Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Dime Roll Searching

First page | Previous Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6,443 / Views: 540,785Next Topic
Page: of 430
Pillar of the Community
United States
9004 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2022  4:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dimes and Subway...eat fresh and score silver.
Learn More...
United States
115001 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
2439 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2022  2:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum, TomM!

And that's a great find... if you scroll back a few pages, you'll find my silver dime hoard from early 2021 - 450 silver dimes in total including 9 Mercs (two trips to the same bank almost a month apart).

http://goccf.com/t/60961&whichpage=423#3360407 (400 coins)
http://goccf.com/t/60961&whichpage=422#3341859 (50 coins)
CRH Nickeloholic. 1,300,000 nickels searched in five years! Already have found THREE complete Jefferson sets!
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2022  8:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TomM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A belated thank you for the welcome, John77. I've found your previous posts very informative, and that massive find was really something.

I recently crossed the 200 box mark and figured it was time for an update.

In 200 boxes, I've found 367 silver dimes (290 Roosevelt, 72 Mercury, and 5 Canadian silver). My average including hoards is 1.83 silvers per box; without hoards I find an average of 1.095 silvers per box. I have found two hoards so far, the first which I previously described.

I found my second hoard three weeks ago, from an unremarkable lunch break trip to a bank near my workplace. The lead teller doesn't like to give out coin, but let me exchange ten rolls I had gone through for ten CWR. Eight rolls were all clad, but two rolls contained a total of 53 silver dimes, including four Mercury dimes (photos below). Modern dimes, including 2021s, were mixed in. I went back the next day, but they had no other rolls.

In other news, I started separating Brinks boxes from CWR in my records back in April, and the difference is stark. I find a silver dimes about every four Brinks boxes, compared to the 1.83 per box figure for combined CWR and MWR (which would be even higher if I removed the Brinks boxes from this average). This does not count fresh 2021/22 boxes, which I do not unroll but typically swap for CWR from coin-stressed branches. Clad Canadians are likewise scarce in Brinks, which may indicate weight sorting somewhere upstream.

One of my banks has dropped Brinks and started to use a local supplier (Titan). They seem to be better for silver, but my sample size is small; I found a 1953 Canadian (below) in one of their rolls the other day.

I go to 60-70 banks each month, and I scarcely ever see marked dime rolls or hear of another collector who hunts dimes; this is in contrast to nickels, quarters, and especially halves. It puzzles me, because I'm having a great time, but perhaps other collectors have had a bad experience with Brinks MWR and moved to other denominations.

Learn More...
United States
115001 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2022  10:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
In 200 boxes, I've found 367 silver dimes (290 Roosevelt, 72 Mercury, and 5 Canadian silver). My average including hoards is 1.83 silvers per box; without hoards I find an average of 1.095 silvers per box.
Excellent!
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2022  10:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TomM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, jbuck!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3351 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2022  11:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice stats...keep on hunting.

KK
Pillar of the Community
United States
717 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  11:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add carloscoria to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had great luck with dimes pre pandemic. From April 2018 - December 2018 I averaged 7 dimes per 1000 searched. Now its much slower, but switched to halfs again. Silver finds are great at the moment.
Page: of 430 Previous TopicReplies: 6,443 / Views: 540,785Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: