Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Opinions On Buying Fom Great Southern Coins

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 78 / Views: 35,587Next Topic
Page: of 6
Pillar of the Community
United States
7710 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2012  02:08 am  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I sent a note to them asking what it was that they were putting on their coins to make them look so nice. I never got a reply one way or the other. I would keep looking.
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
United States
45 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2012  03:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travis2005 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's funny Raymo, Unfortunately the photo enhancing is what makes these top sellers money. Why doesn't their feedback reflect what the majority are saying in this thread?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1314 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2012  09:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add murty to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When in doubt pass on their coins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
716 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2012  09:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add beaglebailey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just accessed the CCF link to the hottest IHC coins currently being bid on EBay. Of the top 36 IHC's, 7 are from GSC and they also have the top 2. I didn't look at any other coins, but obviously their photos are convincing a lot of potential buyers.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
21181 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2012  12:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I purchased several raw BU-62 and 63 Morgan dollars from their eBay auctions a couple years ago. Guess I was one of the lucky one's, no problems and coins were as stated.
Valued Member
United States
227 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2012  2:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add donkrx to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was immediately suspicious of GSC when I saw their stuff on ebay. Incredibly overdone contrast to make the coins look brighter and more appealing in some sense.... also probably used to hide evidence of cleaning or other marks. All you have to do though is look at the coin in the picture right next to a coin from a normal picture and you'll see just how drastically altering their photography methods are.

Keep in mind with regard to feedback that plenty of people who buy coins raw (if I remember, GSC sells most coins raw) buy them because they dont want slabbed coins... a good number of them probably don't get sent in for grading. So who knows how many of those positive feedback comments were from problem coins?

EDIT: (deleted) Nevermind, I did not realize there were two sellers, one "greatsoutherncoins" and another "greatsoutherncoin"... apparently the one with the "s" at the end un-registered or something. I wonder if they had a lot of bad feedback? Their name clearly is Great Southern Coins" as it is on their website. Everything about this seller just seems suspect.
Edited by donkrx
06/09/2012 2:34 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3174 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2012  05:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mkman123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
won't even take a chance. Plenty of other good sellers to buy from
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2012  10:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jsabertooth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My two cents on buying from Great Southern Coins. I purchased (5) CH UNC or BU $2.50 Gold Indian quarter eagles this spring from GSC using their Ebay auction site. After receiving the first one I called and talked with the owner. He assured me they used top professional graders and would guarantee that all five were choice or Brilliant Uncirculated condition as described and his length and breath of operation proved he was honest and reliable. I then proposed withholding feedback until I received them back from PCGS grading, whereupon he promptly became very angry and blocked me from bidding on any of his auctions. Noting problems with these coins I waited and sent them in recently with my renewed membership free PGCS grading coupon and my suspicions were justified. Only one of the 5 coins graded uncirculated details as it had been CLEANED. Another was AU details - also CLEANED. The other three were all circulated AU58. I have been trying to contact them using their website but emails don't go through. I would stay as far away from this outfit as possible. Definitely enhanced pictures and embellished descriptions.
Learn More...
United States
16357 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2012  11:02 pm  Show Profile   Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Never purchased from him and never will. He doesn't really have the Types I mainly collect anyway.
ANA LM1214396
U.S. Colonial and Large Cent fanatic.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7729 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2012  12:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have been "BLOCKED" from placing bids with them for informing them that the titles were wrong (Type I SLQ identified as a Type II).
Valued Member
United States
275 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2012  4:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coppertop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have picked and received an altered coin from them. The messages and customer feedback emails were very thought out and professional but It was almost as it was copy pasted like they were used to it. They even suggested I send the coin for grade and if it was rejected they'd cover that too. However none of this changed the fact the coin was altered(in my opinon) <==I have to say that as I roll my eyes.
Coin went back and , although I see good varieties from them, they lost my business, it is what it is you can't polish a terd and thats what it appears the coins I've come across are
Edited by Coppertop
09/19/2012 4:36 pm
Valued Member
United States
123 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2012  7:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add magicalmke to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I bought a half dime or is it half disme from gsc. Not as nice in hand as in picture. The real issue with gsc to me is that their prices get way too high for a picture that is highly enhanced. As another poster said lots of other buyers to choose from.
Learn More...
United States
16357 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2012  10:49 pm  Show Profile   Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ANA LM1214396
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2012  11:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would be shocked if that coin looked like that in hand from vermons link
Learn More...
United States
16357 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2012  11:52 pm  Show Profile   Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Badly recolored.
ANA LM1214396
Page: of 6 Previous TopicReplies: 78 / Views: 35,587Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.72 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05