Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1866 3 Cent

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
3640 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2011  8:13 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Indian1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Coin seems to have a lot going on with it.
Obv. rim cud, clash around neck/throat area and under hair ribbon as well as above date just below neckline, rev. die cracks etc.
Reverse wreath seems to photograde @ EF but the numerals do not match that. Obv. seems much better than F15 but not
VF30. These images are scans and are showing red like specks
for some reason that are not even showing up much on the coin. Just some tiny specks of darker dirt etc. Strange coin. Thanks.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1691 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2011  8:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add atlashealth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with die cracks and rim cud it's probably genuine
however surface looks like it was sandblasted and corroded
NET GRADE genuine with environmental damage
Pillar of the Community
United States
778 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2011  8:47 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just posted a coin with some of the same problems last night. The loss of detail on both the obverse and reverse along with the look of the surface could be the result of the clash. I'm not sure about the spots. I'd love to see the coin in person.

The clash on the coin I posted covers both sides and caused the reverse die to shatter. Take a look at my post and see what you think. http://goccf.com/t/91238 I know it's hard to see on the photos I have, but you can see the shadow of the date on the reverse, just like you can see the shadow of the ribbon on the obverse.
"For the Mint is dark and full of Errors!" -- Lord Benton

Pillar of the Community
United States
3640 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2011  8:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Indian1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just noticed the rev. clash. All over the place.
Sandblasted ? That's a new one :)
Doubt that there would be much of a coin left if that was done. Some of the specks came off when gently wiped. But there is some porosity visible. I forgot that this was nickel.
Pretty common look.
Detail net grade of what ? In between F15 and VF30 ? or for the reverse VF30 to EF40 ?

Pillar of the Community
United States
817 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2011  07:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Las_Vegas_Larry to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That one looks better than most of mine.
Rest in Peace
United States
4849 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2011  10:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnny54321 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would say it has XF detail with a weak strike in certain areas and some surface issues.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1348 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2011  12:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add w1a9c8k5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF
Pillar of the Community
United States
1304 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2011  9:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add busthalf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know for sure, but are the die cracks an rim cud marks, die clashes.
I may be reading more into this than there is.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3640 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2011  10:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Indian1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, obv. cud on rim @ 7:00 o'clock, Clashes pretty obvious on both obv. and rev. Obv. by throat, under neckline, below hair ribbon and down to right of hair locks. Rev., clash to left of 1st 1 and then to the right of the 3rd 1, 2 ea. die cracks running into denticles. Close to 3 and then 6 o'clock.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05