Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1977 D Silver Half - Call Me Crazy!

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 297 / Views: 51,607Next Topic
Page: of 20
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3992 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2010  02:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good point someone made that the coin might be silver plated lots of people trying to pass off fakes in this day and age.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16643 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2010  4:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I suggested the tissue test back on page 1 and it has been repeated several times since then. Come on, it takes just a few seconds and cost nothing. Do the test and let us know the results.

Quote:
1) Would there be a 40% planchet left over in Denver from '76? Weren't all the 40% bicentennial halves minted in San Francisco?

Yes they were all struck in San Francisco, but planchets deemed unfit at San Francansco are shipped to Denver for business strike production. The silver planchets are not supposed to be shipped but apparently some 40% planchets were accidently shipped in 1974 and the end of 1976.

What bothers me about this is that all of the 40% silver bicentennial coins were struck in 1975. So how did the silver planchets get to Denver in 1977?
Gary Schmidt
Valued Member
United States
463 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2010  4:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bryan1234 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"What bothers me about this is that all of the 40% silver bicentennial coins were struck in 1975. So how did the silver planchets get to Denver in 1977?"

Thats a great thought to consider, you ever wounder if they purposely make these mistakes
Pillar of the Community
United States
757 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2010  5:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oblakavshtanax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
yeah I agree with condor...this is getting annoying. you're not stupid, so give us some real up close stuff to judge the outer ring by, or do the tissue test. other way, it shouldn't take this long to figure it out.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8842 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2010  5:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The answer to that 1975/1977 question would be that " a few " 1977's were struck in 40% silver.
They struck silver 40% from 1975 through 1976. Maybe some silver blanks were hung up someplace in the minting process and got struck.
Where would they get hung up? I suppose anywhere from the time the blanks are punched out of the strips until they are fed into the dies. I am sure there are several places in bins and along the line that some could get stuck or left behind undetected between minting.
Also, maybe some mint employees deliberately introduced some wrong metal planchets into the process.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8842 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2010  6:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have searched tens of thousands of half dollars, found over 1750 silver ones

and

Quote:
I have only been in the Coin World for about ten months

These are amazing numbers. The least numbers in tens of thousands would be arrived at one half in every 57 is silver. figuring 10 x 10,000
And another thing I wonder is where you find the time to go through 10,000 half dollars a month?

I have found silver clad half dollars in rolls. Sometimes they look more like a 1964 or earlier half from looking at the edge, other times I can see a bit of a discolored uneven layer in there on the edge but it never looked anything like copper to me.

On the other hand, I have found some clad coins that are obviously clad by looking at the obverse and reverse surfaces but for some reason once in awhile the layer of copper is covered by the same metal that is on the obverse and reverse. I find this more often on dimes, maybe because they are thinner the copper layer can be hidden.

If the original poster is so convinced, it would only make sense to have it graded and authenticated by one of the big three grading services and I hope we get to see the results here.

I don't doubt it either way. It could happen.
If I had one, I would probably give it a real quick splash through E-Zest coin cleaner and rinse. I could see the difference in a silver half that way.
My favorite album!
Pillar of the Community
United States
929 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2010  7:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mfhorn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Searching 10,000 halves a month is not impossible. I do 2 boxes a week (2000) and sometimes more. I'm sure there are others on CC who search far more.

If this is a silver clad 1977-D, then it should be obvious to one who looks at this many halves. The Red Book says there are (were) '71-D and '77-D silver clads struck in error. I've been looking for more than 3 years at halves, and haven't seen one that even comes close, YET!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1027 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2010  8:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add clairhardesty to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Using density as the test, a silver half should displace 1.20 cubic centimeters of water and a clad coin 1.27 cubic centimeters, assuming nominal weights.
Valued Member
United States
182 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2010  10:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hybes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The tissue test comes back as silver, but the coin still may be silver plated. I am just going to send it in to be graded. I am sick of the suspense as well.

Coppertop, to accuse me of dragging out the thread is simply moronic. I am not going to drop it on my floor, if you can't hear the difference in the video, either leave the thread or just be patient til we find an answer.

Being a newbie to coin grading, what is the best place to send it in to be graded? How do I send it and what info should I include? Thanks for all your responses, have a happy thanksgiving!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3992 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2010  10:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ANACS is probably your most cost effective bet for a reputable third party grader. Here is a link to their submission form and instructions:

http://www.anacs.com/contentPages/S...ionForm.aspx

Unlike some of the other services, no membership is required to submit
Learn More...
United States
87597 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2010  10:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
They struck silver 40% from 1975 through 1976.
As Conder said, all of the 40% silver collector coins, proof and uncirculated, were minted in 1975. Only the Cu-Ni clad bicentennial coins were minted both years.

The confusion may be that they were sold both years; and if I recall correctly, well into the later part of the 1970's.
Pillar of the Community
United States
958 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2010  04:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coppertop5150 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
no one asked you to drop in on th floor.

take it to solid surface hold it up about 2 inches let it tap the surface
it it chimes it might be 40% if it clunks its clad

The coin is circulated a tap on the edge is not going to damage it.

Your mistaking the drop test for some harsh treatment of the coin , all you want to do is hear the sound it makes, No one is asking you to stand an drop it a few feet from the floor.

Im saying it prob is clad
1 every thread on the internet realted to this subject has turned out to be clad silver plated or something of the sort
2 you wont film a simple test
3 clad coins dont always show the copper on the edges
4 the coin simply looks clad
Valued Member
United States
182 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2010  07:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hybes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am not disagreeing with you that odds are it is a funny looking and sounding cu-ni coin, but take your attitude somewhere else. I am going to send it in to be graded so that will answer all our questions. I have no reason to do that garbage you are accousing me of its not like I get paid on the length of the thread or faking a rare error coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
757 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2010  09:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oblakavshtanax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i agree with coppertop. you might have a screw loose.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8842 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2010  09:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hope it is a silver clad 1977 D for you hybes.
That would be neat. Just stay cool, I have seen this scenario a few times on here before with different coins and topics. The squeaky wheel will get the grease.
My favorite album!
Page: of 20 Previous TopicReplies: 297 / Views: 51,607Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05