Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Dansco Albums vs 2x2's - which provide better protection?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
53 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2010  9:58 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ACWhammy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

I have a bunch of circulated sets of Jeffersons, Lincolns, Washington quarters, etc sitting in folders (I know, shoot me!) but I'm thinking of starting some MS or uncirculated sets and wanted to get advice if I should go with 2x2's or if Dansco is the way to go.

After browsing the forums I've noticed a lot of you are Dansco fans and the albums look pretty nice. Easy storage and easy display.

My concern is - how valuable of a coin would you put in a Dansco folder? At what point would you decide - "this is too valuable for a Dansco, I think I'll put it in a hard case or slab it." $100? $500? $1,000?

Thanks, all of your input is welcome

AC
United States
14 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2010  08:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wlwesq2010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would second this question. I don't have any coins worth a lot of money, but now is a good time to start developing better habits. I like the idea of an album because it's easier to view the coins as a group, but the 2x2s are definitely less expensive.

Also, on the 2x2s, the norm seems to be stapling them closed. Is there any disadvantage to using tape instead--seems to me the tape is just as secure, and there's no risk of damaging the coin or any other coins with a sharp staple point.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15733 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2010  10:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For one thing I'm a Whitman Album person and this forum is full of Dansco People. So any answers you get other than mine will be for Dansco, Dansco, DANSCO. Yes the world if being infiltrated by DANSCO PEOPLE. Also, note there are numerouse other manufacturers out there although those DANSCO PEOPLE don't recognise anything else. To late to stop them.
Regardless there is really no big difference in most Albums. Although my experience is that Dansco is of a much better quality than most others. Whitman lately has some problems with loose sheets over the coins so they tend to wonder out of the slots.

Quote:
I have a bunch of circulated sets of Jeffersons, Lincolns, Washington quarters, etc sitting in folders (I know, shoot me!)

And yes anyone using those folders over the age of 5 or 6 should be shot. They do more damage than good. Pressing in a coin with your thumb or some even use a rubber hammer.
2x2's are great except for how to close them. If you staple them, try this. Pick up one and put it to your mouth and blow on the stapled edge. You'll notice your breath goes right through meaning not to good for the coins. AND if you don't flatten the staples, likely to scratch other coins. Uses a clear tape such as Scotch clear tape. Also much easier to open and reseal.
All Albums are OK but those too will fail the blow in the end of the page method. And you really shouldn't tape those ends.
However, if you do you an Album, just place it in a gallon sized Zip Lock Plastic Bag. NO they do not contain PVC.
YES it does take a few minutes longer to open an Album but eventually it is well worth the time.
just carl
Learn More...
United States
44126 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2010  11:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just Carl is, as always, right on.

None of these options (Dansco album, Whitman album, or 2x2) are air tight. They will all allow the environment to affect your coins. So, keeping them in a good environment (low humidity, stable temperature) is important. The extra step of using resealable storage bags will provide the best protection.

As a testimonial, I have been using Dansco albums for almost 26 years now. Just Carl has been using Whitman albums for a lot longer than that. I have no regrets about my choice.
Valued Member
United States
53 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2010  2:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ACWhammy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok cool thanks, it sounds like buying an album and putting it into a ziploc bag will be my best bet. It beats sealing up each individual 2x2 with tape.

My other question - Do you store all your coins in albums or do you have a special preferance for handling the very rare coins? Like putting them in an airtite or going so far as to get them slabbed

Also, do you generally crack open the cases and open up the 2x2's when you buy a coin from a dealer?

Thanks again,

AC
Valued Member
United States
285 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2010  2:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add albumcollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great advice from just carl (I am one of the Dansco people he mentions lol)! I personally remove all my coins from 2x2's and other holders when I buy them and put them in my albums. I want to be able to enjoy my collection and seeing them in albums is much more pleasing than any other option (in my opinion). I guess if I had any truly amazing and extremely valuable coins I would not put them in an album, but my best coins are in the hundreds of dollars and not thousands.
Pillar of the Community
United States
521 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2010  3:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add weavus135 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm a 2x2 person and I have moved everything over to the self adhesive 2x2 by SuperSafe. These actually seem to be pretty air resistant. It is like a mini envelopment when the two clear sheets touch each other. Maybe not air tight but it seems pretty secure.
Learn More...
United States
44126 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2010  3:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My other question - Do you store all your coins in albums or do you have a special preferance for handling the very rare coins? Like putting them in an airtite or going so far as to get them slabbed
Currently, the rarest coins that I have are the 1932-D and 1932-S Washington quarters. They are in the Dansco. When I finally get the 1909-S VDB cent and 1916-D dime, they will also go in the Dansco. So I believe the answer to your question is that everything is in an album. Well, except for the hoard of copper cents and nickels.

Quote:
Also, do you generally crack open the cases and open up the 2x2's when you buy a coin from a dealer?
Obviously the 2x2 gets opened up. I have never bought a slabbed coin, but when I do (I say 'when' because of the above mentioned 1909-S VDB cent and 1916-D dime) it will be cracked and the coin will go into the album.
Valued Member
United States
53 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2010  7:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ACWhammy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys, I have a 1921 Mercury right now and it's in the 2x2 that I bought it in from the dealer. Based on your responses I feel safe putting it in a Dansco Album once I decide to pursue the full Mercury dime set.

But I think I may wait for silver to go down before buying any more dimes.

AC
Pillar of the Community
United States
1554 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2010  9:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1893S to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm sticking with my stapled 2x2's. They've worked for me since 1968. No problems,no change of coins appearence, etc. etc etc. And I'm talking some very nice Morgans, Peace, Barbers, Indians, Buffalos, and BU 50s, 60's, common coins. I just wouldn't waste my time worrying about preservation unless of high humidity or rough handling. How do you think the 100+ year old coins were kept back in the day, that we all want and buy today. Probably in safe deposit boxes or in just plain boxes and drawers and such.....Just my humble opinion and 40+ years of collecting.

Cheers from the Tundra,
Erik
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15733 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2010  3:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do not have any slabbed coins. I have purchased some in the past and crack out the coins for Albums. Primarily all valuable coins are in Albums. Presently have well over 100 Whitman Albums and almost all in Zip Lock Plasic bags. 2 of my Lincoln Cent Albums and 2 of my Mercury dime Albums are in doubled Zip Lock Bags due to almost all coins being some form of a MS grades. Lincoln Cent #1 is for sure all MS something or more including all coins. The only coins in 2x2's are the ones removed from a set when a better one is acquired and sits there until enough duplicates have accumulated to make another set.
I do have a 3 ringed binder full of those plastic pages for 20 2x2's full of proof only coins. For bulk storage of some coins I use those plastic rolls with the tops taped shut.
So far in well over 60 years of collecting coins I've never had a coin start to tarnish, corrode, stain, tone, etc.
(Must be the Whitman Stuff) or maybe not.
just carl
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05