Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

World Crowns Gems & Rarities (Crowns); Post Your Gem Crowns Here  

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 18
Valued Member
United States
109 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2018  7:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add beem to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, and yup, I have quite few coins listed.
Valued Member
249 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2018  07:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numister to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love the Ethiopian coins, they were designed so well. Wonder who designed them.
Valued Member
United States
109 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2018  5:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add beem to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ethiopian coins are among my favorites. I'm a sucker for coins with lions. Well, dunno if 'sucker' is the right word, I invested quite a bit in coins depicting lions which I thought were undervalued and I've done really well on most of them.
Valued Member
United States
104 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2018  11:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tough to find some things that haven't already been posted.. A couple of fun modern ones I collected as a kid. Back then they may have been special parts of my collection. (Hmm ... nteresting that the newer one has the older QEII portrait).

Gambia 8 shillings 1970

Mauritius Dodo coin 1971

Edited by tdziemia
02/10/2018 11:34 am
Valued Member
United States
104 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2018  11:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If my memory is correct, ducatons from Phillip II and Charles II have been posted, so this covers one of the rulers between them, Phillip IV.

Netherlands
24 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2018  09:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dulitu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another interesting crown from my collection:
Iles de France et Bonaparte (current day Mauritius and Reunion) 10 livres (also called Piastre Decaen) from 1810.
This coin was minted from silver bullion, captured from Dutch ship Ouvidor. The colony did not have any coin minting facilities, so the local goldsmith Aveline was commissioned to design and produce the coins. During few months he minted 112,850 pieces, all with the same dies that deteriorated at the centers.
At the end of the same year, Isle de France was occupied by the English and was renamed Mauritius. Some sources say that approximately 95% of these coins were melted down by the English. That means only about 6000 pieces survived.
Valued Member
United States
104 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2018  4:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting coin with an even more interesting history!
United Kingdom
15 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  1:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am new to this forum, so still finding my way round. I picked up this Crown size coin today - Austria 1857 A Thaler, so I thought I would post it for practice:

United Kingdom
43 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  2:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add paulCT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum!You've picked the best topic!
United Kingdom
43 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  3:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add paulCT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is the rarest coin that I have up this point.I mentioned it before in some comments, it's an Italian States tallero,Bozzolo,no date,most likely minted somewhere between 1616-1618 under S.Gonzaga,mint master:Giovanni Cortella,probably issued for the Levant trading.This particular one weights 25.5 gr, but it seems that the variation for this type goes from 21.8gr to around 26.3gr.It's an R4(Varesi) coin ,Bellesia mentioning 3 specimens and CNI(corpus nummorum italicorum) 4 specimens,two of which should be different from those mentioned in Bellesia.
Unfortunately my coin is not in the best condition so i'd be really curious to see how you'd grade it!

Learn More...
United States
52090 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  6:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I am new to this forum, so still finding my way round. I picked up this Crown size coin today - Austria 1857 A Thaler, so I thought I would post it for practice:
Very nice!

to the Community!
Valued Member
United States
104 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  10:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Unfortunately my coin is not in the best condition so i'd be really curious to see how you'd grade it!

First, I'm impressed because I have a few coins from Italy in medieval to Renaissance times, but have NEVER heard of Bozzolo. Certainly the Gonzagas are all over the coins of Mantova and a few nearby places...

Grading question is tough because there is a big difference between the two sides, and there is the U.S. vs Europe thing. I;m not gonna get myself (also a newbie here) in hot water by guessing a grade.

Valued Member
United States
164 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  11:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cableguy815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi folks! Been away for a bit and am glad to see this thread still chugging along with a steady stream of eye candy.

@beem - that is one beautiful Talari. I am a huge fan of Ethiopian Birrs and have several in my collection. I am also a huge sucker for coins with lion (perhaps because I am a Leo?). Your Talari seems not only under-graded to my eye but also looks proof. Not sure what the heck NGC was thinking

@PaulCT - Nice Ecu! I looked over the Bozzolo Tallero and couldn't formulate any opinion on it and instead decided to reach out to someone who I thought might. This is straight from Alberto Varesi after I showed him your pictures (I hope that was OK):

"The weight is very variable, between 22 and 26.3 grams

From the picture I can not say with certainty if it is authentic, but I think so.

Because of the poor state of conservation its value should be considered between 1000 and 2000 euros"

Hope that helps. I am curious how did you come by this coin?

P.S.

I didn't scroll down enough on the email to realize the above was a translation. Here is the original comment from Alberto:

"Bozzolo, Scipione Gonzaga, Tallero da 80 Soldi.

il peso è molto variabile, tra I 22 e 26,3 grammi

Dalla foto non posso dire con certezza se sia autentica, per quanto ritenga di sì.

Visto il pessimo stato di conservazione tra I 1000 ed I 2000 euro"
Edited by cableguy815
02/13/2018 11:39 am
United Kingdom
43 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  12:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add paulCT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
cableguy815 Hi there!Thank you for your research, I appreciate!To get an opinion From Alberto Varesi himself is quite something!The coin is silver and judging by the way it looks I think it's genuine.I had it authenticated by a major coin dealer in London,who actually tried to convince me to sell it for around 160£ saying it's rare but worn therefore the low value.Of course I'm not that stupid so I politely refused their generosity!Coming back to it's condition i'd say the obverse is VG +/- and the reverse is at least F. I'm not a very experienced grader, but this type was poorly struck
and there's at least one specimen looking worse than mine. The catalogue says 1750 usd/1415.35 Euro(VG)- 6100 usd/4936.00 Euro(VF).I know this value can be irrelevant and the coin's condition is not great, but even so, this is an extremely rare coin so I don't think it's worth less than 2000 euro, maybe more on a lucky day!
Edited by paulCT
02/13/2018 12:35 pm
United Kingdom
43 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  12:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add paulCT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On the other hand there's no way I'm contesting A.Varesi's expertise and opinion it's just that I like to think a bit more positive.How did I get it?It was actually a mistake, I was searching on eBay for thalers and this one was described as an unresearched saxony thaler and I initially said the coin is to ugly to bother but then I was wait I minute, I've never seen anything similar so I started to research it.Finally,the auction was going in two and most likely the other bidder knew what the coin was.The price went from 25£ with 20 seconds to go to 171£, my winning bid.I was sweating and shaking like crazy as I thought I might loose it but then I was !!
Edited by paulCT
02/13/2018 12:34 pm
Page: of 18 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.09 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05