) Eisenhower dollar medal in bronze. Complete w/box and pamphlet, to boot.

A really awesome medal featuring the obverse designs of some of the most famous silver dollar coin designs from the 1794 Dollar up to the then-new 1971 Ike, with the man himself on the other side.

Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
287 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2018  9:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mtuma3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cool Medal, never saw that one before...
ANA Member
Mark
Official Snowbird!
Illinois in Summer, Florida in Winter
Pillar of the Community
United States
2462 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2018  06:06 am  Show Profile   Check Darth Morgan's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Darth Morgan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Nice discussion. Yet another variety I just learned of. I will have to check my Ikes for the Talon Head. Any specific years/mints to look at or is it just clash randomness?

I know they exist for the years 71,72, 74, 77 and 78. Iím uncertain about 1973 and the bicentennial years. The talon head is the result of random clashing. Some are more distinct than others. The really cool ones are the double and even triple talons. I know of one that was a quadrupled talon!

Check out this listing for a very nice example of a double talon head. Be sure to look up the TrueView image. It really stands out.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?...ulk%2Fitm%2F292632647627
Edited by Darth Morgan
07/16/2018 06:07 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2462 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2018  06:10 am  Show Profile   Check Darth Morgan's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Darth Morgan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
..best 9 bucks I've spent in awhile.

Iíll say!

Iíve seen these before, and theyíre very nice, both the bronze and silver. Congratulations. At only $9.00 it was a steal for sure.
Page: of 257 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.43 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05