Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1878-S, heavily die polished and rusted wing semi-PL reverse: V8A? V75A?  

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
7408 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2017  09:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not sure what's going on with the Eagle's right wing. It could be acid treated or could be rust I guess. It's odd that there's no mention in the listing. You'll need to post one more image, (great images btw) the hair vee where the ST clash would be.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5358 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2017  09:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I posted that one, in the scope pictures, I can see identical die polishing lines and what looks like partial transfer, so I think your 42A is right on the money, Dave. I'll shoot it again if needed.

This coin is interesting in a number of respects. There's what appears to be an inner circle around the outer edge of the obverse denticles, broken up in parts over denticle spaces; and it seems to me that it may have been a situation where rusted or pitted dies with clash were treated and heavily polished and put back into use. There appears to be a die chip above the eye lid. The toning completely covers both sides of the coin except for a small portion of the reverse, but there are such strong prooflike surfaces underneath. On the obverse, with the exception of a few scattered bag marks, the fields are mostly undisturbed with minimal die chatter or noise.

I'd love to find out if that toning can be safely removed, leaving only the PL surfaces.
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
7408 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2017  11:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I went back and looked at your VAM scope (love the name) images and the photo you have tagged as hair vee is actually the phrygian cap vee. The hair vee is important because without the st transfer the VAM will revert back to the parent V42 listing as mentioned by Chris. I think you have a 42A based on the reverse die polish lines which appears to be an early strike off the post clash freshened die.
Edited by dave700x
01/07/2017 11:41 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5358 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2017  3:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You are of course correct -- I didn't notice -- will correct tonight!

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5358 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2017  11:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is the best I can do, + some more pictures trying to capture the elusive coin. It appears to be the transfer clash, as I believe I can see the incuse T and part of S.

Pillar of the Community
7408 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2017  4:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Faint clashes are always tough to capture but I can definitely make out the t clash. Congrats on a wonderful pick.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7170 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2017  11:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cascade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yup. 42a. Now dip that baby yourself or send to NCS. She needs some love
Full Pics of my Toned Avatar...
http://goccf.com/t/240873

Member: SSDC, ANA, PCGS, NGC, CAC
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5358 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2017  01:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm way too scared to even attempt it myself, probably going to go to NCS.

Pillar of the Community
United States
7170 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2017  09:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cascade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hope it works out. The rverse looks virgin but I'm afraid the obverwse may have been messed with. Could just be the haze on it though

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5358 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2017  8:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm going to have to find 4 other coins to send with it, since I can't submit it by itself, and a brief poking-around NGC last night couldn't sort out how to submit for both NGC and NCS on the same invoice. My main concern is that even a sub-5-second dip might ruin the mirror finish, as I've never attempted to dip anything that has a PL finish before, and it's not like I have a bunch of hazy or dark toned PL Morgans around to test with. It's not a VAM recognized by NGC so it might need to go to VSS after for a VSS label. On the other hand, this isn't a super rare or expensive coin, and it's a technical 62-63PL at best. Times like this I wish I had a local coin shop that could handle the submissions for me, I usually only submit when there is on-site at shows.

Pillar of the Community
United States
7170 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2017  3:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cascade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can go buy some cheap silver Ike proofs with haze of various degrees and practice dipping them then if you feel comfortable, the Morgan.

Canada
42 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2017  4:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mariash to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, Nice pics there " VAM Scope" mind telling me what kind of scope you have?
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 4.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05