Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post An Ike (Eisenhower Dollar)

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5,127 / Views: 419,629Next Topic
Page: of 342
Valued Member
United States
357 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2022  02:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SpeedDemonND to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well done.
Learn More...
United States
120727 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2022  10:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Now I have reason to be on here! I am sure jbuck and others have heard of the Big Sky Hoard of high grade Ikes. I believe most were 1977-D and some 223,000 dollars were in this hoard. This is a nice NGC MS-65 graded one, and I only spent $2.00 for it! I have several Ikes in my collection, but I think this one will go in my American type set
Outstanding!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2633 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2022  11:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't really understand why anyone would hoard 223,000 cupronickel Ike dollars. Bad investment if you ask me.
Learn More...
United States
120727 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2022  4:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Might have been out of a peculiar compulsion without any logical reasoning.

They bought them and kept them in the Fed vault. I doubt they ever laid eyes on them.

https://thomasnumismatics.com/en/bl...ky-treasure/
Pillar of the Community
United States
703 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2022  7:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
By boyfriend found a bag of bicentennial "stuff" at his house while cleaning out his parent's room. There are a bunch of coins in there.
I'm pretty sure his grandmother, who worked at a bank in Concord MA, put all of the things aside, and as far as 1975-6 coins, as soon as she saw them, so they shouldn't have much wear. I took this one home to look at.

Anyone have an idea what happened to Ike's chin?

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14052 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
703 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2022  10:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
THANKS Dearborn! Seeing the size of those bags, it is amazing we don't see this on EVERY coin!
Learn More...
United States
120727 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2022  11:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice find!

Yes,this Ike took one on the chin from one of his brethren. It happens more than should have been allowed.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1971 Posts
 Posted 12/25/2022  08:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ratman4762 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
40% Silver! Nice!
Pillar of the Community
United States
703 Posts
 Posted 12/25/2022  5:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
40% Silver! Nice!

Oddly enough, so far every Ike in that goodie bag are "S" coins!

I assume that mark effects value quite a bit? I should take a closer look and see if any of the others are nice enough to share here... Are those 1975-6 coins worth getting graded at all? Just curious, as they don't even belong to me (I liberated the one I shared here but will probably give it back to him).
Pillar of the Community
Australia
4645 Posts
 Posted 12/25/2022  6:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My Eisenhower Presidential dollar proof.
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 16,800 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Learn More...
United States
120727 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2022  2:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Are those 1975-6 coins worth getting graded at all?
In my opinion, no. As indicated, the marks will keep the grade down. Also important is that I paid considerably less for the second-hand slabbed Ikes in my PCGS set than if I had bought the coins and sent them in for grading myself.

Quote:
My Eisenhower Presidential dollar proof.
Very nice!
Pillar of the Community
United States
758 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2022  7:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HumblePie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1974 S Eisenhower dollar - Blue Pack.

I thought this Ike was a nice one from what I could see through the plastic. I debated on taking it out of the package and putting it in a close fit holder.

Learn More...
United States
120727 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2022  08:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
1974 S Eisenhower dollar - Blue Pack.
Fantastic!

Quote:
I thought this Ike was a nice one from what I could see through the plastic.
Indeed.

Quote:
I debated on taking it out of the package and putting it in a close fit holder.
It is certainly worth considering.
Pillar of the Community
United States
703 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2022  5:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Let me clarify: should I search through the bag of Ikes and find one UNMARKED and possibly get it graded? Didn't mean the "take it on the chin" coin I shared ;-)
Page: of 342 Previous TopicReplies: 5,127 / Views: 419,629Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: