Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Why you should collect Newfoundland coins.

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7178 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2014  11:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
jerry, I can't afford higher grade coins so am unaware of grade rarities.Can you please share the reverse of your coin and the ICCS grade?

"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Valued Member
Canada
140 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2014  11:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fredor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a photo of a higher resolution coin with the dots variety. I believe I have this in EF40

Valued Member
Canada
140 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2014  11:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fredor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Full size images:

Pillar of the Community
Canada
576 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2014  09:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Liverpool to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Super pictures and a great education. Many thanks.
Liverpool.
Valued Member
Canada
144 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2014  1:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Universalcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So I found this in a bag of old NFLDs I was going through. Forgive the shoddy photography. Is this an up-and-coming variety? The documentation regarding pricing in the various sources has been rather spotty -- CCN Trends has not had a price for this listed until fairly recently, and the last issue still has it wildly over either coinsandcanada.com's or Charlton's listings.

Simultaneously one of my nicest and most heartbreaking finds.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
559 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2014  01:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Electrum to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Newfoundland coins are very visually appealing - especially 20 cent decimal.
Valued Member
Canada
90 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2014  2:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jerry to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mine was a mere ICCS EF-45 but Fredor's is a "stunner"...never seen one that high in that variety..!!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
576 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2014  4:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Liverpool to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's my Newfoundland 50 cents and 20 cents, The top picture is the other side of the bottom picture, Not great at up loading yet.
cheers all
Liverpool

Valued Member
United States
134 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2014  5:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PlatinumDuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So did this Newfoundland book that was talked about at various points in this thread ever come out? If not, what are some good reference books on Newfoundland coins?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
661 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2014  7:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tripoli to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is a reference book forthcoming about newfie gold, but I don't know any specifics.
Valued Member
Canada
140 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2014  9:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fredor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm actually uploading the FINAL version right now to the author (Barry Borsellino). I've been doing the layout on it. It's been a many year project for the Barry. Stay tuned cause I'll definitely post the details of it here. I think he's going to do a ultra HD PDF version as well as printed book versions. Some details to be worked out in the mean time.

Just a few notes.

This is not a price guide, this is a variety guide. We will have in depth population reports of coins we've seen over the years and the chances of getting each variety.

Also this is not every newfoundland coin. The book is well over 450 pages and there is probably only 70% of all dates.
Valued Member
United States
380 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2015  07:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add justanothercoinaddict to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, to this point I have resisted getting into Newfoundland coins. But, I just located a brand-new Whitman Newfoundland Type album on eBay for a mere twenty bucks, so I'm going to get into them at least that much for starters.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3049 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2015  08:19 am  Show Profile   Check AgCoinAu's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add AgCoinAu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would also recommend the variety book that's available in PDF at the moment.... I certainly have enjoyed going through it with my coins! The pictures are great (the ability to zoom in is fantastic) and the explanation is very straight forward
R.C.N.A. #23833
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
513 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2015  12:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Garoyn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Admittedly, I have not yet read through this entire thread, but has anybody identified a decent reference book for the Newfoundland coinage? I gotta admit, my interest is tickled.

Edit: ah, I see said the blind man as I look on the last page of this thread {grin}
Edited by Garoyn
05/20/2015 12:25 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3049 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2015  2:05 pm  Show Profile   Check AgCoinAu's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add AgCoinAu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Garoyn: I really hope you do get interested in Newfie and maritime coinage... all I can say is for the past year I've been getting more and more interested in this series and now it has become the focus of where I like to collect.

The varieties DVD talked about in this thread really has exponentially increased my joy of collecting this series as it really drives you to take a really good look at the coins.

Hopefully we'll see a few of your posts/pics on here with some new aquisitions!
R.C.N.A. #23833
Page: of 16 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.01 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05