Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Dime Roll Searching

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6,437 / Views: 533,496Next Topic
Page: of 430
Valued Member
United States
57 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2022  8:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coin sleuth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I had some amazing finds when searching 20 rolls recently. Found a 1960-D in one roll & a 1961-D in another.
But wait for it..
In a single roll I found 13 silvers. 1917, 19, 24, 46, 52-D, 53-D, 62-D, 64-D(x4) and 2 Canadians, 1940 & 1961
Valued Member
United States
57 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2022  9:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coin sleuth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

My mistake, here are the pics at the right orientation
Learn More...
United States
112247 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2022  9:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I had some amazing finds when searching 20 rolls recently. Found a 1960-D in one roll & a 1961-D in another. But wait for it.. In a single roll I found 13 silvers. 1917, 19, 24, 46, 52-D, 53-D, 62-D, 64-D(x4) and 2 Canadians, 1940 & 1961
Outstanding!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2421 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2022  08:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! Great finds, coin_slueth! I would be hitting that bank again!
CRH Nickeloholic. 1,300,000 nickels searched in five years! Already have found THREE complete Jefferson sets!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2421 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2022  5:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Got 1,000 dimes yesterday... found 2 2009-Ds, but nothing else of note. Dimes are always hit or miss.
CRH Nickeloholic. 1,300,000 nickels searched in five years! Already have found THREE complete Jefferson sets!
Learn More...
United States
112247 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2022  09:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
found 2 2009-Ds
Ouch! Slim pickings, but better than nothing I suppose.
Pillar of the Community
United States
564 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  11:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tencentpenny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I found this 1959-D in only four rolls of dimes that I got from my bank; I also got a box of cents from my bank.
Learn More...
United States
112247 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
564 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2022  09:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tencentpenny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have noticed that in my town, older dimes are getting less common, even the clad 1965-1969 dimes; the oldest one I found in a roll recently was a 1971-D; I have found some silver, but since the last batch of dimes where I found that 1959-D silver, there has not been many dimes from the 1960s. I plan on getting five more rolls of dimes tomorrow (my mom gave me $25 for an early Valentine's day present) to keep testing my observation on older clad dimes getting rarer.
Learn More...
United States
112247 Posts
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2022  10:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TomM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi everyone. I started hunting dimes late last year and would like to share my finds to date. The information on this forum has been very helpful to me and I'd like to contribute.

I hunt a few dime boxes each week and plan to update when I have the time.

A spreadsheet tabulating my finds is below. This sheet excludes a significant hoard which will be mentioned in a subsequent post.

I've detected a noticeable difference between CWR and MWR and will be separating the two for statistical comparison from now on. I think CWR are much more productive. MWR aren't barren, though: I had one MW box with two Mercuries and two Roosevelts, and I found a 1918 Mercury in another MWR, so it will
be interesting to see how the results come out going forward.

Dimes are fun, and are my denomination of choice. The only issue I've had is that it takes time for CWRs to accumulate at a given branch. And I'm still waiting for my first Barber.

United States
4 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2022  10:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TomM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In mid-March I came across a dime hoard. The vault teller at a PNC sold me a box of accumulated CWR and mentioned that some of the rolls looked old. I joked "Yeah, but there's nothing worse than an old wrapper full of 2021s!"

Two rolls caught my attention. They were a little faded and read "Brandt, Watertown, Wis, USA". But I've come across these Brandt wrappers before, and they have not been correlated with any unusually older coins.

This time was different. The first roll contained 51 dimes: five gem AU clad 1965s, 45 silver Roosevelts, and one Mercury with the date scratched off. Some of the 1963 and 64 Roosevelts were BU.

The second roll, to my amazement, contained 50 Mercuries! Without doubt, my best CRH find so far. Late 30s and early 40s and with some wear, but all were solidly in the VG-EF range.

I returned and bought two more CWR boxes from the bank, but found nothing out of the ordinary. Two more rolls had the same wrapper, but contained only AU late 60s/early 70s clad dimes. Perhaps these were from the same customer.

A spreadsheet including the hoard is below, along with a few photos and a sheet with the dates tabulated.

Learn More...
United States
112247 Posts
United States
35 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2022  3:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SpeedDemonND to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I haven't searched rolls in quite a while. But the greatest find I had wasn't even found by me. About 15 years ago when I was in college, one of my best friends worked at a local Subway and knowing my affinity for coin collecting, would always look for and keep aside any coins she thought I would like so I could reimburse her later.

One day as she was cracking open a roll of dimes, she discovered almost 40 of them were silver! Most were Roosevelts, but a dozen or so Mercury dimes were hiding there as well.

I'll probably never get as lucky as that again, but I still remember that day every time I have gone through coins ever since. You never know what's out there.
Learn More...
United States
112247 Posts
Page: of 430 Previous TopicReplies: 6,437 / Views: 533,496Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: