Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

5 Ounce America The Beautiful National Park Silver Quarters

First page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 865 / Views: 69,387Next Topic
Page: of 58
Pillar of the Community
United States
762 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2011  1:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captainkurt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They really cant charge too much more then they let the bullion people sell them for which was like 10% over spot if I remember correctly. Can you imagine the uproar from the bullion people if the were to 'profiteer' from there own release! Now they will have a 'special finish' and a fancy box so I could be all wrong.
Valued Member
United States
442 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2011  7:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add parkquarters to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ebay auction prices are falling fast on these 2010 pucks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...EjRbbbw%253D

I read on PCGS forum from a poster that the 2010 sets will always command a higher premium because the 2011 sets will have a higher mintage than the 2010 sets

Bedrock of the Community
United States
16665 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2011  11:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
They really cant charge too much more then they let the bullion people sell them for which was like 10% over spot if I remember correctly.

Sure they can. Like I said look at the percentage mark up of the W unc or the proof ASE's over the bullion versions that the distributors sell. The mint gets that mark up because they are "collectors" version and not just bullion. Same thing goes for the "collectors" version of the hockey pucks.
Gary Schmidt
Valued Member
United States
183 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2011  12:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverFossil64 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
mint usually seems to have high mark ups on everything they sell directly. anyone know how many collectors sets they will make for 2010 coins? I think it was 33,000 sets of bullion ones.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4000 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2011  12:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Scooby Due to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I finally got to see them first hand at the F.U.N. show and I wasn't impressed. They are way too gawdy. I won't be collecting them, especially at those prices.

The ones that I seen where in NGC holders and were the size of a cherrypicker's guide! How in the world would you store them?
Valued Member
United States
442 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2011  2:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add parkquarters to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Two more ap's too begin sales shortly !

A-Mark Precious Metals

http://www.buyamericathebeautifulnow.com/

Coins-N-Things

http://atb.cntofma.com/

Fidelitrade

http://www.cointalk.com/attachment....d=1294273525

Out of the mints nine authorized purchasers how many of them havent even begun sales yet ?
Pillar of the Community
United States
9334 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2011  11:37 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks parkquarters. A-Mark Precious Metals is starting online sales on Tuesday, 01/18/2011, at 10:00am PT.

http://www.amark.com/
ANA #R3154474
Valued Member
United States
442 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2011  12:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add parkquarters to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A-Mark Precious Metals (Los Angeles) Gold, Silver, Platinum
Coins 'N Things (Massachusetts) Gold, Silver, Platinum
MTB (New York) Gold, Silver Platinum
Scotia Mocatta (New York) Gold, Silver, Platinum
American Precious Metals Exchange, Inc. (Oklahaoma) Silver
Dillon Gage Incorporated of Dallas (Texas) Silver
Prudential Securities Inc. (New York) Gold, Silver, Platinum
The Gold Center (Illinois) Silver
Jack Hunt Coin Broker (New York) Silver
Commerzbank (New York) Gold, Silver
Fidelitrade (Delaware) Silver

Quote:
Not Selling

Commerzbank (New York) Gold, Silver
Scotia Mocatta (New York) Gold, Silver, Platinum

http://www.coinzine.net/2010/12/fir...-purchasers/

http://mintnewsblog.blogspot.com/20...er-list.html

Pillar of the Community
United States
762 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2011  5:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captainkurt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is really interesting. I feel like it's a horse race now. Who can get them in their hands the fastest and onto ebay first before the price drops!
Valued Member
United States
442 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2011  11:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add parkquarters to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Check the edge lettering before you send yours in to be graded there was a report of someone finding a variety error that one coin will trump all others in value !
Valued Member
United States
171 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2011  01:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bluemule31 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't have a problem with the prices they are fetching. I do, however, take exception to the "monopoly" that these AP's have on the mint. What if the mint actually thought about turning a profit and sold directly to the public? They could actually become (gulp) a profitable and efficient government entity!
Pillar of the Community
United States
762 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2011  12:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captainkurt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They are already the only government agency that turns a profit and they are already planning on releasing collector versions to the public so...your fears have been realized bluemule!
Valued Member
United States
442 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2011  1:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add parkquarters to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I never heard a word that prudential ever started sales and there voice mail says that all sales will be suspended indefinitely

I never heard a word that dillon gage ever started sales and his web- site says potentially sold out

Whats up with that ?

New info
http://www.coinzine.net/2011/01/mos...center-more/

http://coins.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_..._sop=16&ht=0

Learn More...
United States
14454 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2011  1:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The ones that I seen where in NGC holders and were the size of a cherrypicker's guide! How in the world would you store them?

For those of you that hasn't seen them, here is a picture from CoinWorld that shows just how big they are

Bedrock of the Community
United States
16665 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2011  2:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I do, however, take exception to the "monopoly" that these AP's have on the mint. What if the mint actually thought about turning a profit and sold directly to the public?

The AP's wer set up back in 1986 for selling the bullion eagles. Thy wanted the coins to have the widest possible distribution and the lowest possible cost. The idea of trying the have the mint handle the hundreds of thousands of orders with th constantly changing prices would have been a nightmare. (Don't believe me look at the 1 oz and 1/2 oz gold arts medallions the mint sold from 1980 - 1984. It was horrible.) And anyone who wants to become an AP may do so, all you have to do is meet the requirements.

As for the AP's having a monopoly on the hockey pucks, th mint had nothing to do with that. It was written into the law that the AP's would do the distribution. One of the things that caused problems was the mint dragging their feet on the project, and then their last minute decision to divert half the first years production into the "collectors" version that they could sell at a high profit (without legal authorization in my opinion.) So the high price of these sets is BECAUSE "the mint actually thought about turning a profit and sold directly to the public".
Gary Schmidt
Page: of 58 Previous TopicReplies: 865 / Views: 69,387Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.86 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05