Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Canada 150 Circulation Coins  

Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3543 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2017  11:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Only on special occasions does the RCM will send out these special coins to the banks to commemorate the date, Garda, Brinks generally just do the delivery and pickups for the banks but like all collectors or companies you pay the handling fees and shipping from Winnipeg's bulk order department anyone can order any amount of circulation coins. This is 150 celebrations one would hope there will be easy access to these coins in the next few weeks.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2815 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2017  12:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wildflowerAB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Only on special occasions does the RCM will send out these special coins to the banks to commemorate the date,

Question -- If you think RCM is going to graciously send out coins to banks just so they can be handed out to bank customers for face value......why doesn't RCM just sell them for face value on their website and let the customer pay for shipping?

Remember that RCM is a Crown Corporation and banks are private corporations. If the Govt of Canada was inclined to ship new coins purely for mass public distribution, CP outlets might also be an option. But what's in it for them?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2815 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2017  12:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wildflowerAB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

.......but like all collectors or companies you pay the handling fees and shipping from Winnipeg's bulk order department anyone can order any amount of circulation coins.

Do have the link for how to order coin from RCM Winnipeg?

Adding - Unlike NCLT, RCM just mints circulation coin for the Bank of Canada. You recall the recent controversy about whether BofC will pay RCM for anything above minting cost? Are you sure this Winnipeg shipping warehouse isn't jointly operated with BofC as a secure holding site? Not just anyone can order circulation coin from BofC.
Edited by wildflowerAB
03/16/2017 12:15 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3586 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2017  12:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CC-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If the Govt of Canada was inclined to ship new coins purely for mass public distribution, CP outlets might also be an option. But what's in it for them?

They did exactly that with the 2012 Grey Cup loonie. I got a roll at a post office 25 for 25, though they were supposed to only exchange one or two dollars at time.

Getting customers in the store so to speak is good customers relations at very limited expense.

BTW, who decided the Grey Cup > the Stanley Cup? $1 versus 25 cents.
Edited by CC-Ottawa
03/16/2017 12:20 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3543 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2017  12:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is a Canada wide celebration, as in a way the winter Olympics were with the Lucky loonies actually got a couple rolls at a local TD which normally has very little new coinage, I am just guessing the government wants easy access to these coins. As for Winnipeg's bulk order department, just call the boutique #, they will give you the bulk order # along with instructions, just a little advance warning shipping is the main drawback, coins are heavy. If you has a good relationship with your postmaster, you could get rolls of Grey Cup loonies at face.
Edited by john100
03/16/2017 1:01 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3586 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2017  1:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CC-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No need for a relationship with the postmaster, it was Mint sponsored exchange in August of 2012.

"Starting tomorrow, Canadians can obtain the 100th Grey Cup one-dollar circulation coin at participating Canada Post across the country."

http://www.mint.ca/store/news/royal....WMrFJOR1rb0

That said, I doubt the Mint will do this again, even for 2017. They have pretty much ended their FV programs so it's likely the boutique and special events (i.e. in Ottawa on Canada Day) are going to be the only places to reliably get these at FV. Banks will be hit and miss IMO. Direct order might be possible but as you said, with shipping, that is not really at FV.

I guess we will know in a couple of months how easy/hard it will be to get these coins via circulation channels.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2815 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2017  1:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wildflowerAB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Getting customers in the store so to speak is good customers relations at very limited expense.

Yes and cp already sells RCM products so it makes a good fit to promote that at the same time. CP is an idea for a possible location to check out as the 150 coins are being released. Otherwise I've had better luck getting new coin or banknotes from big box stores like Walmart. Their coin is often supplied directly through a Brinks servicing contract. It makes sense that they like us spending our money there. After all, pocket change is what coin is primarily made for.

@ headlessobe RCMs current "special wrap" (ie 50 cents) places circulation coin in the category of NCLT and the same would never be supplied to banks or businesses. The clear plastic rolls are commonly used by any automated coin rolling machine, and are gradually replacing paper. The reason is to prevent an entire counterfeit plug being hidden inside a paper roll.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
3586 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2017  1:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CC-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yup I agree Wal-Mart or other large retailers are a good bets.

