Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Why you should collect Newfoundland coins.

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16
Learn More...
Canada
8094 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2013  10:47 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Say it aint so SPP!

It ain't so fredor! I just could not part with my NFLD cents. In fact, here is a recent acquisition. I think this is an undervalued coin in this grade, only four are finer. It is an older PCGS holder, and the photos reflect the scratches on the slab - but, having hunted around a fair bit, this one is pretty accurately graded, and I like the colour.

"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Valued Member
Canada
81 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2013  11:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ukee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
awesome coin!, glad to see the topic revived.

I love rare "quality" coins... don't have to be "Top" coin, I think all MS Canadian coins are Rare.

fact.

Valued Member
Canada
140 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2013  12:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fredor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes! I like that even if I had unlimited cash I couldn't get a perfect collection of NFLD coins as the coins just don't exist.
Valued Member
Canada
190 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2013  2:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cameron93 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I'm gonna' play "devil's advocate" for a minute here... so please don't shoot me, I'm just the piano player... :)

Not trying to be negative in any way... but just adding some sober thought into the conversation...

I like the Newfoundland series of coins, but as an "investment" I think they might be somewhat risky... there's just as much or more possibility of a "reverse correction" of price in the future as a there is that Newf coins will increase in value relative to Canadian coins...

Here's a possible reason "why not to collect Newfoundland coins" (if your motivation is investment related)... and why Newf coin series may not actually be "undervalued", but may in fact be overvalued...

There may be a logical reason why even though the Newf coin series has very low mintage that prices remain relatively low... it's of course called "supply & demand"... and there may be an obvious reason why demand for the series is weak...

And while we're discussing price values, it has been my observation over past 5 years, that when comparing actual dollar value sales on eBay and at coin shows with the "Trends" listed values for Canada coins and for Newfoundland series coins... the listed Newf prices are out of line with real dollar sales by an average of 50% above real market sales...

Anyhow, think about the logic of the following idea...

Although there is a segment of the coin collecting population who are world coin collectors and have a variety of interests... I would offer that if you think about reasons for collecting, the majority of collectors would relate back to the "coins of our youth"... and that is the coinage we are most drawn to collecting...

The population of Newfoundland & Labrador has always been relatively small... which results in a relatively small amount of older Newfoundlanders out there to be drawn to collecting the coins of their youth...

And given that Newf coins stopped being produced over 60 years ago, the past couple of generations of kids from Newfoundland haven't grown up exposed to Newf coin series being "the coins of their youth"...

Also, for decades now Newfoundland has unfortunately been experiencing an "outmigration" of the population due to economic conditions... with the population declining there will be even fewer older Newfoundlanders in the future who might become interested in collecting the " Heritage" coin series...

Which may further reduce the interest and demand for Newf coins... causing values to decrease as well...

cameron93

Bedrock of the Community
Canada
10485 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2013  4:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SHAFTA9a to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, Cameron.. somewhat fairly good logic, we are Newfoundland coin collectors and have a few completed series, our thinking is, if the Newfoundland coins have low mintage's and there isn't that many collectors picking them up, wouldn't you think that the value of these would increase over the years?

Also, the trick is, to pick up coins that are low in price now and hoping that they will increase in value.

But, then again it really doesn't matter if they increase or not... we love the NFLD coins..... and probably wont sell anyway..

True North
Valued Member
Canada
190 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2013  5:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cameron93 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Hi Shafta,

Totally agree that in theory we all hope to buy something at a low price and eventually see that asset increase in value... and obviously none of us has a crystal ball...

But there are predictable market forces based on supply and demand... I was just trying to pose a counter-balance to the discussion in regards to why in the long term Newf coins "might not" increase in value...

As you say, not a big deal if you're collecting just for the love of the coin... but could be a problem if one was speculating and buying for investment based on the idea that because few were made they will someday become more valuable than they are today...

Even though a coin or a series of coins might be limited in its production, there still has to be a demand to cause increase in value...

I guess one way to express it could be... if there are only 100 coins of a particular kind in existence and only 10 collectors are keen on acquiring one of them, the demand is low and as such the prices will be low... when the time comes that only 5 collectors are interested in acquiring one of the 100 coins, then the value will decrease accordingly...

As comparison, if there are 10,000 coins of a particular kind in existence and 20,000 collectors are keen on acquiring one of them, the demand is higher than supply and as such the prices will increase...

Glad to hear that you're not going to part with your Newf coins though... that means less competition for me 'cause I'm selling all of mine... :)

Best Wishes for a Happy & Prosperous New Year!

cameron93

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2106 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2013  6:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add doubleeagle59 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like Newfoundland coins but I don't have much hope for their monetary appreciation.

I realize the mintage numbers are low, but there just has never been the demand.

For over 30 years now, I've been hearing coin dealers and collectors say "wait till next year, these Newfy coins are going to go way up in price".
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1554 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2013  6:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add glenzy1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you love Collecting coins, regardless of what your interest may be, investment should be the last thing on your mind. If investment is what's worrying you about your coins, then you'll never enjoy the Hobby!

Glenn
Valued Member
Canada
140 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2013  6:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fredor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was typing something very similar. My mutual funds are making far more than my coins ever will.
Pillar of the Community
1844 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2013  8:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add artdio to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
well I guess its all in who's looking and how you sell them..Personally I have owned the series on several occasions and sold 3 complete sets and I must say mad way way more than I paid.... But I still cant turn down a nice Newf coin...

and The gold well they are in their own class and just look at the selling prices and whats available out there

I remember just a short while ago you could pickk them up in AU for 350 to 500 depending on the year of course... Now your lucky to find any under the 800 mark.....unless your at te right place right time
Pillar of the Community
Canada
634 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2013  11:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MrCanada to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like I started collecting Provincial coins just over a year ago and am almost complete. I have most varieties[not all portrait types]about 20 coins left.Fun set to collect can't wait to finish it.
Learn More...
Canada
8094 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2013  12:13 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Golf used to be my hobby. I think the value and resale of my NFLD coins is greatly improved compared to my previous hobby...

I collect nice coins, because I like them. NFLD coins appeal to me... especially mint state red cents. I don't intend to sell for profit, I'll sell them because either I have to, or if I no longer love them.
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1581 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2013  12:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dialog_gvf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

For over 30 years now, I've been hearing coin dealers and collectors say "wait till next year, these Newfy coins are going to go way up in price".

A key is getting more people interested, and I think right now, right here, there is more interest being expressed than I remember.

Also, one possible source is Newfoundlanders rediscovering their own history and shifting some of that future oil money into Newfoundland coins.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
815 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2013  04:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Anjohl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I doubt Newfoundland coins will ever appreciate for the same reasons that Newfoundland itself is not appreciated.
Edited by Anjohl
01/21/2013 04:10 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1554 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2013  05:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add glenzy1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you "imagine" what would happen to Nfld. coinage in trends if everyone who collected Canadian coins stopped for just one year buying Canadian coins. Then turned all their resources & attention towards buying Nfld. coinage!

Glenn
Page: of 16 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.76 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05