Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1913 Buffalo Nickel

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
3640 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2011  5:30 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Indian1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Noticed this one as I was starting to go through
a Whitman 9008. Not evident in these scans but the coin
has some mint luster left especially in the low areas and also looks a lot sharper in detail in hand. Seems to be a weak strike and also kind of busy near the plain (maybe lamination problems ?) as well as pluribus unum (letters are
touching each other more so than what I would believe to be normal. No pro at grading these but checked out some photo grades and it seems to be in the EF range and maybe AU but not positive. I know it is not a biggie but would be nice to get a ballpark if anything on it. I believe this is the type 1 ? Thanks.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3343 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2011  7:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rachums107 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah its the Type 1 looks about EF-AU, I don't know about solid AU though cause of the weak strike.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1691 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2011  10:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add atlashealth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Type I 1913D mint mark VF-35
Pillar of the Community
United States
597 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2011  10:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add reupman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
yep looks great
Pillar of the Community
United States
3640 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2011  09:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Indian1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just noticed that is does look like a D m.m. on the scan
but it is just a P. A shadow I guess. There is a little green
down around that area. VF35/EF40 seems to be it. Will recheck
those photo grade pics. again. Also I did pick up another camera and want to try that out. Coin really jumps out at you in hand. These scans I do never do justice.
Pillar of the Community
United States
880 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2011  10:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lukkyseven to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
EF45 - good horn details, but the Obverse is very weak. Look at Liberty, it's either mushy details or wear marks and I can't tell. Plus the corrosion around the bottom of the Reverse hurts. So I could see this going lower.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2547 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2011  11:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mycrob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd go EF on this piece, but a few issues hold it from getting an AU- vedigras (?) on reverse, some darkness on obverse.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3640 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2011  5:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Indian1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all. I think the EF40 should do it overall.
45 details minus the problem. :)Martian slobber. Weak strike is a definate on this one as I also read that many this year were as such. My eye caught that Liberty right away but then
with the remaining luster etc (in hand) had to attribute it to the strike. Not much of a diff. in premium anyway from VF35
to EF45. I think a very fair solid $15.00 coin.
That will be it then when I put it up on the auction forum.
Once again thanks for your help.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05