Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Suggestions for places to detect  

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Netherlands
95 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2017  2:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Archeo1982 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The thing I normaly do is looking at the landscape. Use googlemaps or Bingmaps to recognize old fields or traces of buildings in the ground. Also check if the area is under archaeological protection.
If you want to metal detect on archaeological grounds, you can volunteer at the archaeological service of a state or city. I don't know exactly how it works is the USA, but in Europe you can volunteer at excavations. In that case you may metal detect, but you may not keep the finds.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3176 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2017  3:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My buddy and I hunted a county park, what used to be a grist mill on the river. Very trashy but we mangaged 4 mercs and a dozen wheats.
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2017  02:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bestmetal to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
get yourself a new metal detector in cheap price and start coin hunting.https://bestmetaldetectors.net/
Valued Member
United States
93 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2017  2:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mail187man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One thing I did was try speaking with the head of parks and recreation. I had someone complain while I was at a ballpark, so I called the parks and recreation manager to find out if it was true that I was not allowed at that ball field. They said it was indeed true. So I asked where in town it would be OK and they gave me 3 different sites to try. One site I got over $50 in clad and a corroded hard times token from 1833. The other I got about $30 in clad, a silver ring, 1943 quarter, and a 1936 Walking Liberty half dollar. You could be just a phone call away from finding a good spot.

It is also worth asking farmers who own lots of corn fields. Ask if it's OK to search as long as its not planted. I've gotten my best finds in corn fields.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3176 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2017  04:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Have had my eye on a civil-war era brick home for a while. Decent sized yard, large trees. Yesterday my buddy and I stopped by, as we saw the elderly homeowners outside. They gave us permission, but said we were about the fifth party to hunt the property lately.

Kind of disappointed in finding not even one modern coin let alone an old relic. Homeowner mentioned one group a year or two back had dug several Barber coins and Indian Head cents.

My old yard permissions have been fruitless the last few years. Getting very difficult to find virgin territory anymore.
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors
Page: of 2  Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05