Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1971 D half dollar mechanical doubling  

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
48 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2017  02:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Paleteromanr32 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a pic side be side another 1971, the left one is the MD. To those who notice the one on right is a grease error, missing large portion of hair. (Will post in new thread at
after date, this is only for reference and comparison as requested)

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2479 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2017  02:24 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with the above comments about MD and think this is a superb example of that which could be useful to anyone seeing the same thing.
"When you make the finding yourself - even if you're the last person on Earth to see the light - you'll never forget it."
-Carl Sagan
United States
48 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2017  03:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Paleteromanr32 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well I'm super glad to hear that this is a "MD" and apparently a great specimen that can be used as example, I have been through lots, and lots of coin rolls of all sorts of denominations and this is the best one I have found. Was getting frustrated that I couldn't find anything worth talking about so I'm glad this is a good one. If verified and graded, does anyone has a rough ballpark of what something like this could be worth? Or is it just face value
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2479 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2017  03:19 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it's worth face value but is a good example of what may be confused with a doubled die. For that, it's educational and thank you for posting it.
"When you make the finding yourself - even if you're the last person on Earth to see the light - you'll never forget it."
-Carl Sagan
United States
48 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2017  03:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Paleteromanr32 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah no problem thank you all for the insight. I figured it was only face value so even before I posted it is knew it was gonna be in the cool jar, but since it's in such great condition I will sleeve it before it goes into. And I'm glad this is one that can be used a reference. Thank you all, I will keep posting things I find that are interesting. If anyone comes up with any more info or insight about this Coin please comment, the more knowledge I can grab from you experts will help me alot
United States
48 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2017  08:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Paleteromanr32 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have been reading up on several links that have been sent to me, (waaaayy too much reading but we'll worth it) but if anyone would be so kind to help me understand the difference between Mechanical Doubling and double die I would greatly appreciate it alot. I don't have time to read every article ever written but I have been doing a lot. I really
I like this forum and it's members. I like that the info keeps going and nobody is going out of their way to make me feel dumb, like some other unmentionable forums. So again thank you. I hope the replies keep coming on all my posts
Valued Member
United States
448 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2017  09:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RCook to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you watch half dollars closely you'll find many of these in the early 70's era coins. I've found many of them and just return them to circulation. Probably the most common error among the 70's era halves is the 1974D DDO in the word "TRUST" the easiest way to spot one is the doubling on the leg of R. In less than 2.5 years of searching I've probably found somewhere between 25-50 of them. I like you am not great with finding errors, but if you ever find one of the 1974D DDO you'll easily be able to tell the difference in a true doubled die and one with mint damage.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5153 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2017  3:30 pm  Show Profile   Check CoinMasters's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CoinMasters to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a recent quote from today's leading expert in reference to a coin with strong MD.

Quote:
Machine doubling this severe does have value. I do not consider it "damage" but a legitimate striking error. Just because the doubling occurs after the hammer die reaches the lowest point of its downstroke doesn't mean it's not related to the strike.

To me this means your coin is not damage, but a mint error. The term for it is Strike Doubling. All forms of MD are legitimate striking errors that occurred during the strike, not after. There is no evidence MD occurs after the strike, in which case it would have been damage. The nicer ones do have value as evidenced by one of the repliers in this post that stated he buys them. Also most people on here have nicer valuable MD coins in their personal collections.
I didn't mean to talk your ear off, I'm just trying to get you started off right with the current thinking on this matter.
Beauty is in the eye of the holder
http://www.ebay.com/sch/Coins-Paper...rne0&_sop=10
United States
48 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2017  9:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Paleteromanr32 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey thanks everyone who has submitted to this discussion I am very grateful for all the knowledge, I have been learning a ton!
Thank you @CoinMasters I really appreciate all the help and really useful information that you have provided. Every time I'm logged in I'm learning lots
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2479 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2017  01:48 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just one more thing to add here: whether you consider MD a mint error or not, coop has prepared several photo comparisons showing the difference between normal, MD and true DD (some with more 3D versions showing the "shelf" appearance in MD). They are massively helpful to me and I thank him for taking the time to put it all together.

If you use the forum search function entering something like "double die", you'll find your way to a topic (or many topics) where coop has posted some side-by-side comparisons. I hope this helps and Happy Hunting!

Questions about doubled dies have to be the most common of questions here.
-Carl Sagan
United States
48 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2017  01:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Paleteromanr32 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great thanks for the info @spruett001, hey I am unsure....in what forum should I post about a 2006 proof possible error? Still in this Forum with a new thread? Or a different one,
United States
40 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2017  12:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add atrox001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As a Kennedy half dollar die variety collector, when I see "MD" I think Master Die. I would use the term MDD (Machine Damage Doubling) for your half dollar.

Larry Nienaber
Edited by atrox001
02/17/2017 12:54 pm
United States
48 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2017  3:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Paleteromanr32 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks atrox001 I was just using MD but that makes more sense MDD
Pillar of the Community
United States
4234 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2017  4:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see the logic in this, but you will find the forums full of people using just MD.

BTW welcome to both of you!

- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5153 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2017  7:13 pm  Show Profile   Check CoinMasters's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CoinMasters to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes MD stands for Machine Doubling. I did just want to say one more thing Paleteromanr. MD in strong or interesting forms is collected, but as others have said it's definitely second to most other forms of errors and varieties. Doubled Dies are probably the most sought after. The MD coins are found more easily and ease the gap when searching for better errors. I think you probably know that anyway. While I'm here I'll show you a couple of nice MD coins I recently found while searching. A 2005 nickel and a 1982 half.

Beauty is in the eye of the holder
http://www.ebay.com/sch/Coins-Paper...rne0&_sop=10
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.72 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05