Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Why you should collect Newfoundland coins.

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16
Valued Member
Canada
140 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2011  7:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fredor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, right now I'm currently recovering from a few purchases. So the next few months are looking very dismal for buying anything new. I would love to finish my EF half collection though...
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7178 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2011  11:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful 50cents there fredor
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1580 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2011  5:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dialog_gvf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I'm looking for a high grade 1896 20c Obv. 1 Small 96 to complete my 20 cent collection.

I'm currently making do with a filler, where someone decided to re-engrave the hairlines themselves. It looks oddly nice from a distance.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1580 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2011  6:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dialog_gvf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
> I am saddened that I do not collect Newfoundland coins. I don't know what it is, but I can't seem to get attracted to Nfld. Coinage and believe me, I've tried hard!

glenzy1: I was the same way for MANY, years. But, about ten years ago I suddenly fell in love with the New Brunswick and Nova Scotia coppers and that lead me into Newfoundland. I think that Victoria obverse is amazing. And, these coins can have a burgundy patina that is just beautiful.

At some point, I'm hoping that the oil money will lead to a Heritage induced pop in interest in these beautiful coins. They deserve to be passionately collected.

It was like being a kid again, and just starting out. Learning about the history, varieties, etc. Lots of fun.

Valued Member
Canada
140 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2011  9:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fredor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm looking for a high grade 1896 20c Obv. 1 Small 96 to complete my 20 cent collection.

I'm currently making do with a filler, where someone decided to re-engrave the hairlines themselves. It looks oddly nice from a distance.

I don't know if there is small 96 obverse 1 that actually exists. If they do they are certainly worth a lot more than trends says. Do you have a picture of the worn down one you mentioned? As far as I know there is only 2 varieties.
Obverse 1 Large 96
Obverse 2 Small 96.
There are width varieties in those.. Please post a picture of the one you have because I have looked through hundreds of 1896 20 cent pieces looking for the varieties that charlton lists.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1554 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2011  08:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add glenzy1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think we should all start collecting Newfoundland coins. These are my reasons to start:
>unbelievably LOW mintages according to World standards.
>limited amount of coins per series, making it easy to collect in the highest grades possible.
>prices to acquire high grade Certified coins are relatively very inexpensive compared to Canadian counterpart. As a matter of fact looking at my 1994 Charlton Cat. the Trend prices are the same 17 years ago for most Nfld coin as they are today!

Glenn
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1733 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2011  10:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ugly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like to review the technical aspects post 1917 but the series holds no sentiment for me. There are many foreign countries and colonies no longer in existence with low mintages and they show a similar lack of uptake/interest.

Everything that was said about just a tiny fraction of people collecting them resulting in driven up prices is true however so picking a few nice samples on speculation might be the thing to do ... and hey if Newfoundland and Labrador ever separate from Canada, imagine what they'd be worth then.

So here's the plan, we'll form a corporation and buy all the mint state and AU samples we can acquire and then split into small teams that move to Newfoundland and Labrador in order to foment rebellion. When the referendum passes we'll release a few coins at a time for ludicrous prices.
Valued Member
Canada
371 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2011  12:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kitkat1858 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm with Ugly ... sounds like an excellent idea. LOL
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1372 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2011  1:13 pm  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How many Newf collectors have all 3 1873 5 cents? Could y'all help me putting a value on the obv. 1 in say F 15 scratched (ICCS) TIA for any responses.
Valued Member
Canada
371 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2011  1:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kitkat1858 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nickelsguy: Obtaining all 3 1873 5 cents is no easy task. Could you post pictures of your obv. 1 1873 5 cent coin?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1372 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2011  2:07 pm  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the best I can do right now. Pic is through ICCS holder. Much nicer in hand.....and I have all 3. My 73H being the nicest.

Edited by nickelsguy
07/12/2011 2:08 pm
Valued Member
Canada
371 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2011  2:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kitkat1858 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice find! The 1873 obv. 1 is the hardest coin of the trio to find in decent grades like F-12 or F-15. Most people were unaware of this until a few years ago when the variety was widely publicized.
I would estimate your coin to be worth around $1000.00; altough, that is a very rough estimate.

What grade are your 1873H and 1873 obv. 2?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1372 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2011  2:30 pm  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1873H ICCS higher than VF 20 Obv. 2 f 12
Valued Member
Canada
371 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2011  2:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kitkat1858 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a pretty decent set you've got there... thanks for sharing:)
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1372 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2011  2:42 pm  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am getting out of coins....here is a real tough coin.....marks are on the ICCS flip....NB L6

Page: of 16 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05