Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

World Crowns Gems & Rarities (Crowns); Post Your Gem Crowns Here  

Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
693 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2018  3:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jgenn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome 8s, jfransch. I remember that you mentioned your acquaintance with the salvager for the 1733 from another time when you posted it. What a fantastic personal connection to rare piece in your collection!

Can I ask why you choose to photograph your coins with a strong lighting angle from the bottom? I generally photograph with an angle from the top to better reflect the in-hand appearance, since most interior and all outdoors light comes from above.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1565 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2018  4:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jfransch to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Jgenn
I have no camera. All the images I have are from a flat plate scanner. As such I cannot control the light from the scanner reflecting off the coin and flat plate the coin sits on.
Regarding the 1733, all of Stefan's coins have that "bright" look because they were meticulously conserved by slow electrolysis which took off all the corrosion and left the bright look to the coins. I have seen one of his coins sold by a major auction house that had been obviously re-toned since the auction house did not like that look. I know because the coin used to belong to me and every salvaged coin has a unique look. (It was one of a few coins I have ever sold and the buyer swore he needed it for his collection and he would never sell it and I should give him a great price. Right, I will be more skeptical in the future)
I would like to acquire a nice digital camera and learn to photograph my coins both for record keeping and sharing. (I will add that to the 5000 other "to do" items already on the list)
"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
693 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2018  7:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jgenn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi jfransch, thanks for the reply. Perhaps you just need to rotate the coins 180 degrees on your scanner. However, I recommend a decent camera, camera stand and light sources. I bet you have a lot of coins with beautiful toning -- and you really need to photograph them raw. Perhaps we can discuss this at the next USMexNA convention in October.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2888 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  12:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a couple of Chinese crown-sized silver issues -

1914 Shi Kai ¥1

1934 Sun Yat-sen ¥1

I suspect that this latter coin, while dated 1934, may well be from the U.S. Mint's 1949 restrike of the design.

Colligo ergo sum
Learn More...
United States
50602 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  2:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here's a couple of Chinese crown-sized silver issues -
Looking good.

Quote:
I suspect that this latter coin, while dated 1934, may well be from the U.S. Mint's 1949 restrike of the design.
Interesting.
Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  7:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wcg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have enjoyed seeing the variety on this thread. Truly some great crowns displayed here!
Valued Member
United States
133 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  6:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cableguy815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After much searching, I was finally able to land what I believe to be a Gem Mint State Eritrea Tallero without selling my kidneys. She cost a bit more than I wanted to spend but well worth it once I had her I hand.

Valued Member
United States
133 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2018  12:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cableguy815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is another recent arrival from Italy.

1851 Switzerland 5 Francs

Valued Member
United States
105 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2018  01:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add beem to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Really nice!
United States
41 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2018  05:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Shaw69 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mine aren't nearly as beautiful as most of the ones already posted, but these are some of the ones in my collection.

1840/30 8 Reals

1866 Maximilian Peso

1971 Thailand 50 Baht

1910 Mexico 1 Peso

And 1899 British Trade Dollar

Pillar of the Community
United States
2888 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2018  10:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was just about to put this up when Shaw69 beat me to it, my favorite Mexican issue of this genre, the "Caballito" Peso. I'll still post it on the basis that my example shows quite a bit more of the original design than that pretty well circulated one. I really like the 1840/30 Go "Cap & Rays" 8 Reales and that 1866 Mo Maximilian Peso, though, as neither's by any means easy to find in that sort of higher grade.

Colligo ergo sum
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1565 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2018  11:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jfransch to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Shaw69
Nice coins, thank you for sharing. I like the over date based on decade change
"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Valued Member
Belgium
65 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2018  7:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1c5d7n5m to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nice coins
the Eritrea Tallero is a gem indeed, made exactly one century ago
Learn More...
United States
50602 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2018  11:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here is another recent arrival from Italy.

1851 Switzerland 5 Francs
A nice arrival it is.
Valued Member
United States
459 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2018  1:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add plonker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is a dutch provinces Zeeland silver 2 ducats from 1748. It weights about 57gs.
http://www.coinfactswiki.com/wiki/Z...cat_Dav-1847

Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05