Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

ASE Toning

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 3,317Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
644 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2016  10:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twslisa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not bad at all for bullion!!

On the topic of toned bullion, agree that bullion is bullion. That said, I LIKE rainbow toning. I like looking at a coin that may have been struck with millions just like it, but "life" has made it one of a kind. Kind of a metaphor, don't you think? So given a choice between a perfectly white ASE and one like THIS, I might even pay a SMALL premium for this.

Valued Member
United States
467 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2016  10:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add crazyglue to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

In general I would agree that bullion is bullion. If you have 20 ASE of the same date in a tube and you are hoping for silver to go up so you can sell, then it probably does not matter if they have toning or not.

However, you collect 31 bullion coins together-- and all of them have different dates and are spot and blemish free-- and suddenly you have a collection worth a couple of hundred dollars over melt. At least eBay would lead me to believe that.

I find those silver eagles very interesting. I remember them in 1986 (I was 16 and already collecting coins). I had no interest (and couldn't afford those at the time). Even 5 years ago I only saw them as bullion and never wondered about the fuss.

But I was wrong. There really is something about those things that are awesome. I may finally get around to collecting them...one of each in bullion, proof and burnished and whatever else crazy things they did for a few years. And in my own mind...it definitely will be collecting coins, not bullion.

Even when I buy silver bullion in tubes, being a collector deep inside, I want my bullion to look NICE. Wish I could get over that but can't. So I understand where the OP is coming from.

Valued Member
United States
245 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2016  12:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TMCD75 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love the toned up ASE. I like the toned up Morgans too, it adds a lot to the coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
644 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2016  9:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twslisa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
By the way, I got curious and looked on eBay, and people are offering toned ASE's at a premium. There are some real beauties.

There are also a couple graded, slabbed, "details-artificially toned" ASE's for sale. One is asking a quite premium for it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1241 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2021  10:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Was going through my Mint tubes (with the green caps) tonight and noticed that the top coin in my oldest tube (2002) had started toning. A very nice golden glow around the rim. The coins in the newer tubes (2005-2007) did not tone (yet). Does it typically take 15+ years for ASEs to tone, if at all?
Valued Member
United States
299 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2021  10:48 pm  Show Profile   Check Singer's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Singer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Here is a 1986 ASE in a PCI Gold holder that I'm looking to cross over into a PCGS holder. Graded MS70 (haha) by PCI, I'm hoping for an MS66 or better with Authentic Toning... It's actually much more colorful in hand.

I had asked in a previous topic if this should be submitted in the PCI holder or should it be removed and put in a flip?

Any ideas on the best way to submit?
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
430 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2021  11:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HumblePie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Singer, I'm pretty sure TPG's prefer you send your Coin to them in a flip, I believe they will charge you $ if they have to take it out of anything other than a flip.

Beautiful 1986 ASE you have there!

Here are a few of my favorite toned ASE's.

Valued Member
United States
299 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2021  5:59 pm  Show Profile   Check Singer's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Singer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Humble.

It really is a sweet coin. I've gone through previous threads on coins toning in PCI holders trying to find the definitive answer.

I'm trying to minimize the chances that they will say it's Artificial Toning. I do know that PCI toning has been accepted as Natural Toning in the past. Getting it in the PCGS or NGC holder as a problem-free coin is my ultimate goal.

I don't want to make things worse by making a mistake on my submission. I'm asking my LCS about it later.

Thanks!
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
420 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2021  10:05 pm  Show Profile   Check Lancek's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Lancek to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't polish them. Bullion may be bullion for silver rounds. But for some reason I've never understood, many people will pay a premium of $5ish over melt for SAEs. That would prob disappear with an improper cleaning.
Pillar of the Community
United States
878 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2021  02:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MrPink2018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Does it typically take 15+ years for ASEs to tone, if at all?

@NumisEd-

no.

i took this picture of my bullion ASE dansco album in 2019. see the center coin? 2017; I bought 5 of those new in 2017. I handled all 5 with gloves, no bare fingers. I put all 5 carefully into a tube with numerous other bullion version ASEs, different dates, '86-'16. they sat there until I finally got the dansco albums in 2019. I loaded the bullion coins into their respective album. when I loaded the 2017 I noticed the difference in color. it stood out. I picked the other 2017s from the tube; all 5 had toned a very slight, soft gold-color. none of the other ASEs in the tube had toned at all. I eventually attained another 2017 that was blast-white & replaced the toned one with it. how odd that only those 5 2017s toned, in the tube with 15 other ASEs... and they all toned the same color and evenly, but only on the obverses. the reverses are all the proper silver-color. so mine toned in under two years. I have no idea why. I took pix of them when I received them in 2017 and they were all silver-color, not gold-color. it didn't particularly bother me, but I needed for the album to have a silver silver coin, not a gold silver coin. I like toned coins, but only natural toning, not intentionally-induced toned coins.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 3,317Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05