Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Quarter Roll Searching

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 122
Valued Member
United States
303 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2019  3:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lionel90 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm new to searching quarters and I see something strange. I find a nice state or ABT quarter that looks great on the reverse but then I flip it over the Washington profile appears flat with little detail. The reverse is well struck but the obverse is not. Do the dies wear more for one side of the coin? Does it occur for other coins types as well?

The Douglas quarter (left coin) profile of Washington looks flat nd the Ohio quarter (right coin) profile of Washington looks better. The reverse details are sharp on the Douglas quarter. Thanks for your opinions.

Edited by Lionel90
01/05/2019 4:21 pm
Learn More...
United States
76302 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2019  11:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They changed Washington's head for the ATB and they do indeed have less detail.
Valued Member
United States
303 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2019  05:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lionel90 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks jbuck
Pillar of the Community
United States
508 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2019  1:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wulffy11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They claim it to be a more natural looking profile of George Washington but I agree with jbuck mentioning the lack of detail. The low relief of the 1999-2009 quarter got even lower nine years ago when the America the Beautiful series started up. The upside is you can tell if its a State Quarter or national park from just the obverse side. That was beneficial to me when looking for the National Parks quarters back when they were hard to find in circulation.
Learn More...
United States
76302 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2019  12:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The upside is you can tell if its a State Quarter or national park from just the obverse side.
The lemonade from the lemons.
Pillar of the Community
United States
753 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2019  12:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ty88ty2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The upside is you can tell if its a State Quarter or national park from just the obverse side.

I thought I was crazy. I've looked at enough quarters now that I've been able to pick out state and ATB from the bust side as well!
Lincoln Cents - 2 holes; 1909SVDB/1914D / Indian Head cents - 14 Holes / Jefferson nickels - Done / Buffalo nickels - 10 Holes / V nickels - 6 holes / Shield nickels - 5 Holes / Roosevelt dimes - Done / Mercury dimes - 2 Holes; 1916D/1921P / Washington quarters - 8 holes / Standing Liberty quarters - 10 Holes / Barber quarters - 34 Holes / Kennedy halves - 7 Holes / Walking Liberty halves - 30 Holes / Franklin halves - 18 Holes
Other works in progress - 7070 / Canadian Cents / Canadian Nickels / SBA & SAC Dollars / Pres Dollars
Valued Member
United States
396 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2019  05:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pancake to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Last Thursday, I went to a chase bank I brought for $20 Quarters CWR but I founds a 1968 Canadian 50% Silver Quarters.
1968 Canadian 50% Silver Quarters!!

HAPPY HUNTING!
Learn More...
United States
76302 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2019  10:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Last Thursday, I went to a chase bank I brought for $20 Quarters CWR but I founds a 1968 Canadian 50% Silver Quarters.
1968 Canadian 50% Silver Quarters!!
Excellent!
Valued Member
United States
59 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2019  09:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nics-r-good to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Last week I got 3 rolls of quarters from the bank. I found 2 1964 silver quarters in them.
My wife was at work when a co-worker was trying to get a coke from a machine. One of her quarters would simply drop through the machine into the coin return slot. Frustrated, she asked my wife if she had a different quarter to try. My wife gave her one, then looked at the traded one. It was a 1941 silver. Great trade!
Silver is still out there!
Learn More...
United States
76302 Posts
Valued Member
424 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2019  3:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TJLang to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great trade
Valued Member
United States
214 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2019  6:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinBuffalo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure if this counts as a quarter roll search, but I was about to open a roll of quarters when I saw this sitting on top of the quarter tray in my till today. Only the 2nd silver quarter I've found in a year Truly rare as hen's teeth, as they say. The first one I found by sound, this one I found by its look. The color certainly stands out when in a pile of clad.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
24020 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2019  7:13 pm  Show Profile   Check Errers and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
CoinBuffalo, nice find and congratulations!
More information about Die Deterioration? http://goccf.com/t/317950
Retired U.S. Mint Coin Die Set information. http://goccf.com/t/302961
1973 D Lincoln Memorial cent With Recurring Die Subsidence Error Information. http://goccf.com/t/304624
Machine Doubling tutorial. http://goccf.com/t/332421
Die states progression on coins. Scroll down, so you can see the different die state progressions. http://goccf.com/t/325638
Die Deterioration Doubling Tutorial. http://goccf.com/t/336470
Valued Member
424 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2019  8:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TJLang to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In all the rolls Ive cracked open and theres been alot.
I have yet to find any silver in one.
I did find a 1964 quater in a coinstar reject tray and the wife handed me one once.
Learn More...
United States
76302 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2019  11:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Not sure if this counts as a quarter roll search, but I was about to open a roll of quarters when I saw this sitting on top of the quarter tray in my till today.
It counts. Nice find!
Page: of 122 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.12 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05