Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

20 Cents, 1919 - Italy (Help Needed With Strange Error)  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Netherlands
459 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2010  11:15 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Kingz to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I again bought several older world coins, and I was pleasantly surprised when I wanted to take pictures for my database. When I checked the on the PC it was very obvious that one of the coins appeared to have a strange error. I made some zoomed in shots, and hopefully someone can clear things up for me... Could this be a doubble (weak) strike? However, it also appears that it might have been a different coin? But it does look similair to these kind of coins.. ANyways, here are the pics... So please help me identify what might have happened here!

Pillar of the Community
United States
969 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2010  12:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MINT_MARQ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kingz,

Not sure if this is really considered an error....Since it was done on purpose.

During the war there was a shortage of metals, including copper-nickel. So Italy decided to use older already minted 1894-1895 coins as planchets to strike their new 20 centesimi 1918-1919. The result is coins, with parts of the old coin showing.

Pretty cool numismatic history for your collection though.

Ken
Valued Member
Netherlands
459 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2010  12:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kingz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ooh cool... so it's basicly a restrike, or overstrike like they do with dates pretty often?!
That is pretty iteresting indeed, I did not know they did this with the entire coin.

Thanks for the information Mint Marq, really clear info!
Learn More...
Australia
12696 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2010  01:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Ooh cool... so it's basicly a restrike, or overstrike like they do with dates pretty often?!

The technical term is an "overstrike", not a "restrike", but it's not the same as what they "do with dates pretty often" - that's what's known as an overdate. The words are similar but the causes are completely different. An overdate is where the die with an old date is edited to carve a new date onto it; overdated coins were struck only the once from a blank planchet, not an older coin. An overstrike is where the coin is struck once, then sometime later is struck a second time using a completely different pair of dies.

Other series that are famous for overstrikes are Bank of England 1804 dollars and Brazilian 960 reis of the early 1800s. As a general rule, if the original coin or "undertype" is fully identifiable, it does add a little extra value than if only random unidentified remnants of the older coin are visible. In this case, the "4" from 1894 is readily apparent in your pics, below the "old 9" inside the colour-hatching on the shield, so I'd class yours as identifiable.

Here's what the 1894-5 20c looks like. I have a 1919 20c but there's only a faint hint of the old "20" on the reverse. Not identifiable.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Valued Member
Netherlands
459 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2011  2:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kingz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for that information! I also have one from 1918, don't have a picture from the other side though... but you can see it's a different coin than the one above, because they didn't care obviously which was obverse and reverse before minting them again :)

Edited by Kingz
07/16/2011 2:17 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05