Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post your new currency acquisitions!  

Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 193
Pillar of the Community
United States
876 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2017  6:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add techwriter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
tech - Great note that we seldom see on the forum. Tell us the backstory and how you grade it, please!

=======
The backstory: a year ago I found a Windom in a Canadian auction and placed a bid--didn't win. Found another Windom earlier this year and placed a bid--didn't win.
Found TWO Windom notes in a recent auction and bid on both, not sure what I would have done had I won both however. As it goes I lost one and won one.
Now, this one I had graded as a Fine+ and bid accordingly. The note arrived and I was pleasantly surprised to find I had under-graded AND enclosed was the label I've included in this post. I've contacted PMG about a possible re-holder.
Label included with the note, but no explanation:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1837 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2017  2:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Connor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Been a while since I’ve posted on this thread. Here are a few of my most recent note purchases.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
18989 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2017  4:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know you're a Bust coin nut, didn't recall you were into paper!
"You can't fool all the people all the time - others would like a chance."

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1837 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2017  4:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Connor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I enjoy the paper just as much as I do coins. I am more of a type collector on the notes side. I really enjoy the large notes and most of mine are in the VF range.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7674 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2017  12:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@tech... very interested to hear what PMG says about the re-holder request. Cool stuff!
Pillar of the Community
United States
998 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2017  11:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tech, once a note has been removed from a holder, all bets are off.
Valued Member
United States
248 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2017  1:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kevro22 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I turned in some eBay bucks for this a few weeks back. It's not in great shape but that was part of the allure. Can't imagine the history this note saw or was part of considering when and where it circulated. Could this have been part of an Al Capone heist or something? :)

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
18989 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2017  4:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
tech - Thanks for that background.

Steve - I know all bets are off with a coin, but I would think having the confirming serial # on the label would make a difference for paper money - ?

kevro - You might be right. Judging from the condition, it outlasted Capone!

Edited by Coinfrog
12/08/2017 4:45 pm
Valued Member
United States
141 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2017  4:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Steve - I know all bets are off with a coin, but I would think having the confirming serial # on the label would make a difference for paper money - ?

I'll agree with Steve on this one. Wouldn't they have to re-grade it to be sure that something didn't change on the note after it was taken out of the holder?
Pillar of the Community
United States
998 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2017  5:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
BadDog nailed it !!
Pillar of the Community
United States
876 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2017  8:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add techwriter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay, here's the scoop. Talked with PMG, told them about the label, etc., etc. As I suspected I would have to submit it for grading not re-holder. So, note went out yesterday afternoon to PMG. Given published times for grading, return time (7 days is my usual receipt time); it will be after first of the year before I know how the note was re-graded. Hopefully it won't go down.
Merry Christmas to all
Valued Member
United States
482 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2017  9:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add santafeboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice note Kevro I have some 1928 Chicago numericals and I often wonder if any Chicago gangsters or bootleggers ever held them
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
18989 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2017  4:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Be sure to let us know!

Pillar of the Community
United States
876 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2017  10:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add techwriter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A very nice note just lying around an auction with no bidders, so I entered a bid and here it is, saved from auction obscurity.
=====

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7674 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2017  12:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
tech...from the scan that note looks awesome. Are you going to have it graded?
Page: of 193 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05