I've also had a lot of luck getting new circulation coins in change at Senators and Redblacks games. Dunno why, but they always seem to have bright shiny coins.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3543 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2017  1:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If I remembered correctly with the Grey Cup loonies there was a limit of 5 or so at the CP, but asking nicely some CP exchanged rolls, apparently the handling fee and the shipping is the same for any collector dealer or bank to order through this dept.
Valued Member
Canada
78 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2017  3:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add headlessone to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is good stuff! My thinking about the "clear" rolls is with a mind only to identify easily and quickly whether or not a teller @ Walmart has the "goods" I'm --I mean the kids-- looking for. That way, one doesn't need to rely on any special insight or knowledge on the part of the teller, who may not know what freshly minted rolls of shiny new 150 quarters is supposed to look like. Whatever the identifying hallmark of that new roll is, is what I'm trying to identify. And because I've never seen a roll from the mint, other than special wrapped, I wonder what the "tell" will be?
Valued Member
Canada
330 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2017  6:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add unruhjonny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
WildflowerAB:
"Do have the link for how to order coin from RCM Winnipeg?"

You used to be able to do it from their site, but I believe you have to now be a high volume purchaser (I cannot recall what the "club" is called) in order to buy rolls of coins... otherwise you have to purchase from an actual RCM storefront.

Yes they do charge a premium, but I totally get that they have additional overhead for selling coins to collectors, and have never complained about paying a small premium for the privilege.
My ongoing "want" list is HERE
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2815 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2017  7:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wildflowerAB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

You used to be able to do it from their site, but I believe you have to now be a high volume purchaser (I cannot recall what the "club" is called) in order to buy rolls of coins... otherwise you have to purchase from an actual RCM storefront.

Yes they do charge a premium, but I totally get that they have additional overhead for selling coins to collectors, and have never complained about paying a small premium for the privilege.

Yes indeed, collectors near the locations of Mint Stores in Vancouver, Winnipeg and Ottawa are very fortunate for that reason. Too bad they don't sell by mailorder. lol!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3543 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2017  7:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is no club needed, you can order just one coin but it makes no logic due to one time fee of 30.00 and shipping cost if you need the number, phone the Winnipeg boutique, if there wasn't a bulk order dept. how do you think dealers and others get their boxes and rolls. It's an easy process if you are willing to pay the fees and shipping, around 8 to 10% premium
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2815 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2017  12:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wildflowerAB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I mentioned earlier that I'm paying forward a discussion of the 2017 designs.

I began with my 11 year old grandson. It went like this --

Me: Sooo, did you know this year is the 150th anniversary of Canada?

(He has earbuds on and is unplugging himself from his iPhone so I'm not sure if he heard me, but it appears he did.)

Him: Yeah.

Me: And did you know that the government made special coin to celebrate it? Toonies, loonies, quarters and all that? Have you seen any in change you've got from the store?

Him: No, I don't really spend much money.

(Okay, fair enough)

Me: Well here, I have something for you. It's a 5-pack of coin, the same kind you'd get from the store. You know that lamp with the magnifying glass? If you get it, we can have a look and see what the picture is on each coin.

(While he's getting the lamp, I'm googling this webpage:
http://www.mint.ca/store/mint/learn...ion-11100012
It has the name and description of each design, click on each coin.)

One by one we talked about what we noticed on each coin and how that connected to the name -
$2. "Dance of the Spirits" and the northern lights
$1. "Connecting a Nation", the railway from coast to coast
$.25 "Hope for a Green Future", connecting all living things
$.10 "Wings of Peace" and the iconic maple leaf. He says he could see the dove, its beyond me, I couldn't.
$.05 "Living Traditions" the beaver, he liked that one the best.

A couple of rounds of quizzing and a few hints, he had them memorized. At that point I noticed the names and a brief description was also printed in the inner page of the 5-coin packaging. Oh well, we had fun.

Me: Maybe you could ask your teacher if it would be okay for you to tell the rest of the kids about the 150th anniversary coins? Do you think you'd like to do that?

Him: Yeah.

(We'll see.)
Canada
17 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2017  07:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cedargrove to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The other day I was at my local branch picking up a few coin rolls, and asked if they had any mint rolls with the new 2017 coins. The teller indicated she had not seen anything new, and then proceeded to hand me two rolls of 150 anniversary dimes (I don't think she fully understood what I was asking).

I've also found a quarter and 2 toonies in my change.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.87 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05