Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Yet another forum game - Numismatic Go Fish!  

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 112
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
1757 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2018  5:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Dorado, that is a 20th century coin. But what is 100 years among friends?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2764 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2018  5:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
@Dorado, that is a 20th century coin. But what is 100 years among friends?

I don't know ,what I was thinking ...I am sorry oriole
The 19th century began on January 1, 1801 and ended on December 31, 1900.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
1757 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2018  8:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you are going to make a mistake, it may as well be in your favour. that is my strategy.
Learn More...
United States
55003 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2018  12:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I got nothing for this round, going to enjoy the show.
Valued Member
United States
111 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2018  2:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Michael Lueders to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Enjoying my fresh popcorn here can't participate in this baby
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6578 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2018  5:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't have anything from the Danish West Indes and the only colonial Caribbean silver I have is from the Netherlands Antilles (Curacao). For variety, here is the '44 Quarter Gulden:

"It certainly strikes the beholder with astonishment, to perceive what vast difficulties can be overcome by the pigmy arms of little mortal man, aided by science and directed by superior skill." --Henry Tudor (the lawyer not the king)
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
11807 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2018  11:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joseph7420 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will also go with something from Curaçao.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4563 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  02:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure if I'll be able to get any good point coins, but here's a foot in the door:

Jamaica, 1973 proof set

Selling authentic Roman denarii, starting @$8:
http://goccf.com/t/299965

Check out my latest sale:
http://goccf.com/t/303107
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6578 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  12:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@finn, do you have any coins of Jamaica prior to 1962 (i.e. prior to establishing their independence)?
"It certainly strikes the beholder with astonishment, to perceive what vast difficulties can be overcome by the pigmy arms of little mortal man, aided by science and directed by superior skill." --Henry Tudor (the lawyer not the king)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1408 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  08:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Arkie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pepactonius wins with 5 points
Dorado has 2 points
Spence has 2 points
Joseph 7420 has 1 point
Finn235's contribution was not colonial Caribbean

Go Pepactonius
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2169 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  09:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The next challenge will be to post your smallest coin -- everyone that has at least one coin should be able to participate.

The challenge coin:

1/10 fanam (or bele), supposedly from India, but probably a modern fantasy or forgery:

This photo was taken with the coin lying on a stage micrometer. The coin appears to be about 1.90 by 1.93 mm in diameter, although this photo was taken with a non-telecentric lens, so the coin might be slightly smaller.

The following two photos show the obverse and reverse. These are is the only whole-coin photos I've ever taken with a microscope objective (so far).

Pointage:

One point for each whole millimeter in diameter. If the coin is not perfectly round (or not round at all), the largest diameter (or longest dimension) will be used. Fractional millimeters are rounded up to the nearest whole millimeter. The challenge coin is 1.90 by 1.93 mm, so 1.93 mm is used and gets rounded up to 2 mm, giving 2 points.

There is no special bonus for an exact match.

The participation bonus (for entries with no coin) will be a very generous 1000 points, corresponding to 1-meter diameter coin.

Other rules:

1) The coin with the fewest points wins. For point-based ties, the earliest post wins (not the coin with the smallest fractional millimeter size). If there are no valid entries, the first participation post wins.

2) All coin-like objects are OK -- examples: tokens, fantasies, reproductions, miniature novelty coins, unusual coins (in Krause), counterfeits/forgeries, etc.

3) Not allowed are small images of coins on currency, stamps, etc. or small coins forming part of the design on a larger coin (the size of the larger coin would count in this case). Also not allowed are individual gold dust particles, and the like.

4) The weight or thickness of the coin does not matter, only the diameter or other length/width measurement. (I suppose if you have a strange coin that is thicker than its diameter, the thickness would be the maximum dimension, so that would count in this unusual case.)

5) Please include the diameter or other maximum size with your post. If I can't figure out the size (especially likely with novelty items or tokens, etc.), only the 1000 participation points can be awarded.

6) I forgot to add -- The cutoff for entries is April 19, 10AM, forum time.

Edited by pepactonius
04/16/2018 09:54 am
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
364 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  10:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bd251 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Kingdom of Travencore 1 Chuckram ND (1811-1901) KM# C8. It is listed on Numista as having a diameter of 6.38mm. I have not confirmed the actual maximum dimension of my example, however. https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces21888.html

Learn More...
United States
55003 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  10:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Jamaica, 1973 proof set
Good looking set.

Quote:
Pepactonius wins with 5 points
Congratulations!

Quote:
The next challenge will be to post your smallest coin -- everyone that has at least one coin should be able to participate.
I will have to see if I have a photo of anything other than a US dime.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2169 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  10:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I will have to see if I have a photo of anything other than a US dime.

A dime is OK -- nothing says that only tiny coins are allowed for this challenge. For example, a crown collector's smallest coin might be 35mm in diameter.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4563 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  11:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
India, Kingdom of Mysore
Krishnaraja Wodeyar III
1799-1868
Gold fanam, 6mm 0.40g
Obv: Narasimha, the lion-faced avatar of Vishnu
Rev: Poorly executed legend "Sri Kamthi Rava"

That one is about 5mm and change, rounding up to 6. I don't have a caliper, so in stuck using a regular old clear plastic ruler! Funny, I just opted not to bid on a 3mm ancient Indian silver coin.
Selling authentic Roman denarii, starting @$8:
http://goccf.com/t/299965

Check out my latest sale:
http://goccf.com/t/303107
Edited by Finn235
04/16/2018 11:12 am
Page: of 112 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.91 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05