Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Old Bills Found In Circulation! Post Yours!

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 1,152 / Views: 247,435Next Topic
Page: of 77
Learn More...
United States
104611 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2020  5:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I got these at bank when I requested 10 singles last week--They are PERFECT and look Uncirculated--1969 D all in sequence order.
Very nice! Keep!
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
381 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2020  1:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Snoopydoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like the DB Cooper thought.

Without a doubt I would press them out, put them in protection and save forever!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3367 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2020  2:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Without a doubt I would press them out, put them in protection and save forever!

Will you please elaborate on this quote ?
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
381 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2020  4:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Snoopydoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sure,
I like to take bills I'm going to keep and do the following:
I get a very light stream of Luke warm warm water running, to get any surface dirt off. (I don't want foreign matter to get pressed into the bill)
I lightly wipe the bill with my fingers under the water for a few seconds.
Then I dry off any excess water.
Then I take a sheet of clean printer paper, and fold it in half, and put the bill in it.
Then I open up one of my unused hard back books and put the bill, in the folded sheet of paper, into the book.
Then I put two more big heavy books on top of that book, then I put a heavy Ammo can that has 5000 pennies in it, on top of those books.
I leave it there for several weeks.
Then I open it up and take the bills out and put them in sleeves, then in top loaders.
I find this process gets out any superficial bends, and it's flattened out nicely.
It doesn't remove creases, and obviously can't repair slight tears you find in circulated currency, but it's easier to insert them into sleeves and holders.
Just plain water can also get off light pencil marks, and even the yellow Counterfeit Detection pen markings you sometimes find on your circulation currency.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3367 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2020  4:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting, thanks.

Do you also collect coins, and if so, please tell me about your cleaning process for them.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
381 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2020  4:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Snoopydoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do collect coins, but I don't clean them.
I've only cleaned coins (namely heavily circulated wheat cents) that I've determined were so bad that they didn't have any numismatic value, and I couldn't determine what they were, i.e. date and mint mark. Or if on one of those corroded ones I thought I saw some other anomaly, again after determining there was no numismatic value in that state, those I would try and clean up enough to identify.
So I don't have a coin cleaning plan.
Pillar of the Community
United States
800 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2020  9:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coincollector110 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've found several small head bills since my last post that were saved by bank tellers, but this one counts as a circulation find!

Customer in front of me at Wawa (man in 60s-70s with NY accent) was digging through his wallet (that appeared to have no cash in it) to pay for some coffee and finally pulled a bill folded in 4ths out of a hidden compartment. I could see it was a small head $10, and when I changed my payment so I'd get a $10 as change, the cashier initially tried to give me a new $10 already in the drawer but obliged when I asked if I could have "that old looking $10 the guy ahead of me paid with" It turns out that bill was not only an old style $10, it was a series 1950! I've always wondered how old bills re-enter circulation, and since I saw who paid with it I'm wondering how long he was holding onto that bill! (Guess coffee was REALLY important to him if he was willing to part with a bill that old)
Learn More...
United States
104611 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Germany
686 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2020  2:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add redlock to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My brother visited the USA in the 1980s quite a lot. He got the $10 bill in change (probably in the second half of the 1980s) and returned with it to Germany. As it was an (approx.) 50 year old banknote back then I asked him if I could have it. I could.
I put it in a drawer and forgot about it. It stayed in the drawer for roughly 30 years. When I did some house cleaning a few weeks ago (what else could one do during the height of that darn pandemic) I found the bill. Even though it's not in a particular good state I'll keep it. Memories...

P.S.: Yes, I am fully aware I am ''stretching'' the theme of this thread with a banknote that was in a drawer for 30 years...
Learn More...
United States
104611 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2020  2:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
P.S.: Yes, I am fully aware I am ''stretching'' the theme of this thread with a banknote that was in a drawer for 30 years...
Works for me. Nice "find!"
Pillar of the Community
758 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  5:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ckrakowski to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Today I received a Barr bill in circulation.

That is right a 1963B $1 bill.

I could not believe it.

Not only was it an old bill but a bill that was only printed for one month.
Learn More...
United States
104611 Posts
Valued Member
United States
185 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2021  11:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add luckyrollers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I found these two weeks ago while searching 500-700 $1 notes.

Learn More...
United States
104611 Posts
Valued Member
United States
185 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2021  12:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add luckyrollers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I noticed a thread over on the Collectors Universe forum ( PCGS) that featured a $2 note received as a tip. Solid 1's on a $2 Dallas (11) note with an H11 front plate number. I tried desperately to buy it, with no luck.

Click to see a Larger Image!

THAT IS AWESOME!!
Page: of 77 Previous TopicReplies: 1,152 / Views: 247,435Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05