Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Seated Liberty Dollars

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
279 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2010  12:28 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add usc96 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am geting close to finishing a Dansco 7070. Where would you suggest looking for Seated Liberty dollars online? I've picked up most other others from my local coin club, from coin shops on business trips, and occasionally from ebay. At $300+ raw, I'm a little fearful of ebay, and I don't have a business trip planned, so I could use some suggestions for trusted online sources? Thanks.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3087 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2010  12:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Prethen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your best bet will be at a larger coin show. What grade range are you looking for? I have one ( PCGS XF45) I will be selling pretty soon.
Specializing in 2-3-20 cent pieces and 19th Century Proofs
Did someone mention 3CN?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2935 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2010  1:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add paleoguy45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have dealt with one eBay seller for both my final Seated Liberty Silver Dollar and a gorgeous 1853 Rays Half. When you throw in a seller's "enthusiasm" factor and lower the grade by one, I strongly recommend him. He is also acknowledged as a contributor to the Red Book. I don't know if we are allowed to endorse individual sellers here on the forum. Someone help me out on that... paleoguy
Valued Member
United States
279 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2010  1:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add usc96 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cool. Thanks to both. PM me any suggestions or even ones you want to sell?

I am a little sad that I am getting close to finishing the book. Not sure what to work on next? I started a set of PCGS slabbed Morgans (64 and 65) a while back. Maybe I can pick that up again.
Pillar of the Community
United States
511 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2010  4:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 3stooges to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Since there are so many cleaned, whizzed and damaged Seated dollars, I strongly recommend a certified coin. You can always crack it out of the slab and hang onto the grading service label.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8901 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2010  4:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Moe145 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like Harlan J Berk (HarlanJBerk.com) and The Executive Coin Company (Executivecoin.com).

Unfortunately Seated Liberty dollars are not cheap and there are a lot of forgeries.

But they are pretty!

Good luck!

Edited by Moe145
09/05/2010 4:34 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2935 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2010  4:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add paleoguy45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's the online store of the guy I've had really good luck with buying some high quality items at reasonable prices. As I said earlier, he's an annual contributor to the Red Book.

http://myworld.ebay.com/chuck_furjanic_inc/
Valued Member
United States
279 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2010  8:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add usc96 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just checked out the recommended sites. Maybe something like this:

http://www.executivecoin.com/p-1242...-appeal.aspx

Price is within reason. While I expect it has been cleaned at some point, it has not been scoured too badly like some you see. I trust it is real.

For a little more money, there is this one:

http://www.executivecoin.com/p-1242...-toning.aspx
Learn More...
United States
23520 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2010  9:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've done business with Executive Coin and do not hesitate to recommend them. That said, if you do not have a (free) membership at Heritage Auctions, acquire one as your best reference for historic sales of coins. They've archives, with pics, of 8000 Seated dollars alone. Great reference for both auction prices of nice coins, and high-resolution pictures of TPG grading.
Valued Member
United States
279 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2010  9:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add usc96 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's good to know. I'll check that out.

Of the two I posted, I'm liking the $510 over the $360. That being said, that's a lot for an non certified, non gold goin in my book. I guess I need to ask myself if it will hold it's value for 20 years?
Pillar of the Community
United States
8901 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2010  11:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Moe145 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I have bought coins from Chuck Furjanic on eBay as well. I can also recommend him!

Valued Member
United States
279 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2010  11:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add usc96 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think I have bought from him as well. His name sounded familiar. I'll have to double check my eBay history.
Valued Member
United States
279 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2010  11:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add usc96 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
United States
3087 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2010  1:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Prethen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
While both of those coins from Executive at a glance look nice for the grade, both have serious enough rim damage that they'd likely not grade if presented to the services. You should look for one with no such distractions.
Specializing in 2-3-20 cent pieces and 19th Century Proofs
Did someone mention 3CN?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2787 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2010  3:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SeatedNut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another resource is Dick Osburn ... the Godfather of Seated coinage. Dick accurately describes and grades his inventory. You won't find any flea market bargains, but you won't get gouged for an over-graded or problem coin. http://www.dickosburn.com/Inventory.cfm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3459 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2010  7:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would stick with either certified coins or a highly trusted seller when buying Seated dollars. They are expensive and there's a lot of counterfeit coins out there.

There's a number of good suggestions on this thread for online sellers. One not mentioned as well is nfccoins.com. There's also Heritage Auctions - coins.ha.com.

Good hunting! They are a couple of the tougher of coins in the 7070.

Ken
Edited by KenKat
09/06/2010 7:08 pm
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05