Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

The New $100 Polymer Money

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 5,290Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Canada
153 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2011  5:29 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Toronto1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
$100 -> November 2011
$50 -> March 2012
Other denominations will be brought in gradually up until the end of 2013

Valued Member
Canada
153 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2011  5:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Toronto1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
$100: Canadians have long been at the frontiers of medical research and as a result have helped to save millions of lives worldwide. Notable Canadian contributions include pioneering the use of insulin to treat diabetes, DNA and genetic research, the invention of the pacemaker, and the first hospital-to-hospital robot-assisted surgery. (Portrait: Sir Robert L. Borden, Prime Minister, 1911--20)

$50: CCGS Amundsen, Research Icebreaker: The vastness and splendour of Canada's northern frontier have helped to shape our cultural identity. The icebreaker plays an important role in the North, keeping Canada's historic passages open, undertaking marine search and rescue, supporting isolated communities, and participating in international environmental research. The CCGS Amundsen helps Canada--the nation with the world's longest stretch of Arctic coastline--to remain at the leading edge of Arctic research, providing the world's oceanographers, geologists and ecologists with unparalleled access to the North. (Portrait: William Lyon Mackenzie King, Prime Minister, 1921--30 and 1935--48)

$20: The Canadian National Vimy Memorial -- evokes the contributions and sacrifices of Canadians in conflicts throughout our history. (Portrait: HM Queen Elizabeth II)

$10: The Canadian train -- represents Canada's great technical feat of linking its eastern and western frontiers by what was, at the time, the longest railway ever built. (Portrait: Sir John A. Macdonald)

$5: Canadarm2 and Dextre -- symbolize Canada's continuing contribution to the international space program through robotics innovation. (Portrait: Sir Wilfrid Laurier)

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/Bank...5/story.html
Edited by Toronto1
06/20/2011 5:36 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3689 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2011  5:35 pm  Show Profile   Check Libertad's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add Libertad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The media is so childish. They were saying how loonies and toonies drag you down. Well, when the heck was the last time someone bought something with 50-100 of those things? Wouldn't it make more sense to bring them to a bank to get a banknote? really....
Also saying that paper is traditional.... well only since prohibition. So in their lifetime, yes, but historically, no. Coins have always been the real money....
One more media brainwash. I wish they had actual journalists to verify any of the stuff they spout on the tube instead of clueless pretty people.
[/rant enjoy your banknotes]

On a joyous sidenote, I really do like trains on banknotes, so I can't wait for that. Choo-choo!
Edited by Libertad
06/20/2011 5:38 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1554 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2011  6:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add glenzy1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just don't know whether I like it, love or hate it? I have not had the chance to actually have a hands on examination of the bill to this date, but from an economic and anti-counterfeit stand point, it appears to be a win win situation.
Now if I were a Bill Collector, I'd be crying hysterically! It would be the equivalent of the Government producing plastic coins to replace the metal coins?

Glenn
Valued Member
Canada
272 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2011  6:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add neweden to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
TORONTO1 = If the $100 bill isn't issued until November 2011 how did you get one.
Just asking..
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4916 Posts
Valued Member
Canada
153 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2011  7:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Toronto1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to neweden,

it's not mine, it's from a newspaper article LOL

Canada
8 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2011  7:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cnr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1488 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2011  7:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like the same type of paper currency they use in Mexico, it is very durable and lasts along time.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1050 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2011  10:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1cent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The ghost of money never looked so high tech.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1554 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2011  05:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add glenzy1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Question: Why does Canada need large denomination bill$ to begin with? I feel if the $100.00, $50.00, and the $20.00 bills were eliminated, can you imagine what that would do to the drug trade in this country!! How would your local street level drug dealer operate, which then would snowball to the higher level dealers? Would this not put a major damper on counterfeiting if large denominations bills not exist?
Now with the advent of debit cards, credit cards, phone payments, internet banking, Paypal, etc., do we really need large currency bill$?
The largest bill I have had in my pocket in the past 5 years was a $20.00 bill and that was as a result of an Bank ATM withdrawal, I would have settled for a $10./$5. had the ATM given me the choice.

Glenn
Valued Member
Australia
138 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2011  09:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oasis to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
$50 notes are standard in Australia, I hate having to use $20s and smaller when I go back to Canada. I usually ask for $100 notes when I'm at the bank. And no Glenn, I'm not a drug dealer, I just like having a nice compact stash of notes when I go shopping.

Have polymer notes ever been used in a cold weather country? Sure it's nice to put notes through the wash but even here you come across so many notes that have been taped or stapled back together. It will be interesting to see how these hold up to multiple folding in -20 weather!
Edited by oasis
06/21/2011 09:29 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1733 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2011  09:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ugly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No offense at all intended Glenzy, you're thinking like a cop :) and your thinking is stilted to the best way is Big Brothers way.

In all seriousness, I'm totally sick of every nickel I move being tracked and traced by someone. There are sales of things like recyclables and rocks that I want in CASH. I don't want to cough up half of that cash for welfare and public union pensions, I want to keep that cash for ME. If I take it through the bank or paypal things won't work out that way.

Besides this concept of controlling the drug trade doesn't work. I'd rather pay for a six man trained and dedicated team of cops in every major center to recover kidnapped children than pay for yet more hemp controlling activities that don't work. Did I say it doesn't work? I think I did.

On a related note Glenzy, if you got your way, then 100 dollar US notes or 100 Euro notes would start circulating, people do what they need to get business done regardless of government meddling. As an example it's funny how the gun registry hasn't resulted in a greater percentage of solved gun related crimes like they promised it would and thank God this isn't yet a police state considering the absolute BS that spills out of the council of Police Chiefs. Good cops? Yes, certainly. Good government? Oh my Lord in Heaven NO.

Bottom line, if they push too far with the lack of paper currency we'll all just use someone else's.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3689 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2011  7:06 pm  Show Profile   Check Libertad's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add Libertad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it has more to do with volume and demand than actual money. (Example, blocking up Panama did nothing to curtail Columbian flow of drugs.) Pre-loaded debit cards are one way to get around cash. The main thing is that big drug companies would have to admit that their thousands of patented formulas are useless next to the benefits of pure hemp. Destroy the cartels by giving them incentive to transform into carriers of medical aid. Print money on hemp - it returns the trust back to industry not bureaucracy.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
576 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2011  7:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add North of 49 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The next question would be , is it time to start hoarding older bills or would that just be a waste of time?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4916 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2011  7:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Canadian-Banknotes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't start hoarding Journey Series notes, There were millions and millions printed.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 5,290Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.97 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05