Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1881 S Help on type PL/DMPL/Proof  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1415 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2010  7:55 pm Show Profile   Check twohawks's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add twohawks to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I pulled this out of my bucket from Xmas. I do not own a Proof Morgan, and this doesn't look like any PL I have.

Could this be a proof? Or just a nice toner!

"The Necessity of Procuring Good Intelligence is Apparent & Need not be Further Urged"
General George Washington
Learn More...
United States
23295 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2010  8:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Caveat: I have slight reservations about the originality of the surfaces. For the purposes of this post, we'll assume they are original.

It won't be a proof - those were minted in Philadelphia with a very few exceptions - but it may be the finest 1881-S business strike I've ever seen. Holy cow, this coin is amazing!

It's a slam-dunk 66 with a real shot at 67 from any TPG. Let's put it this way:

That's an NGC MS67. Here's a 68:

Your coin does not really have to take a back seat to either. Twohawks, this is one of the finest coins a member has ever posted from their collection to Coin Community. Thank you for allowing me to see this one. I would travel to you for the chance to get it under my lens.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1415 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2010  8:52 pm  Show Profile   Check twohawks's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add twohawks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dave E-mail your address to me If you pay the shipping back to me I will send it to you. This thing looks nicer in person.
"The Necessity of Procuring Good Intelligence is Apparent & Need not be Further Urged"
Learn More...
United States
23295 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2010  9:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This thing looks nicer in person.

Wut?

It would be a great pleasure to have a go at this coin. I would warn you, though, to consider that this is the Internet, and either of us could be entirely different persons than we represent ourselves to be. It's not like I have anything except Moderator status and a demonstrated skill with photography to convince you to trust me with what might be a $2000 coin. Well, maybe that and the fact that I've done stuff like this before.

With that said, I'm like a 2-hour drive from Bobby and Susan, they know where I live and I'm not sure I could take him if he's mad enough.

I will PM you with my physical address. If you choose to send the coin, I strongly advise you to send it via Priority Mail Flat Rate. My best guess at grade is a strong 66, which makes it about a $250 coin (the jump to 67 is huge) and that's what I'd insure for if it were me. That will require me to sign for it at this end. The cost will be about $10 each way insured.

In return I'll shoot it under black, white and grey backgrounds with both direct and axial lighting. I think this one will really pop under axial lighting, which will give you and the rest of the membership an idea of the "deception" involved with toners - you have to light them properly to be as pretty as the pictures show.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2373 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2010  12:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nlp coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What is that bucket made of, VELVET? Can't wait to see more pics of that beauty. nlp
Pillar of the Community
United States
3072 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2010  12:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add aladinslamp to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
very nice R.....I hope to get my lighting right I'll post something..
Gorgeous coin!!Gene
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1415 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2010  12:42 am  Show Profile   Check twohawks's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add twohawks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That bucket has had it's share of crud. Well over half of them I have gotten rid of. I am now going in and just pulling all AU looking and up. I have gone thur about half of them already since Dec. Its been fun every other day a little surprise. Now I am worried that something will get nailed by another coin.
Learn More...
United States
23295 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2010  7:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Got the coin on my way to work, will comment more when I get home tonight. Posting from my phone is a slow process.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1534 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2010  9:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wheatguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The lack of luster from the photos and the eagle's breast not being that detailed for an 81-S scared me at first, so I await SuperDave's conclusion and photos.

Amazingly clean cheek and nice toning though.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1415 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2010  9:30 pm  Show Profile   Check twohawks's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add twohawks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dave E-mailed me The coin has been cleaned hard some time ago. It shows up under the lighting Dave is using. I will keep it anyway, as it still looks very nice in hand. But as Dave told me it would get kicked by any (good) TPG.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3072 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2010  12:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add aladinslamp to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thats too bad , Mine has some hairlines on it also, still can't get the color right, but there keepers for sure, in 50 years we can submit them!

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1415 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2010  02:49 am  Show Profile   Check twohawks's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add twohawks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Learn More...
United States
23295 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2010  10:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
still can't get the color right,

Gimp is your friend.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05