Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Old Bills Found In Circulation! Post Yours!

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 76
Learn More...
United States
82686 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2020  5:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I got these at bank when I requested 10 singles last week--They are PERFECT and look Uncirculated--1969 D all in sequence order.
Very nice! Keep!
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
178 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2020  1:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Snoopydoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like the DB Cooper thought.

Without a doubt I would press them out, put them in protection and save forever!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2498 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2020  2:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Without a doubt I would press them out, put them in protection and save forever!

Will you please elaborate on this quote ?
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
178 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2020  4:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Snoopydoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sure,
I like to take bills I'm going to keep and do the following:
I get a very light stream of Luke warm warm water running, to get any surface dirt off. (I don't want foreign matter to get pressed into the bill)
I lightly wipe the bill with my fingers under the water for a few seconds.
Then I dry off any excess water.
Then I take a sheet of clean printer paper, and fold it in half, and put the bill in it.
Then I open up one of my unused hard back books and put the bill, in the folded sheet of paper, into the book.
Then I put two more big heavy books on top of that book, then I put a heavy Ammo can that has 5000 pennies in it, on top of those books.
I leave it there for several weeks.
Then I open it up and take the bills out and put them in sleeves, then in top loaders.
I find this process gets out any superficial bends, and it's flattened out nicely.
It doesn't remove creases, and obviously can't repair slight tears you find in circulated currency, but it's easier to insert them into sleeves and holders.
Just plain water can also get off light pencil marks, and even the yellow counterfeit detection pen markings you sometimes find on your circulation currency.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2498 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2020  4:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting, thanks.

Do you also collect coins, and if so, please tell me about your cleaning process for them.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
178 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2020  4:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Snoopydoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do collect coins, but I don't clean them.
I've only cleaned coins (namely heavily circulated wheat cents) that I've determined were so bad that they didn't have any numismatic value, and I couldn't determine what they were, i.e. date and mint mark. Or if on one of those corroded ones I thought I saw some other anomaly, again after determining there was no numismatic value in that state, those I would try and clean up enough to identify.
So I don't have a coin cleaning plan.
Page: of 76 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05