Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Update #4 - Completed Circulated Classic Silver Commemorative Type Set

First page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 501 / Views: 76,145Next Topic
Page: of 34
Pillar of the Community
United States
1197 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2011  7:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ilikeikes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for sharing!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6836 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2011  8:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow ... many thanks for the kind comments and courtesy of a reply.

Quote:
Which ones were the most difficult and why

Fair question ... which I will attempt to answer from the perspective of someone considering this set in circulated grade.

I would say the most difficult have been the 19 holes I have left!

I have been actively searching for the set for over two years ... and the holes mean that I have not found a single circulated example that fits the bill. It's quite possible I may never complete the set.

Of the coins I have ... several can be considered expensive by most folks ... even in circulated condition. The price for some of these classic silver commemorative is a huge barrier for even attempting the complete 50 coin type set.

On the other hand ... many of these are readily available in circulated condition at reasonable prices ... a $30 to $40 investment per coin could purchase 4 or 5 of these right now off E-Bay.

I'm on a lifetime quest for dual classic silver commemorative type sets ... MS65 or better and low grade circulated ... will not give up looking ... and hope to share some new additions with all of you someday.

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Valued Member
United States
158 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2011  9:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chewyduck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, thats a spectacular collection. I'm barley into my 10th coin. I look at your pics and get excited right away. And the wife pull me by the collar and says dinners ready, I hope we can still afford to eat.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6280 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2011  3:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This Wisconsin may not be circulated enough for your set but I thought I would show it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1936-Wiscon...em4aaf36cf74
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2935 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2011  5:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add paleoguy45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great minds (or pea brains - your call) think on the same channel Muddler. I took a look at that one too, but I think NS isn't going for cleaned coins and this one has definitely been through the car wash a time or two....
Edited by paleoguy45
10/01/2011 9:00 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
890 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2011  8:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdh157 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
great looking set.......I started a set of the early commems (82 and earlier)awhile ago but haven't done much with it since. I wanted ms coins as well but realized the prices made it unattainable for me. Another thing I found out is that when you put the focus on driving yourself nuts trying to fill your set with all high grade coins you end up with a hobby that is nowhere near as fun as it used to be.

thanks for putting my perspective back where it used to be......and just for the record, my favorite design is the 1918 illinois with Lincoln on the obv.
Valued Member
United States
70 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2011  9:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IowaHawkeye to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
David,

Great idea and great set.

Love seeing something a bit different, this certainly is...
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6836 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2011  8:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This Wisconsin may not be circulated enough for your set but I thought I would show it

Thanks for thinking of me!

Please keep the coins coming ... could use all the help I can get to complete this lovely set.

David
Pillar of the Community
United States
6280 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2011  11:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
David already has one of these but this one is great!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1918-Lincol...em35b5aeeb2a
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6836 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2011  9:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow ... I'm always looking to upgrade (low-grade?) my circulated set ... and that Illinois is an amazing classic commemorative in honest circulated condition.

Saved in my E-Pray watch list ... will keep an eye on it ... alas it will most likely sell for way more that I am willing to pay.

Thanks muddler for the heads up!

You folks are great ... truly appreciate the leads to these coins.

Many Thanks.

David
Pillar of the Community
United States
6280 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2011  7:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a down grade Maine option from eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1920-Maine-...em3f0f5cafd2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6836 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2011  8:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Soooo ... I placed an honest bid on that FR02 Lincoln that muddler showed me and was sniped .... lost it by $2 at the end of the auction!

Appreciate the heads-up on the G08/F12 or so Maine Half ... my current Maine is VF30 or so ... so a definite downgrade.

What a weird world this is ... searching for the most worn coins when most folks are searching for the best preserved.

Thanks muddler for the heads-up ... saved in my E-Pray watch list and we'll see what happens.

David

Pillar of the Community
United States
2120 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2011  1:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Namachieli to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I say a VG8 Lafayette Dollar in an Anacs slab last weekend. Guy wanted $300 for it. I was thinking of emailing you, but I figured you wouldn't want to over pay that much.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6836 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2011  8:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks ianmprice for keeping an eye out for me ...

Quote:
I say a VG8 Lafayette Dollar in an Anacs slab last weekend. Guy wanted $300 for it

I recently picked up a PCGS G06 Lafayette which was probably overgraded ... and I purchased it for a lot less than $300!

You can see it here ...

http://goccf.com/t/100415

I am humbled and amazed at how the CCF family is helping me with sources to find these coins ...

Hoping to complete the circulated set someday.

Many Thanks to all of you for the support and interest in my Quest.

David
Pillar of the Community
United States
1388 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2011  11:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Darth Anarchus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What a set! I love the circulated cameo look that some of these have... Keep us posted on the progress
Page: of 34 Previous TopicReplies: 501 / Views: 76,145Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05